Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times

Advertisements

Bi-Lo has been at Vaughn's at East North since 1995 when it acquired Sav-A-Center from A&P. (The North Hills store, a relocation, opened in the late 1980s, and Hudson Road store, a new store, opened in 1992.) The area around in recent years.[/quote]

Yeah I remember the Sav-A-Center. Bilo used to snap up leases when chains left the market to prevent competitors from coming in. Things are so different now. There is so much competition in the grocery business from club stores/dollar stores on every corner/ drug stores/ Walmart-Target/ Natural stores like WholeFoods-Earthfare/small grocers like Aldi-Sav-a-lot and many are so close together. Its mind boggling how they all surive. I think we are going to see more mergers and closings going on with supermarkets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:45 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Ni Hao Buffett next to Sticky Fingers on Woodruff Road has closed. Petco, Complete Nutrition, and Famous Hair will be opening soon in the Point shopping complex soon however.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Yeah I remember the Sav-A-Center. Bilo used to snap up leases when chains left the market to prevent competitors from coming in. Things are so different now. There is so much competition in the grocery business from club stores/dollar stores on every corner/ drug stores/ Walmart-Target/ Natural stores like WholeFoods-Earthfare/small grocers like Aldi-Sav-a-lot and many are so close together. Its mind boggling how they all surive. I think we are going to see more mergers and closings going on with supermarkets.
For those who do not remember Sav-A-Center, it was an A&P. You can call it the last A&P to operate in upstate South Carolina. (The Bi-Lo on South Pleasanburg Drive and Mauldin Road operated as Sav-A-Center also.)

Any supermarket chain undergoing a merger or restructuring will have store closures involved. Food Lion and Bi-Lo/Winn Dixie are experiencing those changes. On the other hand, Ingle's and Publix are expanding their presence with new stores or complete rebuilds.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I haven't been by to confirm, but word is that Underwood Nursery off of Haywood Road has closed.
They're still open: Upstate Nursery Seeks Head Cashier (http://greenville.craigslist.org/ret/2851252228.html - broken link)

Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
They're still open: Upstate Nursery Seeks Head Cashier (http://greenville.craigslist.org/ret/2851252228.html - broken link)
The employer does not disclose itself as Underwood Nursery. There are many other nurseries in the Greenville area.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM

266 posts, read 1,025,565 times
Formano's on Woodruff Rd closed (I didn't see this listed). So upset about this one as it had GREAT food!

Owner stated it was because of greedy landlords and didn't mention they were reopening anywhere else.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 PM

288 posts, read 948,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmomof2 View Post
Formano's on Woodruff Rd closed (I didn't see this listed). So upset about this one as it had GREAT food!

Owner stated it was because of greedy landlords and didn't mention they were reopening anywhere else.
So sad! Wherever will I get my lobster rolls and fried clams?

Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmomof2 View Post

That's really scary if true... I've seen more businesses close locally due to high rent vs low business activity. There's something wrong with that picture.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:45 PM

76 posts, read 173,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
That's really scary if true... I've seen more businesses close locally due to high rent vs low business activity. There's something wrong with that picture.
Yeah, I agree. In the current environment, telling a local business that is doing well (my own opinion, as Formano's was always busy) that they are raising their rent to a point that makes the owner close as it no longer makes sense to operate is crazy! So I guess no rent is the better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbird View Post
Yeah, I agree. In the current environment, telling a local business that is doing well (my own opinion, as Formano's was always busy) that they are raising their rent to a point that makes the owner close as it no longer makes sense to operate is crazy! So I guess no rent is the better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems to me when a place closes they always say its because the rent went up. I don't believe there is so much demand around town for all these rents to be going up. Way too many vacant spots in strip centers. I think alot of these businesses get concessions on their first lease and then when its up and goes to normal rate-They are out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area