Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 03:50 PM

167 posts, read 167,952 times

Advertisements

here's some food for thought...I am no historian and if my facts are eskew, please correct them.....but, if I'm not mistaken, a version of our current American Flag was flying when we massacred the indians. Talk about a bad deal and a part of my "heritage" that sickens me when I think about it. Why should it be OK to fly that flag???

Old 06-24-2015, 04:09 PM

503 posts, read 530,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
here's some food for thought...I am no historian and if my facts are eskew, please correct them.....but, if I'm not mistaken, a version of our current American Flag was flying when we massacred the indians. Talk about a bad deal and a part of my "heritage" that sickens me when I think about it. Why should it be OK to fly that flag???
Because the nation that flag represents still exists, and we live in it?

Old 06-24-2015, 04:12 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Even though that's a fair point, one major difference is that the U.S. wasn't explicitly founded on the basis of the exploitation, oppression, and mistreatment of native peoples.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:26 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Again, since I live in GSP right now, I wanted to ask GSP. If you dont have an answer then move along, its not hard. I dont care whats in the other threads, Im in GSP and wanted an answer from GSP.
You are not the thread monitor so don't tell me to move along. If you can't use logic and reasoning from thousands of posts on this, then it is not our problem or GSP problem.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:16 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
You are not the thread monitor so don't tell me to move along. If you can't use logic and reasoning from thousands of posts on this, then it is not our problem or GSP problem.
Blah blah move along. I aksed a question. If you personally cant/dont want to answer it, then dont respond. Simple.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 06-24-2015 at 05:38 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 05:40 PM

167 posts, read 167,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
Because the nation that flag represents still exists, and we live in it?
so what if it still exists? it still exists because we stole it and killed the original owners. The Indians got a waaaaaay worse deal than the blacks ever did.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:59 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Quote:
The vast majority of Native Americans were killed by disease, mainly smallpox. I think 90-95% of the Indians were taken out by disease, and the most of that happened before we even became a nation (so, before we had a flag).

Don't get me wrong, the U.S. treated the few remaining Indians like animals, and killed them in war and took their lands. But they were nearly entirely wiped out by disease well before that.

And we did win those wars with the Indians, and that one against the South.

Generally, the winners of wars gets to fly their flag, the losers do not.

The American flag does not, however, fly over tribal lands (mainly former reservations) unless the Indians choose to fly it. Those lands are actually considered sovereign nations.

The Southern states that seceded are not (and never were) sovereign nations.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:56 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
There was a post on Facebook that suggested that the American flag was the next flag to be attacked. Turned on the Five and they showed Rush Limbaugh saying the same thing. I normally will not listen to Rush for more than a few sentences.

I could get really personal about that too because I have Cherokee ancestry. I am very proud of my Cherokee ancestry but at some point one has to realize why things went as they did. The Indians were not as advanced as the white people who moved to the Americas. We would not have had black slaves if their own countrymen had not sold them to the Northern ship owners in the first place. These facts offend some but the truth needs to be realized or nothing will be solved.

It is wrong for the blacks or Indians to blame the people in this country because our other ancestors overcame and overpowered the less advanced. Christian nations will always overcome the unChristian ones. There is a God and He blesses those who worship Him. Other cultures may win over Christians for a short time but Christians will overcome in the end.

I saw something on the news today that troubled me. A black church in Charlotte was set on fire recently. They had the pastor on speaking about how he forgives the ones who did it and it is believed to be arson. I thought I sensed fear in his voice. That would be so sad if black people were fearful because of a couple of nuts jobs.

While I think they are unbalanced with their demands about the flag and the war on police, I would never want any black person to fear for their lives. There are wrongs done on both sides but it also bothers me that white people have to continually appease the blacks. When will it ever be enough? I think whites have already given in more than enough. I would like to see the black community say, "Put those flags back. We know they represent your dead soldiers and we don't want to hurt you that way."

They can forgive a burned church and 9 loved ones killed but they cannot accept a flag that represents a time in our history? Since the rest of you say that flag represents the battles fought to free them; could it not be a symbol of their freedom? At the end of the war we were broke and they were free. As one person said, when you see those flags all over the confederate graveyards, racism has nothing to do with it. We love our ancestors just as much as they love anyone they care for. But our ancestors were not any more evil than the union soldiers were. It is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG to demonize the confederate flag.

I don't remember but one confederate flag. It was on the grave of my husband's great grandfather. Never had a wish to go around displaying a confederate flag. But I very much resent what is going on with the demands to do away with Southern heritage. It is unnecessary and selfish and I think there will be a day when those leading this hateful movement will wish they hadn't done it. They will come to realize how wrong they are. We will get over it but it will not profit them. I think this is revenge and revenge never profits the one doing it.

Last edited by NCN; 06-24-2015 at 11:01 PM..

Old 06-24-2015, 10:08 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTrombone View Post
If facts offend you, then you should get your SJW towel out and ready to dry some tears. I was in Kenya in the early 90's. The people there still live in mud huts and have open sewers. If you're telling me that living in section 8 housing, buying ice cream with an EBT card, and watching whitey shake in his boots because of the slightest perceived slight is a step down from the motherland, I suggest you catch the next flight to Mombasa and stay awhile. Not in the resort hotels on the beach where the employees won't earn in a month what it costs to stay one night. Go about 5 miles West into town and settle in. Then you can tell me if they don't have it better here.
First of all, slaves in the Americas came from west Africa; Kenya is in east Africa. I know you probably just see Africa as one big monolithic continent since all Black people look alike to you, but yeah, that's a major difference.

Secondly, I can see you're in the same boat as NCN--completely ignorant of the historical factors behind both the trans-Atlantic slave trade and the current state of many parts of Africa. I guess you think Kenya and other countries got to where they are on their own, huh?

Thirdly, the implication that all Blacks in America live in section 8 housing, have EBT cards, and watch "whitey shake in his boots" is about the most asinine, ignorant thing I've seen on this forum. The face of poverty in America is largely White, but don't let facts get in the way.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:08 PM

684 posts, read 1,186,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Other cultures may win over Christians
As much as I believe eventually there will only be one race in humanity many centuries from now, I am sure eventually religions as they exist today will fall into the same category as the Easter Bunny and Pyramid Schemes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area