Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:32 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Honestly, as a person who's considering Greenville as a possible future home, I don't know what to make of statements like this (both in this forum and others I'm visiting).

I'd call myself a fiscal conservative and social liberal on certain issues (but traditionalist on others), with moderate libertarian leanings. Frankly, when someone says a town is "progressive" it immediately goes off my short list of places I might move to. I'm not sure why you think conservative means hostile, since some of the most hostile places I've seen on the internet have been progressive forums. So, what do "extremely conservative" and "hostile" mean? If you mean the racist comments in this forum about "thugs" and such in Greenville, I've heard worse from "liberal Democrats" here in Illinois who apparently think it's OK to say terrible things about people of color ... as long as there are none of them around.
Then you'll fit in PERFECTLY here! I personally am a "Ron Paul" conservative - I have no ethnic or cultural prejudices, but believe everyone should make their own way and pay their own way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 03:26 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon View Post
I lived in Greenville for nearly 12 years before moving away to NYC for work four years ago. I'm moving back this year and cannot wait. Greenville has such a fantastic mix of culture, natural resources, activity opportunities, and a relatively strong economy that it's a tough place to beat (if you dig the warm weather you'll get in the summer...but then that's life in the South).

I've missed it since I left and I cannot wait to come back this Spring. I'll see you soon, Greenville!
The fact that you had to leave Greenville for work in NYC speaks volumes to me....I know because I had to do the same thing! If the economy were really strong there as you suggest you would not have left in the first place...obviously there is something wrong.

Nice city but there is a ton of improvement that is needed with the job opportunities there.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
The fact that you had to leave Greenville for work in NYC speaks volumes to me....I know because I had to do the same thing! If the economy were really strong there as you suggest you would not have left in the first place...obviously there is something wrong.

Nice city but there is a ton of improvement that is needed with the job opportunities there.
I haven't had to leave nyb. Lol!

Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,373,752 times
Quote:
That argument is extremely weak. First of all, if you find a job in NYC and want it bad enough, then obviously you must relocate—unless you are crazy enough to commute back and forth between SC and NY. Secondly, NYC is not the only place in the USA with available opportunities for employment. Lots of job openings can be found in many cities across the country, including Greenville, SC. Of course I am not suggesting everyone will be qualified for any available job. Lastly, anyone could easily flip your comments around and say, "The fact that you had to leave NYC for work in Greenville speaks volumes to me. If the economy were really strong there as you suggest, then you would not have left in the first place. Obviously there is something wrong."

Old 02-18-2012, 08:53 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
That argument is extremely weak. First of all, if you find a job in NYC and want it bad enough, then obviously you must relocate—unless you are crazy enough to commute back and forth between SC and NY. Secondly, NYC is not the only place in the USA with available opportunities for employment. Lots of job openings can be found in many cities across the country, including Greenville, SC. Of course I am not suggesting everyone will be qualified for any available job. Lastly, anyone could easily flip your comments around and say, "The fact that you had to leave NYC for work in Greenville speaks volumes to me. If the economy were really strong there as you suggest, then you would not have left in the first place. Obviously there is something wrong."
Agreed 100%. Oh and just for the record, I miss this Skyliner.

Last edited by g-man430; 02-18-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 05:49 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,468,524 times
Quote:

I have a good friend who is leaving NYC and taking a job in Greenville because she will be making equal to better money (based on several job offers she has received in Greenville).

PLUS, she will be able to actually buy a house (rather than pay exorbitant rents in Manhattan), pay less for groceries, pay lower taxes, have a car, eventually send her kids to better schools, etc.

Just as there are people like you who have moved from Greenville to New York for work, there are others like my friend who have done the opposite. You prefer New York, and that's great. Others disagree. To each his own.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you mis-interpreted the phrase "before moving away to NYC for work". It could very well (and probably does) mean that their job took them to NYC, not necessarily that they had to move to NYC to find work.

I could be wrong..... But then again, so could you!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 AM

81 posts, read 249,258 times
Default Great links

Thanks gsupstate for the excellent info you posted; family is moving to GVille area this summer so it is nice to be reassured that we made a good choice.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:36 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,509 times
I must say my visit to Greenville this weekend was excellent as usual; the only thing I would like to address about the Upstate as a whole is why are there so many billboards? It kind of throws off the appeal of some areas. (please, i mean PLEASE dont take offense to it or bite my head off)

Old 02-20-2012, 05:38 AM

I guess maybe the South is different in that way from other areas (?). I've never really noticed them, but then I grew up in the South, so.... It's funny though, we go to Seattle a couple times a year, and other areas once or twice a year, and I've never taken notice of a difference in the amount of roadside advertising in different areas. Just one of those things, I guess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area