Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:30 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,552,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
The same could be said for those who choose to live in an urban environment.
Very true - that is understood to also be part of the logic for what I just said. My point is, it's a person's choice where to live, and a reasonable person wouldn't whine about lack of those services if they freely chose to live in a rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 06:57 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,766,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
There are also disadvantages. What happens when the gubmint shuts down the light rail system and you are without a car and you want to get somewhere?
Simple - rent or car sharing. Those systems work well in other cities. I assume you are talking about a temporary shutdown. If the light rail economics work, private enterprise would take it over after a gubmint shutdown.

Since you love sprawl, you must be in ecstasy about Atlanta, and probably planning to move there!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,464,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgubers View Post
I wasn't going to post on this, but it has gotten to be too much for me not too. How many of you frequent Falls Park? Do like it? Do you think its awesome? and serves the greater community? Well I have news for you, the land was privately owned and the city used eminent domain to possess it. Boom. The government at work. Guess yah can't go downtown now. Oh and you say all of this is for the government to steal your money? Ok. That makes sense. not. For every vehicle sold that qualifies for the 7500 dollar tax credit i.e. the Nissan Leaf, it loses that money. And I'm pretty sure the Bible commands us to be good stewards of the earth, developing less land and creating density helps with that. I'm pretty sure the Bible isn't in cohorts with the American Government, just saying. On top of that no one is forcing you to live in high density housing , you have the choice. It just turns out that the market is demanding high density housing. Actually the world is re-urbaninizing, on its own. Geeez people, you can have an opinion, but base it on facts. And if the facts don't agree with your opinion please don't call it a conspiracy.
The difference there is that the land is being used for public use not corporate or government use/takeover which is what Agenda 21 is all about.

I found the bill in the SC state legislature that is what is fostering this whole thing in SC. H 3604. 2011-2012 Bill 3604 Text of Previous Version (Apr. 25, 2012) - South Carolina Legislature Online

They are calling it "retrofitting shopping malls" but if you read it, it aims to do a lot more than that.

After you read through all the happy descriptions of the infrastructure changes...note that it also says at the end it will: ....develop a set of legal incentives including, but not limited to, permitting by rights, replacing traffic impact exactions, and other state mandated assessments with a fair mobility fee, creating special state taxing districts for public improvements to sites, and funding for design and construction of the parking and transit infrastructure.

That means higher taxes or legal stealing of our money in the form of "mobility fees" ---WONDERFUL! Isn't this just what we all need, more fees just to continue to live here minding our own business while the UN, gubmint and corporations scheme up programs to separate us from our money and our property.

Did any of us ask for this? Of course not. So why should we have to pay for it?

Time to get busy people and write to your state legislator and tell them to oppose H 3604. If there is to be "greening", let it be done by the private sector at their expense NOT at taxpayer expense. Everytime government gets involved in anything it costs us MORE money and ends up being a disaster. Look at student loans. Look at government backed mortgages. Look at Education. The last thing we need is greening through the government in bed with corporations and non-profit government organizations (NGOs) --especially when they intend to give us no say. We need to STOP it.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 PM

JR_C said: Who told you that?!? There are about 66.4 million acres in New Zealand. 66.4 x 4 = 265.6. There are a lot more than 266 million people on earth.

Well maybe I got it wrong but there are 1.88 Billions of acres in Australia and 7 Billion people in the world.
So you could give every family of 4 in the world a home on a quarter acre of land in Australia and have the rest of the world left to heal itself from all the "terrible global warming that man has caused from too much driving of their automobiles" that the elites like Al Gore want to make us feel guilty about when it isn't our fault at all. It is the big corporations fault if anything. Why isn't all this "greening" aimed at them? They are the real polluters and destroyers of the environment.

Last edited by emilybh; 04-27-2012 at 10:24 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 11:18 PM

130 posts, read 224,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
JR_C said: Who told you that?!? There are about 66.4 million acres in New Zealand. 66.4 x 4 = 265.6. There are a lot more than 266 million people on earth.

Well maybe I got it wrong but there are 1.88 Billions of acres in Australia and 7 Billion people in the world.
So you could give every family of 4 in the world a home on a quarter acre of land in Australia and have the rest of the world left to heal itself from all the "terrible global warming that man has caused from too much driving of their automobiles" that the elites like Al Gore want to make us feel guilty about when it isn't our fault at all. It is the big corporations fault if anything. Why isn't all this "greening" aimed at them? They are the real polluters and destroyers of the environment.
Yet you wouldn't want the government to regulate corporation because then its involving itself with private matters. Do you like driving on roads? because your "stolen money" pays for infrastructure, the United States has some of the lowest tax rates in the World. And fine then, you don't like my Falls Park example, I'll give you another, RiverPlace, the city had to use eminent domain to gain control of that property to build a private development. Finally nobody will take you seriously when you say gubmint. I mean what the hell is that anyway? its not even a word.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:19 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,807,662 times
I honestly have no idea what is going on in this thread. I think Greenville Forward and Vision 2025 are awesome. Could care less if they were developed due to Agenda 21 or whatever it's called. Oh and Emilybh, go out to a bar and have a few beers. Life is good. Enjoy it.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Quote:
Yet you wouldn't want the government to regulate corporation because then its involving itself with private matters. Do you like driving on roads? because your "stolen money" pays for infrastructure, the United States has some of the lowest tax rates in the World. And fine then, you don't like my Falls Park example, I'll give you another, RiverPlace, the city had to use eminent domain to gain control of that property to build a private development. Finally nobody will take you seriously when you say gubmint. I mean what the hell is that anyway? its not even a word.

Its the same with anti-Rail / Transit ppl , I don't take them seriously if they say "Choo Choo" what is this 3rd grade.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly Falls Park was land that was donated to Greenville. That is HARDLY a good analogy as to how governments are approaching this whole sustainability stuff and ramming it down the taxpayers throats whether they like it or not.

The point is that if the taxpayers are paying for it, the taxpayers should WANT it and agree as to what it should cost. It shouldn't be forced on them.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I honestly have no idea what is going on in this thread. I think Greenville Forward and Vision 2025 are awesome. Could care less if they were developed due to Agenda 21 or whatever it's called. Oh and Emilybh, go out to a bar and have a few beers. Life is good. Enjoy it.
G-man it is all relative. You must be about 20 years old and not even remember what this country used to be like when it actually was a free country. For a lot of people being able to have their cable TV and watch their sports on the weekend and partying is all they care about.

They don't care if they are spied on by the government.
They don't care what chemicals or genetically engineered agents might be in their food or whether eating it might make them sick in 15 years--as long as it tastes good.
They don't care about the rat poison in their water (flouride).
They don't even know that the National Defense Authorization Act was signed by the president on New Year's Eve which essentially nullifies the Constitution and turned the country into a police state where they can be detained indefinitely by the government even if they aren't accused of anything and they no longer have a right to call family or friends and let them know where they are nor do they have a right to a trial by jury.
They don't care about the TSA agents groping them or nuking them in airports and in some places harassing them on buses.

Those people might not wake up until they are forced out of their neighborhood because Greenville county tells them it is being turned into a nature preserve. Even then they may be so dumbed down they'd just do what they were told thinking the government knows best.

It is pretty sad that so many people are content with the way things are. Where is that fighting spirit, (that Spartanburg county seems to still have) that South Carolinians had when they valued their sovereignty? That spirit was one of the reasons I moved to this state but I guess I was wrong and things have changed.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:49 PM

130 posts, read 224,999 times
Moderator, can this thread be closed, it has nothing to do with Greenville now and everything to do with close minded political conspiracy theories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area