Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 PM

25 posts, read 31,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Nope, sorry, ain't risking it! I had a coworker once that got a ticket for sitting in the intersection waiting for cars to pass to make a left turn onto Laurens Rd. from Forester Rd. (in Mauldin). Maybe you can afford that ticket but I can't.
when the car is a mile away please do it and go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmike View Post
While common practice. (I do it myself) That is technically not legal. You aren't supposed to enter the intersection unless you can clear it right away. That being said there are some intersections around where at certain times of day that is only way to make a left turn.

I honestly think that is why you see so many stupid maneuvers pulled around here. The vast majority of the roads around here let and some cases force people to do dumb stuff. The lack of left turn arrows at many intersections and the lack of medians being the worse. I lived in the DC area for several years (learned to drive there) and the drivers are up there are far worse. Definitely much more aggressive, far more likely get rear ended up there. But I see a lot more intersection/turning accidents around here, which I think is caused by the fact you can turn pretty much anywhere you want to around here. Force people to use the the traffic lights and roads get at least a little bit safer and traffic flow likely improves too.

I'm from southern California used to tons of traffic believe me it's way crazier here. I agree with your post it really seems like poor traffic engineering which forces people to do unsafe things out of frustration.
Reminds Woodruff RD me of Temecula CA, a bunch of houses were built but the lights and streets weren't/haven't been kept up to date with the growth

Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blc78 View Post
when the car is a mile away please do it and go.

I require corrective lenses to drive. I assure you I cannot see something that far away.

In case you have forgotten or are too new here to realize; if you rear end me, it's your insurance and your record that gets charged! Since I religiously use my turn signals you will know where I am going.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:

I require corrective lenses to drive. I assure you I cannot see something that far away.

In case you have forgotten or are too new here to realize; if you rear end me, it's your insurance and your record that gets charged! Since I religiously use my turn signals you will know where I am going.
Don't worry about me friend worry about the local driving 2 feet behind me today on Lee Vaughn as I was going the speed limit. If a deer or something jumped out BOOM goes the dynamite.

Tailgating is seriously out of control out here.

It was the local who was in my wife's lane on Jonesville as she went around a corner and fortunately she swerved into the railing before a head on collision but he was able to side swipe our van deploy all our airbags scare the life out of our 5 year old and do 19k in damage to the car.

Or the local we saw pull out in front of a motorcycle on woodruff and he supermaned over the car.

Those are just the bad ones not the all the minor ones we have seen in four months.

That said so happy we moved here, just own it peeps don't drive good here it's not a slight not an attack just the facts as the studies by insurance companies have proven

Old 01-06-2014, 07:05 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
Quote:
Don't worry about me friend worry about the local driving 2 feet behind me today on Lee Vaughn as I was going the speed limit. If a deer or something jumped out BOOM goes the dynamite.

It was the local who was in my wife's lane on Jonesville as she went around a corner and fortunately she swerved into the railing before a head on collision but he was able to side swipe our van deploy all our airbags scare the life out of our 5 year old and do 19k in damage to the car.

Or the local we saw pull out in front of a motorcycle on woodruff and he supermaned over the car.

Those are just the bad ones not the all the minor ones we have seen in four months.

That said so happy we moved here, just own it peeps don't drive good here it's not a slight not an attack just the facts as the studies by insurance companies have proven
Ah, see, I do worry about that every day but I work from home so I rarely leave Mauldin. I get those tailgaters too though even in the 40 or so miles that I do drive per week. And, as stated already, remember it's their insurance that pays unless you are unfortunate enough to get hit by someone that is uninsured. They are supposed to turn in their license plates if they don't have insurance but its pretty safe to say, that doesn't happen. I have pulled off the road to let tailgaters pass. It's a good habit to get into. Be careful out there!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:57 AM

99 posts, read 168,167 times
Quote:
This needs to be repeated! Tailgating is seriously out of control here!

I've been tailgated IN THE FAR RIGHT LANE of 385 going the speed-limit. There was no traffic, the driver can easily change lanes and go around me.

Since having a kid, I always -ALWAYS- drive the speed limit. I do this now even without them in the car and I'm tailgated daily. But to be honest, I'm starting to enjoy it. My secondary car is a P.o.S. and i'm not afraid of slamming on the brakes for a "cat in the road". I'm happy to ruin the day of a tailgater.

I've said this before and will say again. Greenville doesn't have the WORST drivers, that title belongs to Charleston.

But Greenville has some of the rudest, most inconsiderate drivers of ANY city I've ever lived in. Little or no consideration is given to other drivers, or the lives (kids) that might be in other vehicles. Most the drivers have the "MINE" mentality. My road, my car, I can go as fast as I want! Raining or foggy? I think the rule is you must drive FASTER and CLOSER.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:52 AM

65 posts, read 116,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trecnocin View Post
But Greenville has some of the rudest, most inconsiderate drivers of ANY city I've ever lived in. Little or no consideration is given to other drivers, or the lives (kids) that might be in other vehicles. Most the drivers have the "MINE" mentality. My road, my car, I can go as fast as I want! Raining or foggy? I think the rule is you must drive FASTER and CLOSER.
I agree that tailgating is dangerous, and that it's rude if someone is going the speed limit in the right lane. However, it's also quite rude when someone goes under the speed limit in the left lane. That's just as dangerous and it's also rude. It's also rude to go 5-10 mph under the speed limit on a 2-lane road. If you can't drive 45 mph in a 45 mph zone, pull over and let drivers safely pass you.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:04 PM

467 posts, read 542,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trecnocin View Post
This needs to be repeated! Tailgating is seriously out of control here!

I've been tailgated IN THE FAR RIGHT LANE of 385 going the speed-limit. There was no traffic, the driver can easily change lanes and go around me.

Since having a kid, I always -ALWAYS- drive the speed limit. I do this now even without them in the car and I'm tailgated daily. But to be honest, I'm starting to enjoy it. My secondary car is a P.o.S. and i'm not afraid of slamming on the brakes for a "cat in the road". I'm happy to ruin the day of a tailgater.

I've said this before and will say again. Greenville doesn't have the WORST drivers, that title belongs to Charleston.

South Carolina's motto is Love It Or Leave It. Move to a state with "considerate" drivers. I have a feeling you are the bad driver though and the other peopel complaining on here. Road rage types.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 PM

684 posts, read 1,186,866 times
I like coasting to the light at intersections and off-ramps - timing it so I don't have to hit the brake before the light turns green. Needless to say, I get tailgated pretty hard every time and love it. LOVE IT!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:30 AM

792 posts, read 497,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmike View Post
While common practice. (I do it myself) That is technically not legal. You aren't supposed to enter the intersection unless you can clear it right away. That being said there are some intersections around where at certain times of day that is only way to make a left turn.
Quote:
Nope, sorry, ain't risking it! I had a coworker once that got a ticket for sitting in the intersection waiting for cars to pass to make a left turn onto Laurens Rd. from Forester Rd. (in Mauldin). Maybe you can afford that ticket but I can't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
What's slower in the left lane?

I drives 70 in the left lane (55) and too lazy to change lanes for folks going 80+. Yea. That lazy cruise control.
Please never drive in South Carolina
Spoiler
Or anywhere else
again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area