Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
Let me beat all the naysayers on this one. Any and all the claims can be disputed one way or another. But the fact that Greenville is showing up on all these lists has to say something. I personally feel that Greenville has and is positioning itself to be a first class city. Is it there yet? I would say no, but well on it's way.
I think you are right overall. I just think Greenville has way too far to go for us to wait around. The changes are somewhat superficial and thin. Nothing is really going to change the extremely conservative culture here. It can be quite a hostile culture at times, as this forum can reflect sometimes.

I've lived in a couple of places that make, or used to make, these lists on a regular basis. Some cities stop showing up all of a sudden. I don't think much really changes to make them not show up, except that the city's leaders feel like they no longer need to actively market their city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1 View Post
Let me beat all the naysayers on this one. Any and all the claims can be disputed one way or another. But the fact that Greenville is showing up on all these lists has to say something. I personally feel that Greenville has and is positioning itself to be a first class city. Is it there yet? I would say no, but well on it's way.
Agreed.

Two notes and both are wins for Greenville:

1. Greenville is NOT asking to be on these list. That is just a silly idea. "Hey Mens Journal, we're Greenville and we want to make your top 10 list"...... Errrrr, don't think so.

2. If there are some of the lists that Greenville can force it's way on, or "stuff the ballot box", then that is a GREAT attitude to have and the "can do" attitude I fell in love with when I first came to Greenville. A city and citizens that wants to be the best......wants to make the top 10......that's a great attitude to see. Would much rather see love for a city than apathy (which is the attitude in many cities, including some in SC).

Old 08-10-2011, 01:27 PM

5,485 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I think you are right overall. I just think Greenville has way too far to go for us to wait around. The changes are somewhat superficial and thin. Nothing is really going to change the extremely conservative culture here. It can be quite a hostile culture at times, as this forum can reflect sometimes.

I've lived in a couple of places that make, or used to make, these lists on a regular basis. Some cities stop showing up all of a sudden. I don't think much really changes to make them not show up, except that the city's leaders feel like they no longer need to actively market their city.
Would it be better if it were extremely liberal?

Old 08-10-2011, 02:05 PM

915 posts, read 2,423,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Would it be better if it were extremely liberal?
Clearly, because nothing is "superficial" or "thin" in those places. Every extra tax dollar that they collect is completely accounted for, and used in the most beneficial way for the residents.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
clearly, because nothing is "superficial" or "thin" in those places. Every extra tax dollar that they collect is completely accounted for, and used in the most beneficial way for the residents.
lmao!!!!! rep to you!

Old 08-11-2011, 01:47 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Nothing is really going to change the extremely conservative culture here. It can be quite a hostile culture at times, as this forum can reflect sometimes.
Honestly, as a person who's considering Greenville as a possible future home, I don't know what to make of statements like this (both in this forum and others I'm visiting).

I'd call myself a fiscal conservative and social liberal on certain issues (but traditionalist on others), with moderate libertarian leanings. Frankly, when someone says a town is "progressive" it immediately goes off my short list of places I might move to. I'm not sure why you think conservative means hostile, since some of the most hostile places I've seen on the internet have been progressive forums. So, what do "extremely conservative" and "hostile" mean? If you mean the racist comments in this forum about "thugs" and such in Greenville, I've heard worse from "liberal Democrats" here in Illinois who apparently think it's OK to say terrible things about people of color ... as long as there are none of them around.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Greenville is the 5th Most Fun, Affordable City according to Better Homes & Gardens.

Better Homes & Gardens along "with real estate data company Onboard Informatics, evaluated 6,106 Zip Codes where the median home price is within 20 percent of the state’s median home price. It then selected the 25 areas with the greatest number of bars and restaurants."

I think the most interesting aspect of the top 25 is that it almost entirely consists of tourism destinations and college towns. I wouldn't describe Greenville as either one, so we're basically just awesome on our own.

America's Most Fun, Affordable Cities: Good Times, Low Prices - BusinessWeek
I just saw this on WYFF. Great to see!
Business Week: Greenville Makes Top 5 List - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/r/28840032/detail.html - broken link)

Old 08-11-2011, 11:51 PM

144 posts, read 295,864 times
These list (I have no idea if they are biased or not and it is very possible that they might be...if nothing else it could be just lazy journalism) can be used by people for some nice self gratification, but the main thing that makes me upbeat about these list is that it could possibly help new jobs show up and right now that is really what it is all about.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 AM

7 posts, read 8,609 times
Greenville is continuing to grow and improve as opposed to dying and people moving out like a lot of cities are doing.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:08 PM

5 posts, read 7,703 times
Default I can believe it

I lived in Greenville for nearly 12 years before moving away to NYC for work four years ago. I'm moving back this year and cannot wait. Greenville has such a fantastic mix of culture, natural resources, activity opportunities, and a relatively strong economy that it's a tough place to beat (if you dig the warm weather you'll get in the summer...but then that's life in the South).

I've missed it since I left and I cannot wait to come back this Spring. I'll see you soon, Greenville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area