Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:30 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherinsc26 View Post
Yeah a few of them were near water. As too what river it is my guess it most likey is the Saulda. But im not sure someone on here can tell you that one for sure. It was very nice in each places but I for sure liked the River one a lot more.
Yes, the river is the Saluda River, which is the border between Greenville and Anderson Counties. The River Reserve is actually on the Anderson County side of the river, while Acadia is on the Greenville County side. Also you may have noticed that a few of the homes in the River Reserve are on a small lake. It is Woodson Lake, and on the other side is Woodson Lake Estates, where I have relatives residing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 PM

354 posts, read 1,078,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
well thank ya! do you know about how far from greenville?
I was told it was about 10 to 15 minutes to Greenville from Acadia. Apparently though, it's not out in the middle of nowhere. There is grocery and other retail within 5 minutes.
Check out Acadia for more details on the development.

I'm a TRUE Acadian (my ancestory) so it's kinda neat for me........
I don't know if you have ever heard of Acadians but if you haven't we are a people from France who settled on the East Coast of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Canada in the 1700's. There was a war with the Loyalists from England and we were expelled. Many Acadians returned to Canada many years later but many others found their way to Maine, Mass, etc.......and MANY more went to the southern states. A lot of them settled in Louisana. They mixed well with the African Americans because both were minorities. They couldn't speak English well......and when were asked who they were by the Southerners, they kept saying "A cadjian" (trying to say Acadian with a heavy french accent)........They thought they were saying "A Cajun".......hense......the Canjuns were born, so the story goes. Interesting Canadian history lesson for you.....LOL

Old 04-15-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Yes, the river is the Saluda River, which is the border between Greenville and Anderson Counties. The River Reserve is actually on the Anderson County side of the river, while Acadia is on the Greenville County side. Also you may have noticed that a few of the homes in the River Reserve are on a small lake. It is Woodson Lake, and on the other side is Woodson Lake Estates, where I have relatives residing.
Thanks for the info, Skyliner!
Does anyone do anything on this lake or is it too small? Fishing? Canoeing?

Old 04-15-2008, 06:05 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times
ummm, my moms side of the family is french canadian. we have our family reunion in montreal. I am half canuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadianIrish View Post
I was told it was about 10 to 15 minutes to Greenville from Acadia. Apparently though, it's not out in the middle of nowhere. There is grocery and other retail within 5 minutes.
Check out Acadia for more details on the development.

I'm a TRUE Acadian (my ancestory) so it's kinda neat for me........
I don't know if you have ever heard of Acadians but if you haven't we are a people from France who settled on the East Coast of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Canada in the 1700's. There was a war with the Loyalists from England and we were expelled. Many Acadians returned to Canada many years later but many others found their way to Maine, Mass, etc.......and MANY more went to the southern states. A lot of them settled in Louisana. They mixed well with the African Americans because both were minorities. They couldn't speak English well......and when were asked who they were by the Southerners, they kept saying "A cadjian" (trying to say Acadian with a heavy french accent)........They thought they were saying "A Cajun".......hense......the Canjuns were born, so the story goes. Interesting Canadian history lesson for you.....LOL

Old 04-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
ummm, my moms side of the family is french canadian. we have our family reunion in montreal. I am half canuck!
Hey CUZ!! haha.......Small world! You just never know! A lot of Americans lump Acadians into the category of French Canadians and are always shocked to find out they might actually be Acadian.....who made their way to Quebec. My direct ancestor's settled in Quebec (Gaspe).
P.S. I lived in Montreal for 3 years about 8 years ago. BEAUTIFUL city! Some of the locals can be pretty nasty sometimes though! LOL
Not all of them......but man.......what lousy, rude drivers!

Now that I look at your name......Marquise.......is that your last name? It's totally a french name (but you said your mother's side of the family was French Canadian? Is that your father's last name? Maybe he is French too and doesn't know it! haha)

Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Skyliner!
Does anyone do anything on this lake or is it too small? Fishing? Canoeing?
It is perfect for canoeing, paddle boating, and fishing (not sure how the fishing is these days). I used to go to the lake before most of the homes were constructed in that area and it was very peaceful. It is a nice, serene place to have in your neighborhood. Be sure to check out Woodson Lake Estates on Woodson Road sometime. The homes are less expensive, but still very nice, and there are lots of families with children, but also a few mature singles and couples without children.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:01 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times
montreal is really nice. but I actually prefer quebec city. my mom has been doing a lot of research on family history. I might know more in the future. yes, marquise is my last name but you are way off. marquis is the french name. marquise is pure sicilian. it's all about the pronunciation. marquise is pronounced mar-kay-zee. be sure to roll that r as well. I have never had a person pronounce that last name correctly! except my grandfather, he is pure sicilian. he sweats olive oil and bleeds ragu. he's the real deal!

Quote:
Hey CUZ!! haha.......Small world! You just never know! A lot of Americans lump Acadians into the category of French Canadians and are always shocked to find out they might actually be Acadian.....who made their way to Quebec. My direct ancestor's settled in Quebec (Gaspe).
P.S. I lived in Montreal for 3 years about 8 years ago. BEAUTIFUL city! Some of the locals can be pretty nasty sometimes though! LOL
Not all of them......but man.......what lousy, rude drivers!

Now that I look at your name......Marquise.......is that your last name? It's totally a french name (but you said your mother's side of the family was French Canadian? Is that your father's last name? Maybe he is French too and doesn't know it! haha)

Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 PM

511 posts, read 1,522,989 times
Yes it is the Saluda River. Some of the lots in River Reserve are over an acre as well. It is only 10 to 15 minutes to downtown Greenville.

Last edited by pgriss; 04-15-2008 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: need to add

Old 04-15-2008, 07:14 PM

64 posts, read 289,582 times
Thanks, do you take requests. Would love to see Cobbs Creek in Boiling Springs

Old 04-15-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancys1108 View Post
Thanks, do you take requests. Would love to see Cobbs Creek in Boiling Springs
I have been there and it is out quite a distance from the main route and definitely not close to I-85. Before the homes all went up the mountains were clearly visible on the northern horizon, however, that particular area seems have a natural tendancy to regularly experience brisk to strong winds. Not sure why that is, but now that the homes are built, I would guess that it isn't too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area