Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:21 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
No! No more stars and bars. Nothing needs to be raised. No stars and bars, no rainbows, no maple leafs, no nothing. Theres only 2 flags that should be flying above the head of every South Carolinian: American, and Palmetto Blue. Thats it. Thats what represents all 100% of us.

Fly whatever you want on your own property, but not over our heads. Are you ignorant as to why SC succeeded? That flag is no better. Only 2 flags. Anything else, take to your house and worship it.
So, you're advocating removing the MIA-POW flag. There's also a marine corps flag at the Iwo Jima memorial.. that needs to go.

Does this surprise you?

That's Arlington National Cemetery. The Confederate section..

Old 06-24-2015, 09:34 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
So, you're advocating removing the MIA-POW flag. There's also a marine corps flag at the Iwo Jima memorial.. that needs to go.

Does this surprise you?

That's Arlington National Cemetery. The Confederate section..

Please stop. I DONT CARE whats going on in Arlington or Iwo Jima or Chicago or Canada or Mars. This is South Carolina, and I already made my point loud and clear.

EVERY South Carolinian, all 4.9 million of us, all 100%, are 2 things: American and South Carolinian. Theres 2 flags that need to fly over every single one of our heads: American and Palmetto Blue. It represents ALL-OF-US.

The red rag DOES NOT. Not everyone identfiies with, likes it, or even thinks its "heritage", so it needs to come down. A flag that doesnt represent everyone doesnt need to be flying over everyones head.

The end.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:02 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
I am white and the rebel flag reminds me of those white trash killers in "A Time to Kill". If you want to fly that redneck racist flag from your trailer or truck, go right ahead, but it needs to be taken down from government-related places and items.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:16 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Anyone who thinks the civil war was over slavery should THINK AGAIN. The real reason was over taxes and control. There were plenty of white Irish slaves in the north who were actually cheaper to buy than the blacks who were slaves in the south and not all blacks were slaves. In fact some blacks owned slaves themselves. So why would the north fight the south over slavery when they owned them too? The answer is: they didn't. Here is the REAL REASON for the civil war no matter what propaganda they may be teaching in schools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LU9I0KxWi4

Don't mind that the producer of this video can't spell to save his life. At least he knows his history.

Here's another more accurate accounting of what went on.https://mises.org/library/25-paul-kr...-war-delusions

Old 06-24-2015, 10:48 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,843,672 times
'The Civil War wasn't about slavery because there were poor Irish workers in the North.'

Not convincing.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:54 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Default What color is your sky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Anyone who thinks the civil war was over slavery should THINK AGAIN. The real reason was over taxes and control. There were plenty of white Irish slaves in the north who were actually cheaper to buy than the blacks who were slaves in the south and not all blacks were slaves. In fact some blacks owned slaves themselves. So why would the north fight the south over slavery when they owned them too? The answer is: they didn't. Here is the REAL REASON for the civil war no matter what propaganda they may be teaching in schools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LU9I0KxWi4

Don't mind that the producer of this video can't spell to save his life. At least he knows his history.

Here's another more accurate accounting of what went on.https://mises.org/library/25-paul-kr...-war-delusions
I actually started watching the beginning of this nonsense. It starts off saying the southern states left the Union because of a tax Lincoln imposed, the Morrill tariff.

However, the southern states seceded BEFORE Lincoln was even inaugurated, and BEFORE the tariff became a law. The tariff wasn't even imposed in the South, because, well, they seceded.

So....

What was the REAL REASON for the Civil War again?

Not only can't this guy spell, apparently he can't read?

And all that other crap you posted about white slaves and blacks owning slaves... irrelevant nonsense.

The Civil War was so obviously about slavery that it takes all kind of logical jujitsu, cherry-picking and exaggeration of slightly relevant tidbits of partial reality, along with a huge dose of willful ignorance to think otherwise. A little racism doesn't hurt either.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:05 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I actually started watching the beginning of this nonsense. It starts off saying the southern states left the Union because of a tax Lincoln imposed, the Morrill tariff.

However, the southern states seceded BEFORE Lincoln was even inaugurated, and BEFORE the tariff became a law. The tariff wasn't even imposed in the South, because, well, they seceded.

So....

What was the REAL REASON for the Civil War again?

Not only can't this guy spell, apparently he can't read?

And all that other crap you posted about white slaves and blacks owning slaves... irrelevant nonsense.

The Civil War was so obviously about slavery that it takes all kind of logical jujitsu, cherry-picking and exaggeration of slightly relevant tidbits of partial reality, along with a huge dose of willful ignorance to think otherwise. A little racism doesn't hurt either.
Just to add a little more.... The seven southern states seceded after the Republicans won the election for the White House. Lincoln's first inaugural address was mostly aimed at the Confederate States of America to try to convince them to rejoin the union.

Lincoln said:
Quote:
I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:27 AM

292 posts, read 344,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Just to add a little more.... The seven southern states seceded after the Republicans won the election for the White House. Lincoln's first inaugural address was mostly aimed at the Confederate States of America to try to convince them to rejoin the union.

Lincoln said:
What? He must have went on to say that the south must first give up slavery before it can rejoin the union right? Because the narrative that the left/ignorant keep pushing on us is that the north fought the south to end slavery. So if that is true, no way would the north accept the south's rejoining without giving up slavery...right?

Old 06-24-2015, 11:33 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,216,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

This is actually true. As one general said: History will now be written by the winners. History is always revised, and none of us were living at the time. The war did not start because of slavery, but slavery became the textbook story in current culture, just like Plymouth Rock, the true history of Columbus and most everything else is distorted into a mostly false, yet neatly wrapped package that is easy for the average student to digest. In reality, the war was over financial issues, and the North knew that by releasing the South's most valuable resource, it's labor force, they would be economically devastated - taking us back to the whole purpose of the war = economics and trade.

All I do know, is that when I drive past a cemetery and see the flag on 100's of graves, I know that race issues had absolutely 100% nothing to do with why those family members placed that flag on their ancestor's grave marker.

If someone really wants to be outraged, they should focus on the continent of Africa where slavery is running rampant to this day, but no one seems to care.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
All 4,000 of these flag threads are just going in circles. For all you flag supporters, just please...please answer me this. My philosphy is (as Ive stated over and over): there is TWO things every person who lives in this state is: American and South Carolinian. There is 2 flags that fly over our dome: American and Palmetto Blue.

Those are the only two flags that should be flying over the head of every South Carolinian, because they represent all 100% of us. All 4.9m. All corners of the state.

The rebel flag does not represent all of us. So why...please tell me why, does it need to be flown over all of our heads? California has a growing Mexican population, but the Mexican flag does not fly over California: the American and Californian flag with the bear does.

Florida has a huge Cuban population, but the Cuban flag does not fly over Florida. San Francisco has the largest gay population in the country, but the rainbow flag does not fly over city hall. Why? Because Mexicans, Cubans, and gays do not represent all of those places. The confederacy does not represent all of us SC-linians. It may be "your" heritage and represent "you", but it does not represent "us."

So please tell me, why does it need to be over all of us on government property? No one said you cant hang it yourself so why is this a problem? Doesnt matter what it stands or stood for, fact of the matter is most of us dont identify with it, so why cant you honor your ancestors on you own? If you like out in Pickens County, why does the flag need to be up in Columbia? God knows youre not taking a mecca-esque pilgrimage every year to Columbia to see it and bow in front of it. Someone tell me why we cant get it off government grounds and over ALL our heads, and in a museum instead?

It will always be legal in or on your HOME, TRUCK, SHIRT, SKIN, but when majority want it off STATE GROUNDS, why the fuss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area