Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 06:14 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,873,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
There are plenty of lakes around. One close one that comes to mind is Lake Conestee. You also have Lake Hartwell, Lake Keowee, Lake Jocasee, Lake Robinson, etc. These are all a short distance. There area also plenty of smaller lakes.

Forgot Lake Greenwood. There is also Bowen, I personally don't consider Conastee, Bowen or Robinson a lake, more like a large reservoir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 06:30 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,240 times
I pay a little over $1000 for home taxes in the county. We have to pay for trash pickup about another 400 a year. Crime is pretty low where I live but I have seen Spartanburg can have areas that have higher crime rates so be careful. Our roads here are in pretty bad shape partially due to low taxes.

Hope you find a nice place to live where ever you end up. $5000 a year in home taxes, that's a lot.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:27 PM

284 posts, read 269,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
I pay a little over $1000 for home taxes in the county. We have to pay for trash pickup about another 400 a year. Crime is pretty low where I live but I have seen Spartanburg can have areas that have higher crime rates so be careful. Our roads here are in pretty bad shape partially due to low taxes.

Hope you find a nice place to live where ever you end up. $5000 a year in home taxes, that's a lot.
Thank you

1000 ish is what I've seen in Greenville and Spartanburg counties. My garbage is included in my HOA now. HOA costs me 150 a month so it would actually be cheaper to pay for my own garbage.

5k is actually not much. Neighboring county literally starting 15 min up the mountain. .. double the taxes. .. yes, 10k a year average. That's for our highly rated schools. .. no actually I lied, that's not even for the BEST schools in the county

When people say roads are bad, how is that so? Our roads are bad due to snow, plowing, salt, etc.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:27 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,626,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenleex View Post

When people say roads are bad, how is that so? Our roads are bad due to snow, plowing, salt, etc.
SC Roads have gotten a bad rap due to poor maintenance procedures/funding/etc...most areas have potholes throughout. Including the main interstate through this area (Upstate) i85. But very recently SCDOT has adopted a new plan that actually maintain roadways instead of waiting until they have fallen apart so roads are starting to improve but we all know how long that takes...

I85 is getting a lot of work done and more to come (found on some other threads here). But currently i85/385 interchange just started getting re-built and widened so that should help with the current rush hour bottle necks between Spartanburg and Greenville along i85, and full depth repaving currently underway on i85 throughout most of Spartanburg County.

Yes, I too pay around $1k property taxes / year. MUCH less then when I lived in VA. My HOA is about $12/month (yes twelve dollars). Garbage runs me around $18/mo. Car taxes a few hundred a yr each. Internet, unless you're more rural then you can usually find up to 60mb/s+/-. My electric runs $75-300/mo. I don't have gas, but several areas around here do. You can see why many people from up north move down here, cost of living is way less.

We rented for a year before buying to know the area better. Settled for Duncan in the end because its right between Greenville and Spartanburg and easy access to I85.

The Upstate region is growing rapidly and attracting diverse industries. But has mainly been a manufacturing area that even includes BMW factory in Greer, new carbon fiber plant going up in Moore, etc (even old textile Mills back in the day...some which still have old smoke stacks standing today) so that manufacturing aspect has kept prices low over the years.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 AM

I know this might be very subjective and everyone has varying opinions, but I'd love to hear about the good/great school districts in both Greenville and Spartanburg counties.. It might help my search a little. Since I've heard a lot of great things about the suburbs of Greenville, along with it's downtown, we are planning on visiting Greenville area first, in November.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:10 PM

26 posts, read 24,774 times
Greenville County has one centralized school district versus seven school districts in Spartanburg County (there are advantages and disadvantages in both approaches. The subject of one school district versus many has been debated ad nauseam for years!).

I can't speak for Greenville schools (from what I hear they're excellent) but, in Spartanburg County, districts 1 (Landrum), 2 (Boiling Springs), 5 (Duncan / Lyman),6 (Spartanburg-west),and 7 (Spartanburg-East) are highly regarded in terms of scholastic achievement. All have either new or relatively new facilities. Voters in district 7 recently approved a new high school to replace the circa 1959 Spartanburg High School. Districts 3 and 4 aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination but serve [mostly] rural areas.

I encourage you to spend some time in downtown Spartanburg. Morgan Square is lovely and the pace of development in the downtown area is accelerating.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
SC Roads have gotten a bad rap due to poor maintenance procedures/funding/etc...most areas have potholes throughout. Including the main interstate through this area (Upstate) i85. But very recently SCDOT has adopted a new plan that actually maintain roadways instead of waiting until they have fallen apart so roads are starting to improve but we all know how long that takes...

I85 is getting a lot of work done and more to come (found on some other threads here). But currently i85/385 interchange just started getting re-built and widened so that should help with the current rush hour bottle necks between Spartanburg and Greenville along i85, and full depth repaving currently underway on i85 throughout most of Spartanburg County.

Yes, I too pay around $1k property taxes / year. MUCH less then when I lived in VA. My HOA is about $12/month (yes twelve dollars). Garbage runs me around $18/mo. Car taxes a few hundred a yr each. Internet, unless you're more rural then you can usually find up to 60mb/s+/-. My electric runs $75-300/mo. I don't have gas, but several areas around here do. You can see why many people from up north move down here, cost of living is way less.

We rented for a year before buying to know the area better. Settled for Duncan in the end because its right between Greenville and Spartanburg and easy access to I85.

The Upstate region is growing rapidly and attracting diverse industries. But has mainly been a manufacturing area that even includes BMW factory in Greer, new carbon fiber plant going up in Moore, etc (even old textile Mills back in the day...some which still have old smoke stacks standing today) so that manufacturing aspect has kept prices low over the years.
Since you wound up in Duncan, can you give me a little more info on the town? I've broadened my search to included there and Moore as well. I mean, most of the towns in Spartanburg are on my list, depending on how far it is to downtown.

I read on here that district 5's property taxes are somewhat offset by bmw, is that true? Or is it just because it's farther outside of the city that the taxes are cheaper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area