Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2022, 10:46 AM

1,290 posts, read 782,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EutawSprings1992 View Post
I understand that you are not the OP. But you do realize that this thread is Apples and Oranges, yes?

So yes and thank you for your posts and insight !
I don't understand the apples and oranges comment

The travel writer suggested checking out Greenville. What's the issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Here we go...
It seems like your main interest in posting on the Greenville forum is to do partisan accusations. You don't live in Greenville but soon after a person with your views makes an accusation, you post on here. You are in a position where you have to argue FDR Democrats were conservatives. It doesn't make sense.

Greenville was considered New South because of the high number of Republican transplants as it industrialized.

Old 09-02-2022, 05:26 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The point was that Greenville is more conservative than Charleston, relatively speaking. Is that even debatable?
Who says far liberal is better than conservative? I personally prefer a mixed climate.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
I personally prefer a mixed climate.
This isn't true based on my interactions with you on here. But what does your comment, one you have made frequently on this forum, have to do with cities and tourism?

A tourist is far more likely to witness a liberal political protest in downtown Greenville on a visit than a conservative political event. There was a protest against the Supreme Court's decision on Roe in downtown Greenville recently , with arrests made after violence of some kind.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
The beauty is that they are not far apart and both can be visited on the same trip.
Acknowledging the cities are not far apart contradicts your assertion Greenville can't be an alternative to Asheville.

It is my understanding Greenville has more hotel rooms filled on weekends than during the week despite a lot of business travelers. There are people who choose to visit Greenville on the weekend and some percentage of them might have stayed in the Asheville area if Greenville was not an attractive option for them.

SC has been able to lure businesses by being a pro business alternative to other states. Greenville specifically marketing the city as an alternative to Asheville could boost tourism. It wouldn't hurt to try if tourism is a good thing. I would place ads for Greenville on television programs that discuss things like crime in urban areas. The ads would have shots of Main Street, Falls Park, Caesars Head, Pretty Place, Whitewater Falls, Chattooga River, Lake Jocassee, etc, and mention things like Falls Park being the highest rated city park on TripAdvisor. The juxtaposition between the content of these programs and the video of Greenville will be powerful.

I think my strategy would work better than paying for spots on lists that most people won't see, if we stipulate the city has bribed the media as some people claim. Many of those lists are in media with audiences with your views and not likely to be open to visiting Greenville over Asheville. It is like trying to persuade people with your views to visit Lubbock over Austin.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 09-03-2022 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-03-2022, 07:38 AM

Charlestondata

Came across this article about King Street's future.

https://www.preservationsociety.org/...ment-district/

“If we do nothing right now, I guarantee you the business will continue to decline and there will be more and more vacancies,†Bob Siegel, a downtown Charleston resident and former CEO of the clothing brand Lacoste USA, said during the first commission meeting last August. “Unless Charleston, the city, is really prepared to help and support the reinvention of this shopping experience on King, traffic and sales will continue to decline.â€

Old 09-03-2022, 07:49 AM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
Acknowledging the cities are not far apart contradicts your assertion Greenville can't be an alternative to Asheville.

It is my understanding Greenville has more hotel rooms filled on weekends than during the week despite a lot of business travelers. There are people who choose to visit Greenville on the weekend and some percentage of them might have stayed in the Asheville area if Greenville was not an attractive option for them.

SC has been able to lure businesses by being a pro business alternative to other states. Greenville specifically marketing the city as an alternative to Asheville could boost tourism. It wouldn't hurt to try if tourism is a good thing. I would place ads for Greenville on television programs that discuss things like crime in urban areas. The ads would have shots of Main Street, Falls Park, Caesars Head, Pretty Place, Whitewater Falls, Chattooga River, Lake Jocassee, etc, and mention things like Falls Park being the highest rated city park on TripAdvisor. The juxtaposition between the content of these programs and the video of Greenville will be powerful.

I think my strategy would work better than paying for spots on lists that most people won't see, if we stipulate the city has bribed the media as some people claim. Many of those lists are in media with audiences with your views and not likely to be open to visiting Greenville over Asheville. It is like trying to persuade people with your views to visit Lubbock over Austin.
No it doesn’t. They are completely different and unique in their own rights.

FYI, CNBC this year ranked North Carolina the #1 state for business in the U.S. South Carolina was way down the list at #36.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/13/nort...-business.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/13/amer...-rankings.html

Old 09-03-2022, 08:46 AM

This isn't an economic development topic but employers typically mention SC being pro business as one of the reasons they located here.

It is worth noting the Asheville metro has a lower population than Greenville. Its reputation doesn't help attract major corporations.

This list has SC above NC. https://www.areadevelopment.com/Top-...sultants.shtml

This article discusses out of staters flocking to Greenville. https://greenvillejournal.com/commun...ulation-shift/

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 09-03-2022 at 09:38 AM..

Old 09-03-2022, 01:28 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
This isn't an economic development topic but employers typically mention SC being pro business as one of the reasons they located here.

It is worth noting the Asheville metro has a lower population than Greenville. Its reputation doesn't help attract major corporations.

This list has SC above NC. https://www.areadevelopment.com/Top-...sultants.shtml

This article discusses out of staters flocking to Greenville. https://greenvillejournal.com/commun...ulation-shift/
Your first article is dated 2018. Not familiar with areadevelopment.com. Per usafacts.org, between 2020-2021, Greenville county’s pop. increased 1.3% while Buncombe county increased .7%. Not that different.

Last edited by Lizap; 09-03-2022 at 01:44 PM..

Old 09-03-2022, 03:10 PM

Could you recommend the things you would do on a weekend trip to Asheville?

I'm trying to understand why it would be better than a trip to Greenville. As I've mentioned, you have to get out of town for hiking, whitewater rafting, waterfalls etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area