Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,701 times

Advertisements

I was very surprised Charter didn't offer me anything to stay with them after my intro TV package expired. Not on the phone, nor when I brought the receiver into the office to return it. Oh well, good riddance. I love DirecTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
I was very surprised Charter didn't offer me anything to stay with them after my intro TV package expired. Not on the phone, nor when I brought the receiver into the office to return it. Oh well, good riddance. I love DirecTV.
Same thing happened to me. Went to Laurens and turned the receiver in and no tried to talk me out of it... Oh well been living without cable for about 4 months and haven't missed it much.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Same thing happened to me. Went to Laurens and turned the receiver in and no tried to talk me out of it... Oh well been living without cable for about 4 months and haven't missed it much.

Surprised at this. We have had internet only with them for about a month, and they won't stop calling to try to get us to take TV and Phone. They are quite pushy about it too, enough so that I had to block their numbers from my phone system.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:09 PM

10,108 posts, read 7,775,270 times
Anyone ever hear of Frontier for internet? Evidently it's in my area but I had never heard of it. I did a quick google of their reviews and they aren't so great but maybe I'll give them a try for a month or so. They are broadband and get up to 6M speed and it's called broadband max service. .

Home |*Frontier Handled With Care

As far as TV, does Dish or Direct let you try them for a month? Do they do a trial offer? lol I know...stupid question.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
It's the JC Penney model: offer the best possible price to everyone, not just those with time to spare looking for sales and coupons. In Charter's case, they're offering the best prices to everyone, not just those who take the time to call in every 6 months. That also cost them just to staff the customer service to answer the calls, so in effect, they were rewarding the wrong people.

It does cost them, say $600 to acquire each new customer, but it doesn't pay them to operate at a loss to avoid losing customers.
I don't think that JC Penney model worked for JC Penney. They have since gone back to coupons and sales.

Attention JC Penney Shoppers, Look Out for the Return of ‘Sales Galore’ | TIME.com

Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM

I called again to ask for a customer care rep. Those were who I had spoken to prior. So I have talked to 3 in the past 2 days. Anyway, this rep and I talked for a good while. She was nice and tried to help me understand the way it is now with Charter.

She agreed that only new customers get a promo price and only if existing customers leave for at least 31 days and come back will they get a promo.

She said in some areas where Charter service is provided, they do offer promos to regular customers. She said those areas will have competition so they'll need to have promos but in the upstate, there won't be promos any longer. I guess since so little competition they know they have you so no need for promos. She agreed with that logic and seemed to think that's the way is was w/Charter.

I asked if they were having a lot of people leave for 31 days and come back in order to get promos. She said not too many because most people don't want to mess with it and the 50.00 fee (installation or whatever fee) to come back.

See? They have it all figured out. They know there isn't competition so why would they need to offer promos when they know we have no where else to go and we aren't going to leave for 31 and have to pay a 50.00 fee.

Oh well, I know I gave it my best and it is what it is. Hopefully in the near future another cable company comes to the area to make for some competition.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:25 PM

672 posts, read 1,418,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
for internet I agree. DSL just isn't as competitive with the fastest cable speeds.

However, for TV, I can't imagine anyone not being satisfied after switching to Dish from Charter. We did so 2 years ago and it was cheaper and better. 2 years later I'd say the same thing - easily better than Charter. Clearer picture and DVR serving multiple rooms all averaging less per month than we were paying for Charter with a worse picture and no DVR. I never plan to use Charter for TV again.
Don't you run into the same problem with satellite providers...ie rates being raised after the first year, and every year after? Or is the initial price difference that great? My father in law dumped his dish after years, because his rates kept going up. Just wondering.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:01 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,911,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
Don't you run into the same problem with satellite providers...ie rates being raised after the first year, and every year after? Or is the initial price difference that great? My father in law dumped his dish after years, because his rates kept going up. Just wondering.
You do. It goes up slightly after 12 mos and then a little more after 24. The first 12 mos with Dish we had HBO, DVR in multiple rooms, a box with a true HDMI connection, all for $34.99/month with dish. We were paying $80something with Charter with NO HBO, NO DVR, and our box didn't even have an HDMI output (you had to go with a DVR box to get that). After 1 year it was $50, and this year it is $65. The average price has been WAY lower than Charter and our service has been consistent and good without. YMMV.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Surprised at this. We have had internet only with them for about a month, and they won't stop calling to try to get us to take TV and Phone. They are quite pushy about it too, enough so that I had to block their numbers from my phone system.
Yeah ever since I just got internet they are constantly calling to try and get me to add TV and phone but I explained I just want internet or internet and TV if it's about 75 bucks or less.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 PM

826 posts, read 1,126,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Anyone ever hear of Frontier for internet? Evidently it's in my area but I had never heard of it. I did a quick google of their reviews and they aren't so great but maybe I'll give them a try for a month or so. They are broadband and get up to 6M speed and it's called broadband max service. .

Home |*Frontier Handled With Care

As far as TV, does Dish or Direct let you try them for a month? Do they do a trial offer? lol I know...stupid question.
Yeah, At&T sold off DSL rights for Simpsonville or at least part of it. The two people I know that have them have nothing good to say that is for sure.

Good info that you have leave charter 31 days to get a new customer rate. Better than six months like many other cable/sat companies. If I have solid straight month of traveling for work, I might see about cancelling. I work from home when not traveling so I can't go without internet for a month.

I can't bring myself to switch to Dish for TV. I worked tech support for them back in college, just too many things to go wrong, most involving a 99 service call. Sitting in Quaker Steak on Sunday and them losing signal during the heavy rain certainly didn't do anything to change my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area