Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,064 times

Advertisements

I'm considering trying to open a pie shop in this location, can I get some opinions? I love the location: it's right next to Sticky Fingers, opens to a courtyard, and is right between Falls Park and Mast General. I'd be selling savory (chicken pot pie, steak and ale, etc.) and sweet (apple, peach-blueberry, pecan) pies made with local ingredients. I'm a little concerned about the location, though. This is the 2nd business to close in that location, can I get a 2nd opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodrowCall View Post
I'm considering trying to open a pie shop in this location, can I get some opinions? I love the location: it's right next to Sticky Fingers, opens to a courtyard, and is right between Falls Park and Mast General. I'd be selling savory (chicken pot pie, steak and ale, etc.) and sweet (apple, peach-blueberry, pecan) pies made with local ingredients. I'm a little concerned about the location, though. This is the 2nd business to close in that location, can I get a 2nd opinion?
I'm hearing they closed this store due to rent rates. It's in a fantastic location though and Liquid Highway always seemed busy when they were there. Also, Liquid Highway itself isn't doing well as a company right now. They've closed several locations and haven't even updated their Facebook page in over a year. They don't seem to be involved within the community anymore like they used to be. Your idea of a pie shop sounds fantastic. I'd definitely stop in.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I'm hearing they closed this store due to rent rates. It's in a fantastic location though and Liquid Highway always seemed busy when they were there. Also, Liquid Highway itself isn't doing well as a company right now. They've closed several locations and haven't even updated their Facebook page in over a year. They don't seem to be involved within the community anymore like they used to be. Your idea of a pie shop sounds fantastic. I'd definitely stop in.
I've called FRI, the management company, about the property, but haven't heard back from them yet. I'm hoping the rates aren't astronomical, or at least the FRI might've learned after two closures that they might need to be lowered to stimulate things in that location.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:51 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
<FUTURE CUSTOMER HERE>

Old 12-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
<FUTURE CUSTOMER HERE>
Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how to work that testimonial into my business plan!

Old 12-18-2011, 06:01 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
Quote:
Chicken Pot Pie? I'd be happy to be your taste tester I recently found The Velo Fellow downtown on Augusta to have a fantastic Chicken Potted and Pied, as they call it. It would be great to have another place that offers a variety of pies - sweet and savory.

If you have a good product, good service and good pricing, you can go just about anywhere in the city, people will find you if you make a good name for yourself. Just please, don't go on Woodruff Rd. If the rents downtown are too high, I'd welcome you find a place closer to my home in Greer

Hope you find the right place for you. Good luck!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:30 PM

80 posts, read 134,226 times
Quote:
I'm considering trying to open a pie shop in this location....
One more thing to look forward to seeing when we move to Greenville!

(I'll be the token "weirdo" and ask for vegetarian savory options, please.)

Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 AM

144 posts, read 296,111 times
Rent rates downtown should be somewhere between $15-19 per foot for that space.

Depending on your background, financial statement, experience and what you are asking for tenant improvement cost it could vary.

In my opinion that location is very good, perhaps the best downtown and it has outdoor seating both front and back.

1. There must be a total reworking of the inside. Keep the kitchen set up but do not let anyone be reminded of the last two flops. (both bad business models and not location driven problems.)

2. Whatever it takes..do not let the homeless and or vagrants own that outdoor area. (This is one main reason liquid highway closed)

3. If they will not negotiate on that space look at the one just around the corner which has never had a tenant in it. It is missing some of the outdoor seating element but it might be much cheaper and it would be brand new space and not have any stigma attached.

PM me if you want some more info.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:25 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincoglionita View Post
(I'll be the token "weirdo" and ask for vegetarian savory options, please.)
That's not weird! I'm an omnivore, but opt sometimes for vegetarian versions of different things for a change. Most times, I find them just as satisfying and delicious (though not always low-cal )

Old 12-19-2011, 11:53 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Clever names draw attention, but be careful. For instance the dictionary definitions of Potted and Pied - a play on words - actually means planted or sealed in a jar, and two colors.

I went to school with a Miss.Pye. The one place I hear the word "pied" most often is Kennel Club dog shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area