Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Hi,

Just wondering if construction/building and houses are selling any better there now. I know it probably isnt back to 2004/2005 levels, but curious if it is picking up any at all?

Basically, what I do is buy really ugly houses for cheap, rehab them, and then re-sell them (for cheap) or rent them out to a family who needs affordable housing. An ideal scenario for me would be buying a house for $60-70k, putting in another $15-20k in renovations, and selling it in the low 100k's, or renting it our for $800/month or close, depending on how much money I put into it. I make a modest living, I do it because I love the work and freedom, I dont rip people off or anything like that.

My question is, would Greenville or Asheville be a better place for me (looking long-term here of course)?

I am a self proclaimed FL cracker, born in FL and raised in South FL and then small-town Central FL and also lived in Western NC. I live in FL currently, but it's kind of a mess down here right now, and to be honest, I have not liked what FL has turned into the last 7-10 yrs. I feel like I am in NY or NJ now, I dont even feel like I am in FL anymore. I am looking into places like G'ville and Asheville b/c they remind me of small town FL in a way, and I really miss that. I went to college in NC, and my wife went to college in G'ville. We both like it, arent out there to change anything about the area or anything of the sort. Trust me, if anyone knows how drastically things can change, it's the native Floridians.

So what do you guys think? How are things currently and do you see it picking up again? Better than Asheville?
From what I see in the subdivision that I live in here in Greenville...........there are several homes that have for sale signs in front of them. None of them have sold and they have been sitting anywhere from 4 months to over a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 01:05 PM

199 posts, read 493,088 times
I've noticed 4 homes sell in my neighborhood in the last month or so. However, I think about 5 or 6 additional homes went on the market. I don't check the paper to see what the homes for sale actually sold for, so I don't know how close to asking price they are getting.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:00 PM

552 posts, read 593,080 times
^^^How many houses are in your neighborhood?

Old 07-06-2009, 04:23 PM

Default a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientifical madness View Post
^^^how many houses are in your neighborhood?
400+

Old 07-06-2009, 04:56 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Man View Post
400+
You must live in Sugar Creek! That neighborhood goes on forever!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Mine is about 400 as well, here in Orlando.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
Mine is about 400 as well, here in Orlando.
And how many houses are for sale in your subdivision? Have you noticed any selling?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 AM

The subdivision isnt built out yet; 390 are to be built. I'd say we have about 250 now - so we are maybe 2/3 of the way. Suprisingly, their are some new starts with sold signs in front, not many are specs. But there are so many foreclosures that there is always a lot of houses for sale. It's like one new one is built and sold, and then two go up for sale, both of which are probably foreclosures/short sales. It's very frustrating, especially for my wife and I, both FL natives, our first house, we take such pride in it, and we have people that dont give a crap about their house. Many of these people are going into foreclosure/dont care/are moving back to NJ, so it's like they dont even care, it sucks.

I had to turn down a job offer in the Atlanta area, and we are trying to get to G'ville (we went to college up there and have family in the area) but we dont know what to do with our house. I guess we'll have to rent it out, but it seems like jobs in G'ville are hard to come by too - I work in Real estate development. I am sending my resume up there, but no real bites yet.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:02 AM

27 posts, read 105,999 times
i put my house in simpsonville on the market 06/16/09. we had 7 showings and 3 offers in 1 week. we sold for FULL asking price 1 week to the day after we put it on the market. there are about 12 houses on the market in our neighborhood(this seems to be a constant #) and the ones that are selling are the ones that are priced right. with a good, aggressive agent your house will sell. it's all about pricing it properly for the fair market value and not what you think the house is worth. the greenville market is alive and well!!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRedBull View Post
i put my house in simpsonville on the market 06/16/09. we had 7 showings and 3 offers in 1 week. we sold for FULL asking price 1 week to the day after we put it on the market. there are about 12 houses on the market in our neighborhood(this seems to be a constant #) and the ones that are selling are the ones that are priced right. with a good, aggressive agent your house will sell. it's all about pricing it properly for the fair market value and not what you think the house is worth. the greenville market is alive and well!!
That's amazing how fast your house sold. I sold a house in another market about a year ago. It sold in 3 days and I was ticked that I sold it too cheap. Did you have any of those feelings or were you just happy to be out? I don't know the stats on the Greenville area, perhaps local realtors could enlighten us more, but I think June saw a lot of home sales in the Greenville area. That's not to say that more didn't come on the market, but I saw more homes moving anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area