Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:46 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,547,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
And the reality that has been created has an unadjusted unemployment rate of at least 11%. The median household income in the United States is roughly $50,000. Your friends aren't even close to being average Americans, much less South Carolinians, who make much less on average. Greenville is a wonderful area, but wages and professional job opportunities are very lacking - Now more-so in a long time. Heck, I know people that are leaving the country, not just the Upstate for a job.

I know I'm editorializing here, it really wasn't that long ago that North Carolina was a much poorer place than SC. They've managed to build a very diversified statewide economy, while the SC leadership has for decades decided that being a cheap labor source for European manufacturers was the way to go. But, if you're well-off and retired, this is inconsequential.
You are absolutely on point........Greenville is a wonderful city but trying to portray it as a place with a reputation for offering most of it's residents good paying jobs is ridiculous. The cheap labor force here is one of the major reasons that these company's decided to locate here in the first place. I have said it many times......when many people (not all) think about SC they think about southern hospitalty and good food.....those are the things that SC has a reputation for not diverse job opportunities. If diverse opportunities existed here for sure the cost of living would not be this cheap.......because there would be an even bigger demand to live here. The way things stand right now the people who are relocating here fall into 2 categories.........category 1 - those that have already secured a job here and now have a job already waiting for them and therefore feel safe to relocate here or category 2 - those that are retired and looking for a place that offers low cost living to relocate to.

Many times when I have told people that are living in other states how much better the quality of life is here.......the first argument that comes out of their mouths is that they will not move here until they retire because they refuse to give up a good paying job and end up here in SC either taking a huge pay cut or worse, out of work and job opportunities scarce!

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area