Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
The Reedy project is not a done deal and doesn't even have funding yet. Of course the areas outside of downtown take a backseat. Downtown is more important. Duh.
Whether the project has been funded or not yet....the bottom line is that the funding will come from multiple fed, state and other sources! Where is the same motivation for other projects outside of downtown? I forgot you already kept it real and said downtown is more important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 05:06 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Notice on the thread about the Reedy River development that is starting in downtown early 2010.....if you have not done so already click the link and read the plan....notice where the money is coming from to complete the Reedy project? What is being discussed here is Greenvilles priority and unfortunately because downtown is the city's (cash cow) tourist attraction they spend money on that first....the projects in areas outside of downtown take a backseat, they drag their feet getting things done in the poor areas. It's business.....the transplants that are moving to Greenville have more money then the natives and they spend their money downtown so keeping everything pretty for the newcomers is important. I was a transplant who lived there for a few years and know what I have seen with my own eyes!

If anyone knows how mass transit should operate it is me.....as an EXAMPLE I grew up here in a city with over 8 million people and a mass transit system that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A car is optional here, the vast majority ride with NYC Transit and that is the reason that this transit system is the most extensive system in the world.......so please when I say that Greenlink does not care about a service that transports the poor and is not a necessity for most in Greenville because they have cars I know what I am talking about!
Ongoing selective comparisons between Greenville and NYC aside, interesting perspective. According to a previous post (regarding which I am at least partially in agreement), you believe transplants are the only hope for South Carolina's future anyway... so perhaps the City is investing our money wisely afterall, hoping to lure new businesses and young professionals by creating a vibrant urban environment where they can effectively survive and expand. A greater number of young transplants will lead to more positive change, similar to the growth and development we've seen during the past couple of decades.

Quote:
...young professionals are the way to build a city that can be lived in year round.

We need to attract that crowd here to Greenville. They bring with them fresh ideas, energy and a look toward the future because they are young and just starting out in their lives. The retirement community has it's place here in Greenville........but we need the young professionals to build a stronger foundation towards diversity in this city.
Quote:
...In my opinion we need to be moving in the direction of attracting a younger professional crowd that want to live in Greenville year round.........currently we are heavily attracting those that are older, retired and looking to relocate from other cities which is making us more of a retirement city.

There is nothing wrong with attracting an older retirement crowd......however it is the young professionals that will drive a citys growth into the future.
Quote:
...change in any state begins with it's people... ...I truly believe in my heart that in order for Greenville to continue on the path to progress we must continue to attract those from other states that see the potential just like I did and decide to move here. The "transplants" coming from other states bring different industries and job opportunties that do not currently exist in Greenville. Those industries bring diverse and better paying job opportunities for Greenville residents...
The beauty and diversity of Downtown attracts people of all ages, from various cultural backgrounds. Downtown generates significant value for the community and impacts the region in many ways that otherwise would not (and formerly did not) exist. Downtown has become the heartbeat of our future, which in turn has guaranteed prosperity for the next generation. A high profile center like Reedy Square is perfect for the city because it will introduce visitors (including countless potential transplants) to the virtually impeccable natural beauty of the region in addition to the strength of potential in the local economy.

As the population density increases in Greenville, greater demand for public transportation will encourage better funding and service. Even today, federal funding is being sought for vast improvements to the current system. No one is denying the need for change, but some people apparently have not been aware of the pursuit by local leaders to bring that desired change.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:29 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Ongoing selective comparisons between Greenville and NYC aside, interesting perspective. According to a previous post (regarding which I am at least partially in agreement), you believe transplants are the only hope for South Carolina's future anyway... so perhaps the City is investing our money wisely afterall, hoping to lure new businesses and young professionals by creating a vibrant urban environment where they can effectively survive and expand. A greater number of young transplants will lead to more positive change, similar to the growth and development we've seen during the past couple of decades.

The beauty and diversity of Downtown attracts people of all ages, from various cultural backgrounds. Downtown generates significant value for the community and impacts the region in many ways that otherwise would not (and formerly did not) exist. Downtown has become the heartbeat of our future, which in turn has guaranteed prosperity for the next generation. A high profile center like Reedy Square is perfect for the city because it will introduce visitors (including countless potential transplants) to the virtually impeccable natural beauty of the region in addition to the strength of potential in the local economy.

As the population density increases in Greenville, greater demand for public transportation will encourage better funding and service. Even today, federal funding is being sought for vast improvements to the current system. No one is denying the need for change, but some people apparently have not been aware of the pursuit by local leaders to bring that desired change.
Well said! Change (even in the area's mass transit) IS coming. Patience is the order of the day...

Old 12-02-2009, 06:41 PM

That's right I said it, transplants arriving in the city will push progress forward and I stand by everything that I said. Does not mean that all of the money should be spent downtown and exclude the poor.

Like I said about everything else....I don't put a lot of belief in plans....I will believe things are actually being done when more progress is taking place in areas outside of downtown....until then it is all just words!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:11 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Time takes time to pass. And it takes time for any city to raise the millions of dollars to renew an area. Whilst it is true the poor areas in any town are treated like the runt pup, it does not mean the people are abandoned by the city. I"d bet a cup of coffee there are other factions at work including slum landlords and landowners who take no pride.

One of the things that can happen is groups like "Hearts and Hammers" form to vountarily rehab houses in need. It is amazing what something as simple as replacing a broken door lock can do for an elderly home owner. I lived in areas where county and small cities found grant money for these types of project. Sometimes the only thing needed is one good idea.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 PM

216 posts, read 413,438 times
I get what you're saying, and I think a regional transit system would be great. I also would not have a problem with GreenLink implementing a reasonable fare hike to raise money for the changes that will directly affect the rider, like new shelters where there are none, etc. Too many people in Greenville think they're supposed to get everything for nothing. I have not one problem with fares being increased, IF the extra money will go toward a better experience for the RIDER, and not just towards cosmetics or infrastructure. Most GreenLink riders are poor, but they're not so poor that they can't "find" the money for their habits and vices. They'll "find" the money to get to work, school, etc, if they have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Not at all - just asking you to be realistic. Greenlink is run by the city of Greenville, which is quite small, population and land area-wise. They only have the resources of such a city, not of a much larger city, which is what you seem to think.

Now, maybe someday, if we get a regional transit system that's not dependent on a single municipality, it can become what you seem to want. But until then, I think they're making wise changes and do have plans for prudent expansion; it's unrealistic and counter-productive to believe otherwise.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 PM

216 posts, read 413,438 times
If you had to SOLELY DEPEND on GreenLink for your livlihood, you might feel differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Well said! Change (even in the area's mass transit) IS coming. Patience is the order of the day...

Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 AM

82 posts, read 187,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
You must have spoken to those people several years ago, because you seem unaware of several key occurrences in the recent past:

-The city of Greenville is now in charge of the bus service.
-It is now called GreenLink.
-New bus shelters have been installed over the last year or so, and are continuing to be installed.
-New buses are being purchased to improve the fleet.
-More frequent stops are being scheduled.
-New routes are being planned for new areas of town.
-The main transfer center downtown is being renovated and improved.
-Plans are in place for bus rapid transit (BRT), and a federal grant has been applied for to help fund this.

So either the city is doing an amazing job to accomplish all of this without spending any money, or you are incorrect to assume that no money is being spent on public transit in Greenville.
We're hoping to move to Greenville in a couple of years, but need to accommodate a non-driving family member, so bus lines are important to us. Does anyone know what new routes are being planned or considered? I checked out the route maps at Greenlink Route Maps# and most of the routes seem to be set up on a hub and spokes scheme, which is logical given the prime central core destination, but are there any plans to add "cross town" busses to the mix? It looks, for example, like if one lived in the Augusta Rd area and one wanted to get to the mall, that one would have to take the #10 downtown and then transfer to the #8. If there were a route or two which ran perpendicular to those emanting from downtown, basically in a concentric loops around the downtown, then those routes would intersect all the spoke routes, making all sorts of transfer/route combinations possible.

I cite Augusta road as when we visted last fall we drove through that area and thought it was pretty nice.

Thanks!

Last edited by fromCT; 05-08-2010 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-08-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromCT View Post
We're hoping to move to Greenville in a couple of years, but need to accommodate a non-driving family member, so bus lines are important to us. Does anyone know what new routes are being planned or considered? I checked out the route maps at Greenlink Route Maps# and most of the routes seem to be set up on a hub and spokes scheme, which is logical given the prime central core destination, but are there any plans to add "cross town" busses to the mix? It looks, for example, like if one lived in the Augusta Rd area and one wanted to get to the mall, that one would have to take the #10 downtown and then transfer to the #8. If there were a route or two which ran perpendicular to those emanting from downtown, basically in a concentric loops around the downtown, then those routes would intersect all the spoke routes, making all sorts of transfer/route combinations possible.

I cite Augusta road as when we visted last fall we drove through that area and thought it was pretty nice.

Thanks!
South Carolina has made progress on some things.......offering EXTENSIVE mass transit is not one of them! As you have already noticed the Greenlink bus system is missing some very important components.....cross town transfers connecting to other areas that a rider may wish to travel to. I am sure someone will get on here and point to an article they have read or a link for you to read about Greenlinks plan for expansion of service.......plans are great on paper but no one can guarantee when those plans will actually happen.....could take years for Greenville to develop the kind of mass transit system that you are describing. Save yourself some headaches......if driving is not possible due to a medical condition then you will need to check and see if there are services there to help with transportation needs for someone who is visually impaired before you move.

Things are very spread out (sprawl) and South Carolina is a very car dependent place. Good luck...

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 05-08-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area