Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2022, 09:39 AM

1,290 posts, read 784,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Don’t worry. We did something. This was when we were still on the comeback post-pandemic. The man who said “if we do nothing” was a proponent of establishing the business improvement district, and the business improvement district was approved unanimously by Charleston City Council earlier this year. The new openings, in-progress up-fittings and new construction in the BID have us taking it to a new level, with a continuing healthy mix of local, regional and national retail, restaurants and bars.
I was surprised a city with as much tourism and hype as Charleston would have issues filling vacancies from covid unless there are a lot of people down there who have not returned to work because of anxiety over covid. It seems impossible the Starbucks couldn't thrive on King St for example. There are Starbucks in small towns like Seneca that do a business.

The article had somebody talking about how they don't want King St to have everywhere USA retail but then mentions a Target opening up on King.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2022, 10:14 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
The Asheville tourism website makes my point. They feature Grandfather Mountain although it is 1.5 hours from Asheville.

Greenville is the same distance from Tallulah Gorge in Georgia and a shorter distance to Chimney Rock in NC.

I thought you were posting on here to disagree with me that Greenville is an alternative to Asheville for a Blue Ridge vacation. As a basecamp for a Blue Ridge vacation, Asheville works fine. I think Greenville has a nicer downtown, downtown park, urban trail, and you can walk from downtown to a zoo.

In my view, it is generally people with your views who have the most intense passion for downtown Greenville. It's a love story.

If you’re saying Tallulah Gorge is in the same league as Grandfather Mountain, I don’t think so! Greenville is over twice the distance to the entrance to Chimney Rock State Park as Asheville (57 versus 27 miles). You have said repeatedly Asheville is not a good base for a Blue Ridge vacation, which is completely offbase. I will say again, Asheville and Greenville are each unique and have alot to offer.

Last edited by Lizap; 09-04-2022 at 10:25 AM..

Old 09-04-2022, 10:31 AM

I'm positive there are many people would would enjoy Tallulah Gorge more than Grandfather Mountain. It is more unique in my view as one the deepest gorges on the east coast with multiple waterfalls. More people including kids and senior citizens would be able to do the rim trail at Tallulah than the hikes on Grandfather. I would be surprised if you have been there because you haven't mentioned any outdoor stuff you have done in NC. There are great hiking trails with overlooks near the gorge to include Whiteside Mountain, a National Recreation Trail.

Greenville is closer to other Blue Ridge natural attractions like Caesars Head, Table Rock, Lake Jocassee, Whitewater Falls, Issaqueena Falls, etc. The point is Asheville lists a lot of attractions that are a good drive from Asheville. Grandfather Mountain is one they tagged "Featured".

It would probably be considered Greenville boosterism by some people if the city featured Tallulah Gorge.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 09-04-2022 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-04-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I'm positive there are many people would would enjoy Tallulah Gorge more than Grandfather Mountain. It is more unique in my view as one the deepest gorges on the east coast with multiple waterfalls. I would be surprised if you have been there because you haven't mentioned any outdoor stuff you have done in NC. There are great hiking trails with overlooks near the gorge to include Whiteside Mountain, a National Recreation Trail.

Greenville is closer to other natural attractions like Caesars Head, Table Rock, Lake Jocassee, Whitewater Falls, Issaqueena Falls, etc. The point is Asheville lists a lot of attractions that are a good drive from Asheville.
FYI, I have been to Talulah Falls multiple times. I don’t understand your continual need to try to assert that one place is better than another. With that said, I don’t think most would agree with your assessment of Grandfather Mountain. We are fortunate that we live in a beautiful part of the country that has relatively easy access to some nice areas.

Old 09-04-2022, 10:54 AM

You just said Grandfather Mountain is not in the same league as Tallulah Gorge, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Georgia.

You have said Greenville can not be considered an alternative to Asheville for a Blue Ridge vacation. My assertion Greenville is an alternative to Asheville is not a recommendation to never visit Asheville but you take it like that.

Old 09-04-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
You just said Grandfather Mountain is not in the same league as Tallulah Gorge, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Georgia.

You have said Greenville can not be considered an alternative to Asheville for a Blue Ridge vacation. My assertion Greenville is an alternative to Asheville is not a recommendation to never visit Asheville but you take it like that.
Ok, let’s just say they both have much to offer in their own rights and leave it at that.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:32 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,326,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
It is common practice to use percentages when looking at statistics like these. It gives an idea how each is growing, without regard to size. Of course, Greenville county has larger raw numbers since Greenville county is larger. It should be noted that the city of Asheville is actually larger than the city of Greenville (94,589 versus 70,720, per Wikepedia 2020).
Greenville technically still is larger. Can't annex in SC like NC can. I guess Charlotte is really larger than Atlanta too if you want to use that metric? But most people know better. Most of Greenville's urban area sits outside the small 29 square mile city limits. Most of the biggest shopping district here is even outside of the politically drawn city limits. Hell some places like Augusta has city-county population combined. Making them look much larger on paper then it really is. It's a flawed metric because every state's laws are different. Don't fool yourself. Greenville is larger. That's why it has stuff not up there like Cheesecake Factory, Top Golf, etc. There is reason we as business people don't use city limit population metrics. It's flawed. We use Metro and Urban area to decide the economic strength of a place. Seems like this has to be explained at least once a year on here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/as...00k/ar-AASsgfb

This article further helps to explain Greenville's challenges with annexing the surrounding urban area.

Last edited by DSMRE; 09-04-2022 at 11:41 AM..

Old 09-04-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
Greenville technically still is larger. Can't annex in SC like NC can. I guess Charlotte is really larger than Atlanta too if you want to use that metric? But most people know better. Most of Greenville's urban area sits outside the small 29 square mile city limits. Most of the biggest shopping district here is even outside of the politically drawn city limits. Hell some places like Augusta has city-county population combined. Making them look much larger on paper then it really is. It's a flawed metric because every state's laws are different. Don't fool yourself. Greenville is larger. That's why it has stuff not up there like Cheesecake Factory, Top Golf, etc. There is reason we as business people don't use city limit population metrics. It's flawed. We use Metro and Urban area to decide the economic strength of a place. Seems like this has to be explained at least once a year on here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/as...00k/ar-AASsgfb

This article further helps to explain Greenville's challenges with annexing the surrounding urban area.
I didn’t realize this was ever in question. The Greenville AREA feels larger because it is. The Greenville metro is much more spread out. Much of the Asheville metro is to the south; the north, east, and west is more mountainous. BUT, Wikepedia is correct in that the actual CITY of Asheville is larger.

Old 09-04-2022, 12:24 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Quote:
I was surprised a city with as much tourism and hype as Charleston would have issues filling vacancies from covid unless there are a lot of people down there who have not returned to work because of anxiety over covid. It seems impossible the Starbucks couldn't thrive on King St for example. There are Starbucks in small towns like Seneca that do a business.

The article had somebody talking about how they don't want King St to have everywhere USA retail but then mentions a Target opening up on King.
It’s a specialized neighborhood Target. It took the place of a chain. Something better will locate where the Starbucks was. Starbucks is overrated for such a spot anyway. There’s one at King and Calhoun and further up King. Post COVID, things got shaken up, mostly for the better. Some long lasting businesses that had run their course stepped aside. New businesses have taken or are about to take their place. The number of vacancies is healthy now. Anyone walking or driving down King Street focusing on ‘for lease’ signs instead of on all the occupancies by quality businesses or on the “leased” signs or brown paper in the windows of spaces currently being up-fitted would have to be a negative local or someone from off coming to criticize. King Street is virtually full and/or spoken for. And new construction is underway or on the way. King Street isn’t going to have too much ‘everywhere USA’ retail.

Old 09-04-2022, 12:48 PM

12,923 posts, read 18,770,297 times
BTW, that Starbucks is just up from the Riviera, a new live entertainment venue that used to be a movie theater by the same name, and just across the street from where Charleston Place is putting its Gucci store as it relocates it from around the corner on Market, and that’s among several other new retail offerings and building renovations in that immediate vicinity, and that’s just that immediate vicinity. King Street and the side streets are announcing new openings and plans weekly if not daily, and, as I said, that’s on top of a virtually full and/or already spoken for, long retail corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area