Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to South Carolina: Greenville, job market, fibromyalgia treatment, buy a home, real estate.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:15 PM

8 posts, read 18,125 times

Advertisements

We are heading up this weekend to take a look around the area and to see if it is somewhere we would like to move. I'm very excited!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 08:24 AM

609 posts, read 1,621,470 times
good luck!

and again, browse Mauldin

Old 10-14-2007, 09:51 AM

73 posts, read 178,399 times
We just relocated here from Colorado- sight unseen. We have really taken the time to drive areas and research schools. It's funny, but everything you requested in an area is exactly what we were looking for as it is similar to what we had in Colorado (we lived in the mountains with some land).

Here are our observations:

We LOVED Greer. The area is beautiful and if you look at properties on the north side of the business strip it has properties that you would enjoy for the price you want. It is hilly and a lot of areas have 1+ acres in the $150k price range. There was one house in particular that we really liked- $158k for 2,400 sq ft, 3 bed 2 bath home on a very large (just shy of an acre) lot in a beautiful area. The home needed cosmetic updating but other than that- gorgeous. What's nice is that in this area, and much of the Greenville area, there are real estate deals to be found.

Many of the schools in the area perform at or above the state averages in test scores and the classrooms seem to be kept at 20 kids in class and under. Everyone brags about the Wren school district but I really think the schools in this area do quite well too.

I noticed while driving by that they are also putting in a large workout facility (comparable to a Bally's or 24 hour fitness). Greer also has a children's theatre. The old town district was really charming and this town is really working hard at putting themselves on the map.

Simpsonville- cute and developing but not as wooded as we would have liked. There is a good mixture of affordable as well as high end homes/horse farms.

Easley/Powdersville/Riverside (Hwy 153 corridor)- We ended up purchasing a fabulous house in Riverside on over an acre. The school district is Wren school district which is suppose to be fabulous and the reason why people move here but to be honest, we have found the school system not that desireable. The classes are packed (my first grader has 26 kids in class, 1 teacher and no assistant) and I don't feel the school has a solid plan in place to make sure children don't fall through the cracks. However, the people are very nice, the area is slowly growing and the area, for being not being a mountain suburb, has areas that are beautifully treed and naturally developed. Also, in Easley, there are a lot of reasonably priced homes. There definately could be more for family & kid recreation here, however, I think the community is working towards that.

Anderson was quite charming and I love the diversity of the people there- all colors and cultures seem to be blended nicely there. They have a lot of modern stores without the inconviences of getting to them as in Greenville as well as some interesting looking mom and pop shops- a nice blend.

One thing that was a shocker when we moved to the Greenville area is the lack of parks and public recreation. In the Denver metro-area we are use to parks in every community, lots of open space and and an over abundance of hiking & biking trails. Here, the only parks that we can really find are in brand new housing communities and they are usually small and lacking. I think there is recreation to be had here, but it's not very obvious and you really have to search for it. The lack of playgrounds for kids was really dumbfounding.
In reading the newspapers, though, Greenville is really being proactive in creating more of an outdoor environment and movement. Cleaning up of rivers for recreation, creating parks, etc. so I think the best is yet to come.

One piece of advise I would have is once you settle on a house call the local sheriff's office to ask for a crime report in the area. You'll be surprised. We were settled on one house that was our perfect mountan get away- 4 acres on top of a mountain with the most amazing view. You would never guess anything happened in the area as it was pretty secluded. After a call to the sheriff's office come to find out there had been several burglaries in the area, assaults, etc. Surprising.

Another thing I would do is check familywatchdog for a list of offenders in your area. There were several homes that we LOVED only to find out that a child molester lived right around the corner.

Other fun notes of interest (keep in mind, this is just compared to what we are use to):
  • There are a LOT of churches and even more dead people (cemetaries everywhere)
  • Many of the schools are beautiful looking (they all look brand new or recently updated)
  • Many Mexican restaurants are called restaurante
  • Every time we are in downtown Greenville I am surprised at how many high end cars there are- it's almost like visiting a car show- lots of fun!

Have fun looking and if you need the name of an agent who will definately go the distance for you, please let me know. We've been very pleased with ours.

Best Wishes!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Our Trip

Ty so much slumber, what great information!!

Well we did our fly-by-night visit to the Greenville area and I have to say over all I'm impressed. We went to Fall for Greenville and had a great time, we spent some time at the 80th year celebration at the Shriner' s Children's Hospital, we ate great food (wild game and crepes), took a scenic cruise of the mountains, and briefly explored the 3 school districts I like on paper...not bad for 2.5 days! The area I would be looking at most seriously if I chose right now would be the riverside/east side school district area. I didn't get to see as much of Greer as I would like to, but I liked the Taylors older communities with personalities.

Anderson seemed nice, but I wasn't very fond of the Piedmont. We didn't get a chance to see Easley. The majority of all the area were clean, which I love to see that respect for your town/state. Old downtown Greenville was great I love the stores, unique restaurants, and the very friendly people.

I wish I could have stayed in the area and made it my home. Just have to get some jobs and take the plunge.... if anyone has information on IT companies or Mental Health please let me know.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:41 AM

5,596 posts, read 15,400,061 times
Slumberval and binear, thank you both so much for your reports! It is wonderful to read about your first impressions of this pleasant city. Others reading, please take notice and don't be misled by the negative comments of the very tiny (albeit vocal) group of misfits. Most people really do love Greenville and are eager to move in and make a positive difference.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:44 AM

Default The job search continues....

Even prior to our visit to Greenville area my husband was looking for jobs and has hit it even harder upon returning and finding that Greenville is the place we want to be. I guess my expectations are too high because I expected that by now he would have been asked for at least one interview, I know it is to our disadvantage to be out-of-state looking for a job, but I thought that if it was communicated well that he is willing to do phone interviews and/or drive up for an in-person at any time, he would get some takers. My husband's resume is very well written, he has a lot of experience in the IT (Oracle) field and supervisory experience along with having a double major B.S. (computer science & psychology) and minor (math). They only people who have contacted him directly are IT recruiters which have said that his resume is great and he will have no problem finding a job for more then he is asking for...... and so we continue to wait..... Has anyone been through this and/or have any suggestions for us?

We can't move until he has a job, but as soon as one is secured he will give a 2-week notice and he will be up there renting or even living in a camper if necessary. After he gets a job, our house will go on the market and I will follow shortly behind and start my job search in mental health. My husband is applying to several jobs a week and has several recruiters looking for him, let me know if you know of any companies we perhaps have not tried.

Any tips/suggestions/pep talks are always gladly welcome and appreciated, thank you in advance.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Another wonderful visit

We were able to stay for 9 days this time, over the Christmas holiday along with my parents (from Michigan, 1st time visitors), who stayed for over 2 weeks. They were equally impressed with Greenville and the surrounding areas upon their arrival and continued to like it more and more the longer they stayed... and there you have it yet another family taken over by the area and has made the decision to set up shop there asap. We saw more of the surrounding area this time: Greer, Taylors, Pendleton, Clemson, Westminster, Pickens, Easley, Seneca, etc. and everyone we met was very friendly. My husband and I looked at several apartments to start our transition immediately upon hire, we were happy with what was available for the price. We each have our resumes circulating around the city and hope that we will have some luck soon. I hope everyone had a joyous hoilday!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:42 AM

58 posts, read 165,589 times
With regard to Greenville County School System, you can get the report cards and other important details at this web site
http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/index.asp

As for jobs, you want to check the Sunday edition of the The Greenville News http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Greenville County crime: http://www.gcso.org/

With regard to the area, my husband and I moved here in 1995 from the NJ.
The fastest growing area in the County is Simpsonville. Being in the business of helping people find homes, I can tell you that you are able to purchase homes within the county which sit on 1/3 acre plus. Where I live all homes sit on 1-2 acres lots. Your price point will obviously be the determining factor for your home search.

Anderson County is a rural county by comparison with more open land but, for culture and medical facilities Greenville County is where you will travel to. For retirees, this is a great place to settle down and enjoy life because of the wonderful weather and our close proximity to fun things to do: visiting the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC or shopping in Atlanta, to camping in the mountains, or boating on our lakes, and very affordable housing. Example -
my 80 yr old mother lives in a 1br apartment with a terrace. Complex has tennis courts, swimming pool, and laundry facilities. Is located 1 block from mall and restaurants and 5 mins. to hospital and other medical facilities. In NJ, this apartment would cost her $1000/month. Mom has paid $475/month
since she arrived here in 2000. (!!!!!!) No rent increase...imagine that!

The Upstate region of SC has a very mild winter in comparison to what you are used to, and though mid-summer gets a bit humid it cannot be compared to the humidity of Atlanta or Florida. Thankfully, hurricanes are not an issue for us. Here the threat of snow/ice is major for unlike the northern states we don't have sand and snow trucks. In many areas here utilities are above ground, therefore, an ice storm can cause major headaches with downed utilites. But you know what? Ask anyone who has relocated here, and no doubt the majority will tell you they'll take the chance of an ice storm here and there in order that they may enjoy the wonderful quality of life they have found here in the Upstate region.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 AM

857 posts, read 4,881,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcetta View Post
With regard to Greenville County School System, you can get the report cards and other important details at this web site
Greenville County Schools Online

As for jobs, you want to check the Sunday edition of the The Greenville News GreenvilleOnline.com

Greenville County crime: Greenville County Sheriff's Office Home Page

With regard to the area, my husband and I moved here in 1995 from the NJ.
The fastest growing area in the County is Simpsonville. Being in the business of helping people find homes, I can tell you that you are able to purchase homes within the county which sit on 1/3 acre plus. Where I live all homes sit on 1-2 acres lots. Your price point will obviously be the determining factor for your home search.

Anderson County is a rural county by comparison with more open land but, for culture and medical facilities Greenville County is where you will travel to. For retirees, this is a great place to settle down and enjoy life because of the wonderful weather and our close proximity to fun things to do: visiting the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC or shopping in Atlanta, to camping in the mountains, or boating on our lakes, and very affordable housing. Example -
my 80 yr old mother lives in a 1br apartment with a terrace. Complex has tennis courts, swimming pool, and laundry facilities. Is located 1 block from mall and restaurants and 5 mins. to hospital and other medical facilities. In NJ, this apartment would cost her $1000/month. Mom has paid $475/month
since she arrived here in 2000. (!!!!!!) No rent increase...imagine that!

The Upstate region of SC has a very mild winter in comparison to what you are used to, and though mid-summer gets a bit humid it cannot be compared to the humidity of Atlanta or Florida. Thankfully, hurricanes are not an issue for us. Here the threat of snow/ice is major for unlike the northern states we don't have sand and snow trucks. In many areas here utilities are above ground, therefore, an ice storm can cause major headaches with downed utilites. But you know what? Ask anyone who has relocated here, and no doubt the majority will tell you they'll take the chance of an ice storm here and there in order that they may enjoy the wonderful quality of life they have found here in the Upstate region.
Thanks for all of the helpful information. I think that it is most helpful for those of us who are thinking of relocating to your area to read the opinions of others who moved there from outside the area.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,958 times
Default Low Cost Lake - Where?

We're looking closely at Greenville area. We love the idea of lakefront but in my real estate searches I haven't seen anything like your $160K, 2 acres, Anderson area. Most everything I see is $500K. (e.g. lakehouses.com) What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions you could offer us?
Thanks much,
David from western New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area