Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 04:11 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
Where are these new bus shelters? They must be in an alternate dimension that only certain people can see into.
They built a brand new shelter at the Greenville Tech campus the week before Thanksgiving. I pass 3 bus stops on my commute, two are new sheltered stops, the third is in a neighborhood and is nothing more than a sign and widened sidewalk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 04:24 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
There are also new shelters on Verdae Blvd, Augusta Road, and on Poinsett Highway.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:35 PM

216 posts, read 413,438 times
If you know or remember, were there shelters at these two stops previously? If so, were they damaged or an eyesore (or both)? Replacing serviceable existing shelters, instead of putting shelters at stops that don't have one, is not a good thing, IMHO. I think putting shelters where there were none should be top priority. If they actually did that at those two stops, I think it's fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
They built a brand new shelter at the Greenville Tech campus the week before Thanksgiving. I pass 3 bus stops on my commute, two are new sheltered stops, the third is in a neighborhood and is nothing more than a sign and widened sidewalk.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Were they replacements or were they truly new shelters, where none had been before? If you know, that is. I hope they were new and not replacements (unless they were really damaged and needed to be replaced).

When I'd call GreenLink, nobody ever had any concrete information about anything. I'd be told what was planned in a general, PR way, but they never could name any specific projects or give any projected/expected completion dates for said projects. All I got was vague assurances that they were going to make some changes. I even called the office of the city official (forgot his name) that's over GreenLink to try to get some information about future plans. Got nothing. I have very little confidence in the leadership at GL.

But, that's not my fight anymore. I just piped in to give a regular rider's point of view, for the sake of balance. There is usually a difference between the ideal and reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
There are also new shelters on Verdae Blvd, Augusta Road, and on Poinsett Highway.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Most of them were replacements. The one on Verdae though is an additional one. I have gotten more information about Greenlink from the City of Greenville than from Greenlink themselves. I agree that the transit system is terrible and needs improvement badly. They're finally starting to make improvements to the current system and hopefully a major expansion will be in the works soon.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
That is a good distinction....fixing old bus shelters that already existed at bus stops vs. adding new bus shelters and benches at all stops that do not currently have them. They are badly needed additions along Pleasantburg road and down on the end of Augusta road in the area heading towards the Donaldson center. Have seen people get off the buses in places like next to gas stations that I was shocked to know was actually a bus stop......in fact back on Fork Shoals road the bus stop is literally on the property of a little cricket gas station.....have seen people standing there a lot waiting on the bus.

Adding new bus shelters and benches to stops that do not have any is not the only issue. The stops need to be closer together.....for example a bus stop every two blocks. Have seen people get off the bus with a baby stroller and they had to walk a lot of blocks along roads that do not even have a side walk which can be quite dangerous. Hope during my next visit to Greenville that I will be surprised at the progress that Greenlink has made....but we'll just wait and see on that.

As LadyRo said in her previous post Greenlink does not care about the quality of the bus service because the riders are poor and the other reason is that most people have cars so there is currently no demand for the bus service.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:38 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
As LadyRo said in her previous post Greenlink does not care about the quality of the bus service because the riders are poor and the other reason is that most people have cars so there is currently no demand for the bus service.
I would love to see proof that both of these reasons are true. The notion that Greenlink does not care about quality "because the riders are poor" seems contrary to the fact that they are actually trying to expand and improve service within a very small annual budget. The position that "most people have cars", therefore "there is currently no demand for the bus service" is illogical. The fact that most people own and drive an automobile does not automatically eliminate the necessity for municipal transit. It obviously affects the level of necessity, but cannot be considered a viable reason for the elimination of bus service altogether, unless I've missed something. Consider successful transit services in other cities, which also have a greater percentage of the local population driving cars.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:03 PM

Who are YOU that any of us need to prove anything to you? Get *** real. I said what I said, and there are a lot of people who would agree with me. The fact that you don't even want to consider that the complaints, of ACTUAL GREENLINK RIDERS, could be valid just illustrates my point all the more. These complaints are not coming from people you RESPECT, so they can't possibly be valid, and if they aren't valid, naturally they can't be taken seriously. Please, spare me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I would love to see proof that both of these reasons are true. The notion that Greenlink does not care about quality "because the riders are poor" seems contrary to the fact that they are actually trying to expand and improve service within a very small annual budget. The position that "most people have cars", therefore "there is currently no demand for the bus service" is illogical. The fact that most people own and drive an automobile does not automatically eliminate the necessity for municipal transit. It obviously affects the level of necessity, but cannot be considered a viable reason for the elimination of bus service altogether, unless I've missed something. Consider successful transit services in other cities, which also have a greater percentage of the local population driving cars.

Last edited by linicx; 12-02-2009 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
Who are YOU that any of us need to prove anything to you? Get *** real. I said what I said, and there are a lot of people who would agree with me. The fact that you don't even want to consider that the complaints, of ACTUAL GREENLINK RIDERS, could be valid just illustrates my point all the more. These complaints are not coming from people you RESPECT, so they can't possibly be valid, and if they aren't valid, naturally they can't be taken seriously. Please, spare me.
Cut Greenlink some slack! They're doing the best they can with what they get. There are plans in the works, but they take TIME.

Last edited by linicx; 12-02-2009 at 12:54 AM.. Reason: removed inappropriate language from quoted post

Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 PM

I don't have to cut GreenLink any slack, and I'm not. Sorry if I'm tarnishing your image of Greenville as the "most 'awesomest' and most 'perfectest' city on the planet". Oh wait, let me stop telling lies... I'm not sorry. Greenville isn't perfect, GreenLink sucks for the rider, and no amount of you wanting it to be perfect will make it so.

I am from Greenville, and my roots for the area stretch back into the 1700s before dead ending. I said that to say that I'm vested in Greenville, whether or not I live there or 2 hours away, as I do now. So, don't tell me what I can or can't complain about. I paid to ride; and my taxes, and those of my family, went into GTA and go into GreenLink. I can gripe as much as I want.

When GreenLink shows real, tangible improvement from the RIDER'S perspective, I will give them their just due. I'm not being critical for kicks! The other side has to be represented. Too bad, so sad for anyone who doesn't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Cut Greenlink some slack! They're doing the best they can with what they get. There are plans in the works, but they take TIME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area