Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 AM

354 posts, read 1,078,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri Sanders View Post
AcadianIrish,

I look forward to hearing from you. By the way, I must warn you that I have a very southern accent!

and I have a very "Canadian" one......haha
(I'm sure you sound darling!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 03:02 PM

55 posts, read 172,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadianIrish View Post
Ok........FINALLY.......it looks like my husband and I are going to be taking a trip down to do some house hunting at the end of June.
I'm very excited to finally get the ball rolling......after all this time researching online! I feel like I've already moved there! LOL

We have pretty much established we would like to like on the Eastside of Greenville.
We are open to Simpsonville, Greer, and Powdersville and possibly Taylors (but Taylors doesn't seem very close to the kids' schools)

My kids will be going to school off of Augusta Road (St. Joseph's and Our Lady of the Rosary)

Can you guys help me narrow down some neighbourhoods worth consentrating on? Here is our criteria and price range: (and yes......I realize we are "lucky" to be in this price range so please hold back the negative comments about my criteria. We didn't win the lottery. Lots of hard work....saving.....and sacrifices over the years)

-Neighbourhoods in price ranges from $350-$600ish
-Newer development with amenities such as community pool
-Within 10-15 minutes to the kids schools
-Larger lot but not acreage (too much yard work....haha)
-TREES in the development.......water like rivers or ponds are also nice but not necessary
-FAMILY friendly. Neighbourhoods where kids actually play outside!

I realize that the realtor will be able to give us some direction when we are there......however, I really would like to know what some of the locals views on what neighbourhoods they either live in.......or would LIKE to live in if they could afford it.

THANKS everyone!!
Simply response really..... If you can afford the price range you quoted for housing, why are you even considering St Joseph /Holy Rosery schooling for your children ? There are far better academic choices in private schooling in the Greenville area . I would recommend Christchurch ( but their tuition is far higher) "Horses for courses" of course.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina moon View Post
Simply response really..... If you can afford the price range you quoted for housing, why are you even considering St Joseph /Holy Rosery schooling for your children ? There are far better academic choices in private schooling in the Greenville area . I would recommend Christchurch ( but their tuition is far higher) "Horses for courses" of course.
As my mother used to say......."What does that have to do with the price of eggs??"

(You are obviously are in a foul mood because I just finishing reading about 5 pretty insulting posts on other people's threads which you posted within 10 minutes of each other.)

***warning sarcasim coming:****

I'm choosing St. Joseph's and Our Lady of the Rosary........because we are.....hummmmm.....practicing......hummm.....Catholics?

I know.....I know.......strange choice when you are a practicing Catholic to choose a Catholic School......but......silly me......thought I would be different. LOL

Why would you find it odd, because we can afford a nice house that I wouldn't choose an education for my children that is based on the doctrine of the Church I attend?

For the record: St. Joseph's ranked one of the best private schools in Greenville and top 20 Catholic schools in the nation!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:20 AM

8 posts, read 24,372 times
Default Eastside of Greenville

Just to let you know...the Eastside is not going to be 10 - 15 minutes from your schools on Augusta Road...you are going to probably have more of a 20 minute or more drive...depending on traffic on 85 in the morning. The afternoon drive will be better Just wanted to put that out there...have you thought about Thornblade? They have a golf course, pool, swim team, lots of kids, ponds, etc.GREAT neighborhood feel....I have many friends in Thornblade...and they love it It is on the Eastside of Greenville...I wouldn't consider some of the other neighborhoods stated on the Eastside...Riverwalk is BEAUTIFUL...but I don't consider it Eastside...I consider it "14 area"...More like Simpsonville...On the Eastisde, some neighborhoods that you might be interested in are: Thornblade, Glen Abby, Hammet Bridge (GREAT COMMUNITY), Barrington Park, Sugar Creek and Sugar Mill. Thornblade, Hammet Bridge, Barrington Park, Sugar Creek and Sugar MIll are FULL of kids playing and they are all GREAT communities...with kids playing outside. There are also a lot of kids over here that go to private school... I think that you also need to take into consideration the community that you will be moving into A great and welcoming neighborhood can make all the difference in your life in Greenville Good Luck...

Old 05-29-2008, 05:54 PM

11 posts, read 21,868 times
Acadian, I am officially stalking you and stealing all the great advice you're getting!

Also loving your posting-style!

Old 05-29-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceratops View Post
Acadian, I am officially stalking you and stealing all the great advice you're getting!

Also loving your posting-style!

Staulk away.....I don't mind!

Are you in a similar situation as me? Maybe we will be neighbours someday....wouldn't that be funny!
Hope the great advice I'm getting from these people on the forum is helping you as much as it's helping me!

Thanks for the "posting compliment!" If you like my writing style......then you'd love me in person! I'm a blast to have around! Toot-toot! (that's tooting your own horn.......justttt in case anyone was wondering.....) LOL

Old 05-31-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4 View Post
Just to let you know...the Eastside is not going to be 10 - 15 minutes from your schools on Augusta Road...you are going to probably have more of a 20 minute or more drive...depending on traffic on 85 in the morning. The afternoon drive will be better Just wanted to put that out there...have you thought about Thornblade? They have a golf course, pool, swim team, lots of kids, ponds, etc.GREAT neighborhood feel....I have many friends in Thornblade...and they love it It is on the Eastside of Greenville...I wouldn't consider some of the other neighborhoods stated on the Eastside...Riverwalk is BEAUTIFUL...but I don't consider it Eastside...I consider it "14 area"...More like Simpsonville...On the Eastisde, some neighborhoods that you might be interested in are: Thornblade, Glen Abby, Hammet Bridge (GREAT COMMUNITY), Barrington Park, Sugar Creek and Sugar Mill. Thornblade, Hammet Bridge, Barrington Park, Sugar Creek and Sugar MIll are FULL of kids playing and they are all GREAT communities...with kids playing outside. There are also a lot of kids over here that go to private school... I think that you also need to take into consideration the community that you will be moving into A great and welcoming neighborhood can make all the difference in your life in Greenville Good Luck...
Some great advice! Thanks! I totally agree.
The neigbourhood makes all the difference in the world as to how you view your life in a city.

My family is very friendly and won't have any trouble meeting new people but.......when you move into someone's "territory" that isn't open to newcombers.......it can be pretty "chilly" outside. (even when the temps are in the 90's!)

I will certainly look into those developments that you recommended.
Do you know if there are a lot of families that go to St. Joseph's or OLR in any of those neigbourhoods? It would be helpful......for the "carpooling" option.
I have three kids.......all going to different schools (preschooler going to St. Mary of Magdelin Child Development Center in Simpsonville)
I know......a lot of driving.......but it's only for one year.....then we are down to two schools.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:54 AM

Ooops.......I meant "newcomers".........not "combers".........haha.........
However, I'm sure many of you are wondering why I keep putting a "u" in words like "neighbourhood", "favourite", etc........
That is how we spell those words in Canada and England, so I'm not as illiterate as I may seem on some posts........LOL

Old 05-31-2008, 01:47 PM

8 posts, read 24,372 times
Default St. Joseph's

I know of several people in my neighborhood/this side of town that go to St. Joseph's...I am not sure about the other two schools, though. Let me know if I can help you in any way

Old 05-31-2008, 09:13 PM

282 posts, read 751,075 times
Have you spoken with the schools to see if they would tell you what neighborhoods some of the children live in? They might be willing to share names of neighborhoods to you. If you find out the neighborhoods, and need help in homes for sale, just let me know. How could anyone say "no" to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area