Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 08:56 PM

284 posts, read 269,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
If you want to live closer to the beach but stay in Greenville, I'd recommend Simpsonville or Ft Inn. Simpsonville has everything you need to stay there but you are not too far from downtown Greenville either. There are plenty subdivisions there with a pool also. The other towns around to check out are Mauldin, Taylors, Greer, Easley or Travelers Rest. Depending on where you would be working for BOA, that will come into play. Most of those areas have good schools as well. You just have to research the specific schools once you pick an area. I will tell you this, your taxes will be nothing compared to what you are paying. The weather is going to be somewhat more tolerable in Greenville as opposed to Florence if that is of concern.

Good luck!
Is Simpsonville around a body of water then? It seems to have very good schools. Is crime low around there? Taxes are actuslly a joke to me when looking. .. I have laughed. . $600 a year, is that a joke? My boss pays over 800 a month in taxes. I only plan on transferring down with BOA. it will allow me to go down with a job before getting a new one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 09:14 PM

Between Simpsonville and Summerville, which would you all recommend? I feel like I've heard much more about Simpsonville, maybe due to its proximity to Greenville, but I'm curious about Summerville as well

Old 06-13-2016, 11:10 PM

723 posts, read 1,150,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenleex View Post
Between Simpsonville and Summerville, which would you all recommend? I feel like I've heard much more about Simpsonville, maybe due to its proximity to Greenville, but I'm curious about Summerville as well
It's pretty hard to compare those two very different places. Summerville is way down at the other end of the state, in the Low Country, so it's a totally different environment. For one thing, it's much hotter and more humid in Summerville during the summer months. Low County planters used to come to the Upstate in the summers to avoid the heat, the humidity and even the malaria (at least back in the day). I prefer the Upstate, but many prefer the coast. It all depends on what you want.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:16 AM

605 posts, read 584,834 times
There aren't really any large communities right on the water in the upstate. Clemson is probably the largest. This is partially because the three big lakes haven't been there all that long, historically speaking. They are roughly an hour from the Greenville area. There are a few smaller lakes closer to Greenville. I believe that pretty much all of the sizeable lakes in SC are man-made.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:10 AM

300 posts, read 255,069 times
Summerville is a great place to live. Even though I live in the upstate I would live in Summerville vs. Simpsonville. Check Urban Planet Charleston to find out about Summerville.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:24 AM

58 posts, read 165,469 times
Kristen, there are plenty of lakes in surrounding areas within close distance to Simpsonville. Also some communities in Simpsonville have large fishing ponds as well as walking trails, pools, playgrounds.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:02 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
There are plenty of lakes around. One close one that comes to mind is Lake Conestee. You also have Lake Hartwell, Lake Keowee, Lake Jocasee, Lake Robinson, etc. These are all a short distance. There area also plenty of smaller lakes.

As for Summerville, I think it's a nice place to raise a family. It is about 30 minutes from the ocean which makes it appealing. We actually considered it before moving here. I like to be close to the ocean. When we were looking for a rental there, we had no luck. We had to move pretty quickly with our house being sold. Although Summerville had all the shopping we needed, it seemed kind of vanilla as far as events go. It didn't seem to have much going on. Downtown Charleston wasn't far though and there was enough going on there along with the beach. It definitely is hotter and humid than Greenville.

You can't really compare the two because they are two different places. It is less expensive to live in Greenville. I am also talking about going out. (dining, entertainment, etc) Greenville has alot of free events and most are family friendly. I like Charleston alot but unfortunately it is too expensive for us.

I know that you mentioned you work at BOA. I don't know if you have considered Charlotte (The bank capital) or Fort Mill, SC. Just a couple more to add to your list. Some people prefer that area with a bigger city. Greenville is smaller but it has quite a bit to offer. The downtown is very appealing.

It all boils down to what you like

Old 06-14-2016, 09:20 AM

While I do know about Charlotte, I definitely know I don't want to live there. I wasnt sold when looking in the n. carolina, because I considered nc first. I was drawn to greensboro tho, not Charlotte. BUT really the reason I was looking in nc was because we thought my husband would be able to transfer jobs. .. he can't. So basically our doors have opened wide to other options.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:21 AM

I really like that you day Greenville has alot of free family friendly events. .. things like that really appeal to me

Old 06-14-2016, 05:04 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenleex View Post
I really like that you day Greenville has alot of free family friendly events. .. things like that really appeal to me
That is definitely something that appealed to us before moving here. Greer has events all the the time for the kids that are free as well. They have free bounce houses, live music, arts and crafts, fire truck, movies, dressed up characters, etc. I know Simpsonville does similar events at Heritage Park as well.

For the adults, downtown Greenville, has free live music, festivals, movies, Shakespeare and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area