Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:50 PM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
It will always be legal in or on your HOME, TRUCK, SHIRT, SKIN, but when majority want it off STATE GROUNDS, why the fuss?
Actually it's going to be much harder to find these flags. Major retailers have stopped selling anything associated with the "stars and bars". The 3 major flag makers said they will cease making the flags forever. Even the "General Lee" is being stripped of the flag.

Alabama's Governor just ordered the flag removed as well as the cadets at the Citadel.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:58 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Actually it's going to be much harder to find these flags. Major retailers have stopped selling anything associated with the "stars and bars". The 3 major flag makers said they will cease making the flags forever. Even the "General Lee" is being stripped of the flag.

Alabama's Governor just ordered the flag removed as well as the cadets at the Citadel.
Im aware, but thats not the problem, and not the question I was asking.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Im aware, but thats not the problem, and not the question I was asking.
I would say the answer is in one of those 4,000 threads you mentioned.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I would say the answer is in one of those 4,000 threads you mentioned.
I specifially asked people in here for an honest answer. If you cant provide one then go on.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I specifially asked people in here for an honest answer. If you cant provide one then go on.
You are in nearly every one of those threads, the answers are there if you look.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:31 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Please stop. I DONT CARE whats going on in Arlington or Iwo Jima or Chicago or Canada or Mars. This is South Carolina, and I already made my point loud and clear.

EVERY South Carolinian, all 4.9 million of us, all 100%, are 2 things: American and South Carolinian. Theres 2 flags that need to fly over every single one of our heads: American and Palmetto Blue. It represents ALL-OF-US.

The red rag DOES NOT. Not everyone identfiies with, likes it, or even thinks its "heritage", so it needs to come down. A flag that doesnt represent everyone doesnt need to be flying over everyones head.

The end.
Quote:
All 4,000 of these flag threads are just going in circles. For all you flag supporters, just please...please answer me this. My philosphy is (as Ive stated over and over): there is TWO things every person who lives in this state is: American and South Carolinian. There is 2 flags that fly over our dome: American and Palmetto Blue.

Those are the only two flags that should be flying over the head of every South Carolinian, because they represent all 100% of us. All 4.9m. All corners of the state.

The rebel flag does not represent all of us. So why...please tell me why, does it need to be flown over all of our heads? California has a growing Mexican population, but the Mexican flag does not fly over California: the American and Californian flag with the bear does.

Florida has a huge Cuban population, but the Cuban flag does not fly over Florida. San Francisco has the largest gay population in the country, but the rainbow flag does not fly over city hall. Why? Because Mexicans, Cubans, and gays do not represent all of those places. The confederacy does not represent all of us SC-linians. It may be "your" heritage and represent "you", but it does not represent "us."

So please tell me, why does it need to be over all of us on government property? No one said you cant hang it yourself so why is this a problem? Doesnt matter what it stands or stood for, fact of the matter is most of us dont identify with it, so why cant you honor your ancestors on you own? If you like out in Pickens County, why does the flag need to be up in Columbia? God knows youre not taking a mecca-esque pilgrimage every year to Columbia to see it and bow in front of it. Someone tell me why we cant get it off government grounds and over ALL our heads, and in a museum instead?

It will always be legal in or on your HOME, TRUCK, SHIRT, SKIN, but when majority want it off STATE GROUNDS, why the fuss?
Yeah, you've made it clear you don't care.. You're like one of the monster-shouter preachers on the street corner. Facts be damned. Loudest voice wins.

The flag has not flown over your head since 2000 when it was removed from the capitol dome. The flag is at a memorial to confederate soldiers. So, I'm perfectly fine also with the land that it sits on being ceded to the Sons/Daughters of the Confederacy. Then it's not on statehouse grounds at all. Problem solved.

This is akin to US Soldiers buried in Normandy.. And the French protesting that the American flag flies at that cemetery. These are CSA soldiers buried on our soil. Just because they were the opposing side does not mean that they shouldn't be respected or honored..

Old 06-24-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah, you've made it clear you don't care.. You're like one of the monster-shouter preachers on the street corner. Facts be damned. Loudest voice wins.

The flag has not flown over your head since 2000 when it was removed from the capitol dome. The flag is at a memorial to confederate soldiers. So, I'm perfectly fine also with the land that it sits on being ceded to the Sons/Daughters of the Confederacy. Then it's not on statehouse grounds at all. Problem solved.

This is akin to US Soldiers buried in Normandy.. And the French protesting that the American flag flies at that cemetery. These are CSA soldiers buried on our soil. Just because they were the opposing side does not mean that they shouldn't be respected or honored..
Thanks for your honest answer. Even though I disagree and asked your opinion on the flag and not myself, which you made moronic accusations about.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
You are in nearly every one of those threads, the answers are there if you look.

Again, since I live in GSP right now, I wanted to ask GSP. If you dont have an answer then move along, its not hard. I dont care whats in the other threads, Im in GSP and wanted an answer from GSP.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:58 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
This is actually true. As one general said: History will now be written by the winners. History is always revised, and none of us were living at the time. The war did not start because of slavery, but slavery became the textbook story in current culture, just like Plymouth Rock, the true history of Columbus and most everything else is distorted into a mostly false, yet neatly wrapped package that is easy for the average student to digest. In reality, the war was over financial issues, and the North knew that by releasing the South's most valuable resource, it's labor force, they would be economically devastated - taking us back to the whole purpose of the war = economics and trade.

All I do know, is that when I drive past a cemetery and see the flag on 100's of graves, I know that race issues had absolutely 100% nothing to do with why those family members placed that flag on their ancestor's grave marker.

If someone really wants to be outraged, they should focus on the continent of Africa where slavery is running rampant to this day, but no one seems to care.
I have always wondered if there is even one black person who realizes he should thank his lucky stars that his ancestors were brought here as a slaves and realizes as that person in his family's history how much better he is being treated now to how it would be if slaves had never been brought to the colonies.

Not to mention that at the end of the war anyone who wanted to was given the opportunity of free passage back to where they came from.

My husband who is a democrat says that the most racist symbol in America today is Al Sharpton.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:37 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have always wondered if there is even one black person who realizes he should thank his lucky stars that his ancestors were brought here as a slaves and realizes as that person in his family's history how much better he is being treated now to how it would be if slaves had never been brought to the colonies.
This statement is offensive and so EXTREMELY ignorant of the circumstances which led to and perpetuated the trans-Atlantic slave trade in the first place.

This is just so dumb, dumb, dumb...

Quote:
My husband who is a democrat says that the most racist symbol in America today is Al Sharpton.
And he'd be wrong, but so many people feel a need to point to Black people and say "See, they do it too!" to assuage a very misplaced sense of guilt, but I'm not even going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area