Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 01:25 PM

15 posts, read 23,699 times

Advertisements

My family is interracial and we have 2 kids. I am being transferred to this area, how progressive and accepting of interracial people is this city. I am white, my wife black. Also how are the schools. I appreciate all input .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 PM

6,904 posts, read 22,609,832 times
There are many racially mixed families here; you'll be fine.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:06 PM

262 posts, read 827,142 times
My hubby works with a man whose wife is white. They have no troubles at all. The kids are very accepted.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the info.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:34 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,488,530 times
I agree with everyone else. Greenville is very welcoming and accepting. You will love it.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:47 PM

11,717 posts, read 24,921,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I agree with everyone else. Greenville is very welcoming and accepting. You will love it.
You are?

Old 06-17-2009, 12:00 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,734,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4BigRu View Post
My family is interracial and we have 2 kids. I am being transferred to this area, how progressive and accepting of interracial people is this city. I am white, my wife black. Also how are the schools. I appreciate all input .
My wife and I are a bi-racial couple, there's another one in our development and a few at out church. You'll be shocked at how much of a non issue it is here. A lot of people have this stereotypical misconception of the "south" as if it were still 40 years ago. I can tell you from 1st hand experience, it's not a problem here at all. You will be shocked by how green it is here coming from Vegas though; we moved here from Los Angeles and whenever my wife's family comes to visit, they always comment on how green everything is.

Vegas sucks, you'll love it here.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,634 times
If you move in the Greenville area you will feel more comfortable. I am bi-racial & my husband is caucasian. I am from a northern city and we lived in the Washington DC area for several years. We lived in Spartanburg for 4 years and I found it like going back in time...like the 1960's. Spartanburg is a close knit community that takes time to break into but once the in's and out's are figured out all is well. The vibe in Greenville is different, it's definitely more progressive for all people regardless of color. There's more to do in the Greenville area as well. I think with time your family will adjust well and feel at home in the South.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:17 PM

6,904 posts, read 22,609,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolkey View Post
We lived in Spartanburg for 4 years and I found it like going back in time...like the 1960's. Spartanburg is a close knit community that takes time to break into but once the in's and out's are figured out all is well. The vibe in Greenville is different, it's definitely more progressive for all people regardless of color.
That was what we were thinking when we came to Greenville instead of Boiling Springs where we had been concentrating our move. I am glad we made that change because I don't think we would have felt comfortable in Spartanburg. There are so many from the north here and that makes it easy to fit in. You have something in common with many Greenville residents.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:54 PM

Thanks guys. If it happens I am looking forward to the green. I lived in N.C. when I was in the Army(Ft. Bragg) in the early 90s. I loved the weather and the scenery, I am tired of this desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area