Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times

Advertisements

Location: Sandy Springs, GA. When did Greenville move to Atlanta? You're complaining about our local bus system and you don't even live here. Wow. Just wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 PM

216 posts, read 413,438 times
If you'll notice, I only came back in here when I was addressed. After my last response to you, I was done. So don't give me grief. If I'm replied to, I will respond. Very simple concept.

Furthermore, I've already stated I lived there until August, and that I could only speak for the time I was there. Additonally, just because I don't live there currently, doesn't mean I don't have relatives there that (gasp!) take GreenLink regularly. So, I'm speaking up for them, too. Yes, the sorry state of GL from the RIDER'S perspective is talked about among the riders. So, again, just because I'm not there doesn't mean I don't have anything to add to this conversation.

Don't like my opinions? Skip over my posts or put me on ignore, and your problem is solved. Meanwhile, I have every right to speak my piece, and I don't need your approval or anybody else's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Location: Sandy Springs, GA. When did Greenville move to Atlanta? You're complaining about our local bus system and you don't even live here. Wow. Just wow.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:26 PM

197 posts, read 611,283 times
Does Greenlink run 7 days a week 24 hours? If not what days and times do they open and close?

Old 12-02-2009, 05:59 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
I don't have to cut GreenLink any slack, and I'm not. Sorry if I'm tarnishing your image of Greenville as the "most 'awesomest' and most 'perfectest' city on the planet". Oh wait, let me stop telling lies... I'm not sorry. Greenville isn't perfect, GreenLink sucks for the rider, and no amount of you wanting it to be perfect will make it so.

I am from Greenville, and my roots for the area stretch back into the 1700s before dead ending. I said that to say that I'm vested in Greenville, whether or not I live there or 2 hours away, as I do now. So, don't tell me what I can or can't complain about. I paid to ride; and my taxes, and those of my family, went into GTA and go into GreenLink. I can gripe as much as I want.

When GreenLink shows real, tangible improvement from the RIDER'S perspective, I will give them their just due. I'm not being critical for kicks! The other side has to be represented. Too bad, so sad for anyone who doesn't like it.
Not at all - just asking you to be realistic. Greenlink is run by the city of Greenville, which is quite small, population and land area-wise. They only have the resources of such a city, not of a much larger city, which is what you seem to think.

Now, maybe someday, if we get a regional transit system that's not dependent on a single municipality, it can become what you seem to want. But until then, I think they're making wise changes and do have plans for prudent expansion; it's unrealistic and counter-productive to believe otherwise.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Notice on the thread about the Reedy River development that is starting in downtown early 2010.....if you have not done so already click the link and read the plan....notice where the money is coming from to complete the Reedy project? What is being discussed here is Greenvilles priority and unfortunately because downtown is the city's (cash cow) tourist attraction they spend money on that first....the projects in areas outside of downtown take a backseat, they drag their feet getting things done in the poor areas. It's business.....the transplants that are moving to Greenville have more money then the natives and they spend their money downtown so keeping everything pretty for the newcomers is important. I was a transplant who lived there for a few years and know what I have seen with my own eyes!

If anyone knows how mass transit should operate it is me.....as an EXAMPLE I grew up here in a city with over 8 million people and a mass transit system that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A car is optional here, the vast majority ride with NYC Transit and that is the reason that this transit system is the most extensive system in the world.......so please when I say that Greenlink does not care about a service that transports the poor and is not a necessity for most in Greenville because they have cars I know what I am talking about!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingdawg View Post
Does Greenlink run 7 days a week 24 hours? If not what days and times do they open and close?
Only in your dreams.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Notice on the thread about the Reedy River development that is starting in downtown early 2010.....if you have not done so already click the link and read the plan....notice where the money is coming from to complete the Reedy project? What is being discussed here is Greenvilles priority and unfortunately because downtown is the city's (cash cow) tourist attraction they spend money on that first....the projects in areas outside of downtown take a backseat, they drag their feet getting things done in the poor areas. It's business.....the transplants that are moving to Greenville have more money then the natives and they spend their money downtown so keeping everything pretty for the newcomers is important. I was a transplant who lived there for a few years and know what I have seen with my own eyes!

If anyone knows how mass transit should operate it is me.....as an EXAMPLE I grew up here in a city with over 8 million people and a mass transit system that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A car is optional here, the vast majority ride with NYC Transit and that is the reason that this transit system is the most extensive system in the world.......so please when I say that Greenlink does not care about a service that transports the poor and is not a necessity for most in Greenville because they have cars I know what I am talking about!
The Reedy project is not a done deal and doesn't even have funding yet. Of course the areas outside of downtown take a backseat. Downtown is more important. Duh.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:29 AM

197 posts, read 611,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Only in your dreams.
So they obviously do not run 24 hrs but Do they have any kind of special Sunday service and holiday service at all? Also do professionals and businessmen use Greenlink or is it primarily low income and the poor?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
So they obviously do not run 24 hrs but Do they have any kind of special Sunday service and holiday service at all? Also do professionals and businessmen use Greenlink or is it primarily low income and the poor?
Does anyone know if Greenlink has any rider demographics info on their website?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
The Greenlink bus service is primarily used by poor people who for one reason or another do not have a car. Eventhough I have a car and have never used the bus while living in Greenville I have spoken with those who ride the bus and I have watched the people who were standing at the bus stops and getting on/off the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area