Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:20 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

I was bored so I created a Map....I still have few lines to add...

2 Central Stations , handling most of the regional Traffic...

Greenville - Spartanburg Transit ideas

Regional Rail

Main Trunk line
Walhalla
Seneca
Clemson
Liberty
Easley
West Greenville
Park Place
Wade Hampton
Greer
Duncan
Wellford
I-26 Park & Ride
Saxon
Spartanburg Central
Beaumont
Cowpers
Gaffney

Ashville Link
Ashville Central
Biltmore Village
Buena Vista
Deerwood
Skyland
Arden
Fletcher
Mountain home
Hendersonville
Tryon
Landrum
Inman
Una
Spartanburg Central
Beaumont
Cowpers
Gaffney

Columbia Link
West Greenville
Greenville Central
Mauldin
Simpsonville
Fountain Hill
Laurens
Clinton
Newberry
Irmo
Seven Oaks
Columbia Central
Rosewood
I-75 Park & Ride

Greenwood
West Greenville
Greenville Central
Mauldin
Simpsonville
Fountain Hill
Laurens
Clinton
Greenwood

High Speed Rail

Southeast Corridor - 220-260mph
Hartsfield International Airport
Atlanta Central
Lawrenceville
Athens
Anderson
Greenville Central
Spartanburg Central
Charlotte
Greensboro
Raleigh
Petersburg
Main Street - Richmond
Fredsrickburg
Alexandria
DC Union

Travel Times

Atlanta to Anderson : 45mins
Atlanta to Greenville : 55mins
Atlanta to Spartanburg : 70mins
Greenville to Spartanburg : 15mins
Greenville to Charlotte : 45mins
Atlanta to DC : 5hrs

Various Types of Rail

Light Rail

Separated ROW

100_0595 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Street running ROW

Essex Street Corridor in Jersey City,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Essex Street Corridor in Jersey City,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Hudson Bergen Light Rail - Bayonne & Jersey City - YouTube

Regional Rail

Diesel

Northbound Riverline train approaching Riverside by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

NJT Riverline @ Delanco & Riverside - YouTube

Electric - 3rd rail

Eastchester - Westchester County - New York by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Harlem line @ Scarsdale & Crestwood to Woodlawn - YouTube

Electric - Overhead

METRO-NORTH--9155 arr Stamford IB. 1 of 2 by milantram, on Flickr

M8 New Haven line Express Train : Stamford to Greenwich & Harlem 125th Street to Park Ave Tunnel - YouTube

High Speed Rail

curva y descenso by Kacam, on Flickr

[TGV] winter games open - YouTube

So what do you think? I missed a few lines , its not a finished map...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 03:59 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,177 times
Nice work! Explain to me how you are going to get people to use it, though. For my location (Tigerville), it looks like about a 15 mile drive to get on the train. Not bad, but I don't travel to those places all that much. I suppose when traffic becomes unbearable, or gas hits $10 a gallon, I might consider it. That's the problem- people want to get in their car and go where they want, when they want. The only time I ride a train is when I'm in CT, and want to visit NYC. NYC is no place to try to drive or park, so mass transit makes sense, and it has been that way for many, many years. I can drive to Spartanburg or Asheville faster than I can drive to a station, park the car, catch a local, and work my way to my destination. It would be nice to get to Atlanta quickly and easily, though. I don't think the area has the population density (or mind-set) to support such a system yet.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:05 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Wonderful dreams! It may happen, but will be a while off in the future yet. At least this area still has Amtrak service.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgargoyle View Post
Nice work! Explain to me how you are going to get people to use it, though. For my location (Tigerville), it looks like about a 15 mile drive to get on the train. Not bad, but I don't travel to those places all that much. I suppose when traffic becomes unbearable, or gas hits $10 a gallon, I might consider it. That's the problem- people want to get in their car and go where they want, when they want. The only time I ride a train is when I'm in CT, and want to visit NYC. NYC is no place to try to drive or park, so mass transit makes sense, and it has been that way for many, many years. I can drive to Spartanburg or Asheville faster than I can drive to a station, park the car, catch a local, and work my way to my destination. It would be nice to get to Atlanta quickly and easily, though. I don't think the area has the population density (or mind-set) to support such a system yet.
It will take time ,but I think there is enough Ridership for a small system in both Greenville and Spartanburg and a connecting line , then once those are successful and edged into peoples mindsets you'll see other lines to Ashville , Columbia and then the High Speed line.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:16 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
These are great ideas. One line I really like to see is the Asheville link going up Saluda Mountain. Add the inland port about to be built in Greer, and you will draw commercial benefits to reopen the line.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:02 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,373 times
I assume all of these dream lines will be financed by the government.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM

266 posts, read 300,838 times
I hate to sound rude, but I don't want the upstate to look like New Jersy!

Old 01-01-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmelfi View Post
I hate to sound rude, but I don't want the upstate to look like New Jersy!
That was pretty rude , you know New England is building a Rail Network , so is PA....whats wrong with Jersey? Suburban Jersey is very nice , Urban Jersey varies....but honestly NJ isn't all that bad and not being forced to drive everywhere is a great thing. Saves you about 6-9k a year , since your not putting that money into keeping your car running...instead it often gets put back into the local economy....

Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
I assume all of these dream lines will be financed by the government.
Private and Public , Private for Longer lines and public for the shorter lines...

Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times
Great ideas, but the problem is, how do you get around in those towns after you get off the train?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area