Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:12 PM

5 posts, read 7,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
The fact that you had to leave Greenville for work in NYC speaks volumes to me....I know because I had to do the same thing! If the economy were really strong there as you suggest you would not have left in the first place...obviously there is something wrong.

Nice city but there is a ton of improvement that is needed with the job opportunities there.
Just realized there was a response to me (how exciting!). To clarify my statement a little, I left when offered an opportunity to work with a publishing house and could not stay in Greenville. It was not that I had to leave Greenville for work, at the time I had just started a great position with one of the local colleges, which I had left a previous job to take. My relocating was more a function of taking a job I really wanted in an industry that required the move.

And, to add on, now that I'm looking for further my career, I'm finding many more opportunities in Greenville with agencies and companies who have equally impressive staff talent and client rosters as those in NYC. So Greenville isn't lacking for jobs in my current field and with my experience, nor is it lagging behind in talented workforces or companies, and I can say this from experience now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:19 PM

5 posts, read 7,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I have a good friend who is leaving NYC and taking a job in Greenville because she will be making equal to better money (based on several job offers she has received in Greenville).

PLUS, she will be able to actually buy a house (rather than pay exorbitant rents in Manhattan), pay less for groceries, pay lower taxes, have a car, eventually send her kids to better schools, etc.

Just as there are people like you who have moved from Greenville to New York for work, there are others like my friend who have done the opposite. You prefer New York, and that's great. Others disagree. To each his own.
Yes - this is exactly right and includes some of the reasons I'm moving back to Greenville (plus all my family and friends are there). I've never felt at home in NYC, home has always been Greenville and within about 6 months of leaving, I knew I wouldn't be in NYC for more than 5 years. But I could easily (and plan to) put down roots in Greenville.

But I digress. Your friend is making a good decision, in my humble opinion. Any chance she might want to carpool back down?

Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
There are plenty of opportunities in Greenville, but like every city, you must place yourself in a position to achieve success. That may require more education, skill, and/or creativity, but others are proving everyday that opportunities to be successful do exist.

Why You Should Start a Company In... Greenville, South Carolina | Fast Company

Old 05-30-2012, 10:10 AM

152 posts, read 322,452 times
Is it possible for an actual city to have aquired "Short Man Syndrome"? Just a thought........

Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
Is it possible for an actual city to have aquired "Short Man Syndrome"? Just a thought........

Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
S
Quote:
Meaning? Is it the same as having the big head and being stuck in a box?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Quote:
Only if you live in Charleston.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
World's Most Spectacular Pedestrian Bridges- Page 18 - Articles | Travel + Leisure
Liberty Bridge ranks as the 18th best pedestrian bridge on the world.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...ain-streets/24
Best Main Streets in America: Greenville, SC, 24.

Last edited by BMORE; 05-30-2012 at 02:13 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 02:46 PM

152 posts, read 322,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
S

Meaning? Is it the same as having the big head and being stuck in a box?

Nah, just a question. I didn't specify a city. Just a question

You know those type of guys. The "one up" guy? He's always got a story a bit better, a car a bit faster, a girl a bit hotter, a dog a bit cooler, a beer a bit stronger. He always makes sure to let you know how much more awesome he has become overnight.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Nah, just a question. I didn't specify a city. Just a question

You know those type of guys. The "one up" guy? He's always got a story a bit better, a car a bit faster, a girl a bit hotter, a dog a bit cooler, a beer a bit stronger. He always makes sure to let you know how much more awesome he has become overnight.
Don't quite know what you're driving at, but I for one want to make sure that people looking to move to this area, and might happen upon this forum, have useful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area