Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 04:59 AM

167 posts, read 168,055 times

Advertisements

All the confederate flag means to ME is I'm proud to be Southern. I think it is a beautiful flag and I use it as a backdrop for my homebrew logo. I do not think about slavery, hatred or really anything about anyone except being southern. Then again, I'm not black. I have not/would not display just a flag in public. Even though I have no harmful intent, I do not want anyone thinking I do. Unfortunately, too many people do use it as a representation of hate and those people are despicable. If you hate someone because the color of their skin, you are an idiot. Period. We are ALL part of the HUMAN RACE. Embrace the similarities, don't hate the differences.

Anyway, it kinda angered me the last time we talked about flag removal but as I have come to realize that some people don't see it the same way I do, I now say take it down. My biggest concern with this is that I fear that EVERY redneck in the south will display their own flag and there will be more flags displayed across the south than anyone even thought possible. That will then bring a movement to make flag display illegal and there goes my logo....

I also feel that making our government take the flag down is like making a child apologize for something...it doesn't really mean anything. But hey, if people think taking the flag down will make them happy, take it down.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:37 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,796,574 times
Whether you realize it or not, using the confederate flag (even on your beer label) is like giving the middle finger to any black person that sees it.

It's THE symbol of the Confederacy, a union formed with one purpose: to retain the right to own black people as slaves.

Period.

End of story.

Sorry, but your beer label is offensive. The confederate flag is offensive. Ignorance is no excuse. And out of common Southern courtesy, it should not be flown or used in any way, except to remember a mistake not to be repeated. The Civil War ended so long ago, and that sad chapter should not be something Southerners should be "proud" of.

Plus, with Wal-mart refusing to sell it anymore, not sure where all these folks will get their flags and other flag-related crap/merchandise?

Old 06-23-2015, 05:41 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,887,642 times
I for one am so tired of hearing about it, just take the thing down and be done with it!

Old 06-23-2015, 06:21 AM

24 posts, read 52,843 times
Of course, good to note that the confederate flag is not the state flag. As a black person, I say take it down / don't take it down -- honestly I don't think it matters to the real issues. I drive by it all the time and it hasn't affected my experience here. I do tend to make mental notes and judgements about individuals displaying the flag, but as long as it's not causing me or others personal harm, have at it.

My problem with this whole flag drive currently is that it is just a symbolic response to a tragic event. That flag did not cause that man to shoot those people and taking it down won't prevent other occurrences. The root cause of the racial and social problems in this country won't be addressed by flag removal. If the flag is taken down, everyone will celebrate a victory, yet still the wound will keep festering. This type of violence and racism and classism and all the other -isms is a symptom of deeper issues. The pressure we are under in this country just trying to survive is what makes people so desperate and causes them to think that others different from them are taking things away from them. Our representatives could change this by bringing back industry and production to our country, but they choose not to and, rather, encourage us to continue to divide and fight amongst ourselves. Symbolically, yes, I suppose taking the flag down will make some feel better (it won't make me feel differently one way or the other). But I am more in favor of all of this energy being spent on more practical solutions that actually get at the source of the problem.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:44 AM

684 posts, read 1,187,311 times
I predict it will be Vandalized at night by a drone.

Progress

Robot equality!

Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
I for one am so tired of hearing about it, just take the thing down and be done with it!
This.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:01 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times
My opinion is that we have enough threads on this:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/south...eeds-come.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/south...nfederate.html

Or even here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ming-down.html

Old 06-23-2015, 07:03 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,667,364 times
Art pretty much summed up my view.

It's the battle flag of the CSA. Read the CSA constitution, and you'll realize exactly what this flag stands for, and has always stood for.

Personally, it's not a heritage that I'd be proud of, or display.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:50 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,329,214 times
It's not a state flag. If you want to put it in your yard or on your truck, more power to you.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:26 AM

690 posts, read 1,147,128 times
Because the media loves to focus on this vs the real problem (mental health, broken families, etc) then let's remove it. I love flags of all kinds. I love the look and history behind them but I'm not going to fly them and cause a stumbling block for those that can't see beyond it.

Time to put it in a museum and talk about it from a history perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area