Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:16 PM

25 posts, read 31,219 times

Advertisements

Yahoo!

After living here 4 months and having our car totaled can't agree more. Terrible drivers here.

1. It's not drafting your tailgating
2. Talking on the phone is distracting you.
3. Left turns pull into the intersection please...
4. Left turns stop pulling in front of traffic you don't have the right away.
5. When you get on the freeway push on the skinny pedal.
6. Double yellows yeah you can't make a left turn on those.

There's more but SC you have earned your ranking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 PM

154 posts, read 244,969 times
people in every city/state always say they have the worst drivers, somebody has to be wrong so why not people in SC.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:46 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,487,592 times
I will be shocked if people who have driven in many other cities will agree that Greenville drivers are among the worst. I can personally vouch for drivers in Boston, New York, New Jersey, and Los Angeles being far worse than anything you'll see in Greenville. No comparison.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:00 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,689,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I will be shocked if people who have driven in many other cities will agree that Greenville drivers are among the worst. I can personally vouch for drivers in Boston, New York, New Jersey, and Los Angeles being far worse than anything you'll see in Greenville. No comparison.
Add everywhere I lived in FL to that list.

The only thing I notice here more than in FL is people running the red turn lane, but everything else was worse in FL.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:45 AM

9,717 posts, read 9,978,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blc78 View Post
Yahoo!

After living here 4 months and having our car totaled can't agree more. Terrible drivers here.

1. It's not drafting your tailgating
2. Talking on the phone is distracting you.
4. Left turns stop pulling in front of traffic you don't have the right away.
5. When you get on the freeway push on the skinny pedal.
6. Double yellows yeah you can't make a left turn on those.

There's more but SC you have earned your ranking
I've lived here ten years and have nary a scratch on my any of my cars from auto accidents. The first five years I drove all over the state as part of my job easily averaging 40-50k miles a year. The past few years, since I now work at one place, average 40 miles R/T to and from work. No problems.

I do see a lot of the issues you brought up though. I would like to see more law enforcement cracking down on those types of offenses to make the roads safer for all. I've certainly have driven in much worse places than SC.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:17 AM

672 posts, read 1,424,249 times
I definitely see those issues and more every day. Don't forget about rolling through or running stop signs & stop lights. (State law must be "If it's a right turn, the sign doesn't count.") Or "Brake lights? I don't need to fix them, there's still one left!" It makes me look forward to driving in the midwest, that's for sure!

Old 12-23-2013, 07:54 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,978,766 times
The problem with stats like these is, they average behaviors across an entire state. Greenville driving isn't necessarily going to be the same as Myrtle Beach, Columbia or Charleston.

Massachusetts is listed as one of the safest states but Boston drivers are abominable. I spent a few days in Greenville in October, and as far as I could see, the drivers weren't any more boneheaded than they are around here.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:59 AM

1,956 posts, read 2,785,256 times
I notice at least half the drivers I pass going the other way are looking down. I assume they are looking at their phones. I quit running on State Park Road because of the craziness out there. Yesterday, while driving in the pouring down rain, very few people had their headlights on. Don't they know that is the law now? People don't come to a complete stop at any stop sign. People blow their horn at me when I don't turn right on red when clearly the sign says it is not allowed. Bottom line, people are nuts.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 AM

826 posts, read 1,135,907 times
Quote:

While common practice. (I do it myself) That is technically not legal. You aren't supposed to enter the intersection unless you can clear it right away. That being said there are some intersections around where at certain times of day that is only way to make a left turn.

I honestly think that is why you see so many stupid maneuvers pulled around here. The vast majority of the roads around here let and some cases force people to do dumb stuff. The lack of left turn arrows at many intersections and the lack of medians being the worse. I lived in the DC area for several years (learned to drive there) and the drivers are up there are far worse. Definitely much more aggressive, far more likely get rear ended up there. But I see a lot more intersection/turning accidents around here, which I think is caused by the fact you can turn pretty much anywhere you want to around here. Force people to use the the traffic lights and roads get at least a little bit safer and traffic flow likely improves too.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:19 AM

6,904 posts, read 22,606,390 times
Quote:
Nope, sorry, ain't risking it! I had a coworker once that got a ticket for sitting in the intersection waiting for cars to pass to make a left turn onto Laurens Rd. from Forester Rd. (in Mauldin). Maybe you can afford that ticket but I can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area