Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 04:22 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Greenville, being a "can-do" city, is likely to improve the zoo and make it great rather than fold and just close the existing zoo.
Exactly. The zoo is just OK now, Greenville recognizes that, and that's why they are looking to open a new zoo or expand. Only positive. Nice to live in a "Can Do" city that recognizes shortcomings and actively works to improve / change them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 11:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,229,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I still like the Roper Mountain idea. There's GOT to be enough acreage there somewhere.
I do not know if Roper Mountain Science Center has room remaining to accomodate a zoo. Also, the rest of Roper Mountain is comprised of commercial developments and Huntington Downs.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:27 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
50 acres is still very small for a zoo. The current zoo is a sad embarrassment, a 50 year old relic from when animals were treated like objects in a museum.

I say give all the animals away to more suitable surroundings, like the 1,400 acre habitat at the North Carolina zoo, the largest "walk-through" natural-habitat zoo in the world - an actual world class facility. Then expand Cleveland Park into the current zoo location.

Close the current tragedy that Greenville calls a zoo for good. Tax dollars should not be spent on this.
Agree 5000%!

SC is a relatively small state. Riverbanks is a GREAT zoo that the entire state should be proud of. The taxpayers of Greenville have no business in the exotic animal care business.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
I don't think bigger always means better. My favorite thing about the Greenville Zoo is its size. With two small children, the size is perfect for an all day or hour long outing.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:47 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBLonghornFan View Post
I don't think bigger always means better. My favorite thing about the Greenville Zoo is its size. With two small children, the size is perfect for an all day or hour long outing.
Indeed.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:05 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,175 times
Quote:
I think bigger is better if your the animal stuck in that cramped space 24/7/365 for the rest of your life. The fact that this was your first post and now have 17 rep points, presumably from other locals, is testament to people's complete lack of empathy for what these animals are going through at the Greenville Zoo.

It's hard for me to understand that in 2011 so many people don't get how incredibly cruel this zoo is. It saddens me that so many children go through this zoo, learning that this is an acceptable way to treat animals. No wonder the local animal shelter was putting down hundreds, sometimes thousands of animals a month.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:59 AM

477 posts, read 840,718 times
Quote:
You can see it that way if you only have your own interest in mind and don't care about the animals. A very selfish reason in my opinion. I understood if you said that about a museum but we are talking about animals here. Living creatures that shouldn't live a life just to entertain us wannabe better humans.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:14 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
You can see it that way if you only have your own interest in mind and don't care about the animals. A very selfish reason in my opinion. I understood if you said that about a museum but we are talking about animals here. Living creatures that shouldn't live a life just to entertain us wannabe better humans.
Shouldn't that be, "educate" as well as/instead of "entertain"? Regardless of your personal views, the zoo still provides a valuable service.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 AM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
I think it's sad that we have groups like PETA, yet we treat our own kind so badly without concern. Watch the news, it's just entertainment filled with people hurting other people. Would it be better if the animals were out in the wild being hunted?

Old 05-19-2011, 06:54 AM

477 posts, read 840,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Shouldn't that be, "educate" as well as/instead of "entertain"? Regardless of your personal views, the zoo still provides a valuable service.
Well, of course it educates to a certain degree. But the problem here is who is paying the price for that. It's certainly not the humans and that is what is not alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area