Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2022, 06:08 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
That article goes against the reinvention theme you presented for Charleston. It is the same old history stuff again. It's time to come back to the future.

I feel bad for the kids who are forced to go on those carriage rides with their parents. That's the ultimate tourist trap.

Seems just like yesterday when I first read this article in the Post and Courier entitled "City charming to the eyes but offensive to the nose" about the horse related odors downtown. That's on top of the pluff mud and paper mill odors.

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...66481fb82.html
Horse lovers aren’t offended. It reminds me of the horse stables at my late grandparents’ farm. But I haven’t noticed it much. The article said it was a dry summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 06:14 AM

Quote:
That article goes against the reinvention theme you presented for Charleston. It is the same old history stuff again. It's time to come back to the future.

I feel bad for the kids who are forced to go on those carriage rides with their parents. That's the ultimate tourist trap.

Seems just like yesterday when I first read this article in the Post and Courier entitled "City charming to the eyes but offensive to the nose" about the horse related odors downtown. That's on top of the pluff mud and paper mill odors.

After you touted Greenville and the Upstate’s history as a big draw.

“…a notable restaurant and music scene, myriad cultural and sports activities and hotels that appeal to the most discerning visitors.” - from the article I posted.

Not sure what’s so historic about sailing around the periphery of the peninsula, as the article recommended. And one need not give a flip about history to enjoy the gardens with awe, in the city or on the old plantations.

Edit: “…King Street, the ‘Soho of the South,’ where you’ll find an interesting mix of national and international brands along with locally-owned businesses.” -also from the article I posted

Last edited by Charlestondata; 09-02-2022 at 06:26 AM..

Old 09-02-2022, 06:22 AM

Quote:
I thought you were from The OC, Orangeburg County.
My maternal roots go back further in Charleston than in Orangeburg County. I’m from South Carolina, have lived in different towns and cities in the state since early childhood, and as cities go, Charleston has influenced my way of thinking a great deal.

Old 09-02-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:

An article for everyone:

I’ll take the smell of horses, a paper mill and pluff mud all mixed up and detectable with every breath (which is what haters would have everyone believe about Charleston) over living in one of the most rat-infested cities. The article you shared was from a dry year 15 years ago. The article below is from yesterday.

This article includes accolades for Greenville. Every accolades-worthy city has things that some people don’t care for.

https://www.thestate.com/news/state/...265185446.html

Old 09-02-2022, 07:05 AM

34 posts, read 23,640 times
Quote:
What is an example of a nook and cranny the average tourist would visit?

I think Greenville could increase tourism significantly if the city ran television ads presenting Greenville as the Asheville alternative, especially if they run the ads on networks with an audience more likely to be open to the message. The average CNN and MSNBC viewer probably can not be talked into visiting Greenville over Asheville.
This is going to be controversial but this is probably the biggest thing that Charleston has over Greenville. Greenville is a very red town. It's improving but still has a long way to go. Great if you are a white straight male not so much if you are a female, minority or LGBTQ+.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:26 AM

1,290 posts, read 783,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinggoat View Post
This is going to be controversial but this is probably the biggest thing that Charleston has over Greenville. Greenville is a very red town. It's improving but still has a long way to go. Great if you are a white straight male not so much if you are a female, minority or LGBTQ+.
You've presented no evidence that people in these groups are oppressed in Greenville. It is rare for me to not see gay people when I go downtown and they generally look happy.

Many people with your views tend to present females, minorities, and gay people as monolithic with no diversity of thought on issues. It would be difficult for this area to be majority red without female votes.

Recently you have claimed being for school choice is racist and the state law prohibiting males from playing in female sports is bigotry.
Many female athletes oppose males competing in their sports because the male body is a competitive advantage. School choice allows minorities to attend schools with higher scores if their local schools have low scores. The kind of policies you supported for covid were not supported by many minorities on civil rights grounds.

When Greenville and the country had slavery and segregation, conservatives were not in power in SC. FDR dominated in the south. Today conservatives in Greenville and the state have elected one of the 3 black senators.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 09-02-2022 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-02-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
An article for everyone:

I’ll take the smell of horses, a paper mill and pluff mud all mixed up and detectable with every breath (which is what haters would have everyone believe about Charleston) over living in one of the most rat-infested cities. The article you shared was from a dry year 15 years ago. The article below is from yesterday.

This article includes accolades for Greenville. Every accolades-worthy city has things that some people don’t care for.

https://www.thestate.com/news/state/...265185446.html

Sounds like Greenville should change Mice on Main to Rats On Main.

It seems unlikely Greenville has more rats than other city. It could be rats are more common in certain areas for natural reasons.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:21 AM

46 posts, read 43,065 times
Greenville: " Our gay folk generally look happy downtown and we have Bob Jones U."
Charleston: " Our waterfall smells of pluff mud and occurs twice each day."

Old 09-02-2022, 09:30 AM

Most of the people who complain about Bob Jones have voted for several politicians who were against gay marriage until public opinion shifted.

I wonder if the Summerville resident could explain what the small private college Bob Jones has to do with most people in Greenville to include tourists.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:34 AM

46 posts, read 43,065 times
Quote:
Most of the people who complain about Bob Jones have voted for several politicians who were against gay marriage until public opinion shifted.
Well, of course! This explains why Greenville is the new hotness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area