Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:00 PM

347 posts, read 981,142 times

Advertisements

Hi there! Let me say first: I have a lot of respect for various religions, and I appreciate the good intentions of people who think they can make my life better by seeing things from their perspective.

Since moving to Greenville/Taylors, I have had several people that I don't know come to my door to talk about the joys of reading the bible. I personally do not find pleasure or comfort in talking about the bible with strangers.

I have said "No thank you", "Thank you so much for your time, but I'm not interested", "I'm Jewish", "Sorry", and have tried a few other approaches.
I also have a "No Soliciting" sign clearly posted on my house next to my door, but when I politely bring their attention to it, they say "Oh, we saw it, but we're not solicitors because we're not trying to take your money".

So, I ask my fellow Greenvillians, what is the polite and proper way to turn away these uninvited guests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 09:04 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,816,884 times
I'm blind so I can't read the bible.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:19 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,473,844 times
When you say "Thank you for your time, but I'm not interested," close the door. Surely they will get the message.

Or just don't answer the door in the first place.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:33 PM

642 posts, read 2,090,173 times
Just don't answer the door

Old 12-02-2009, 04:10 AM

41 posts, read 144,859 times
I've always said, "I already go to such-and-such church, and am happy there. Thank-you for stopping by, and have a blessed day." Then close the door. Or answer the door naked.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:26 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,971,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleEllyn View Post
Hi there! Let me say first: I have a lot of respect for various religions, and I appreciate the good intentions of people who think they can make my life better by seeing things from their perspective.

Since moving to Greenville/Taylors, I have had several people that I don't know come to my door to talk about the joys of reading the bible. I personally do not find pleasure or comfort in talking about the bible with strangers.

I have said "No thank you", "Thank you so much for your time, but I'm not interested", "I'm Jewish", "Sorry", and have tried a few other approaches.
I also have a "No Soliciting" sign clearly posted on my house next to my door, but when I politely bring their attention to it, they say "Oh, we saw it, but we're not solicitors because we're not trying to take your money".

So, I ask my fellow Greenvillians, what is the polite and proper way to turn away these uninvited guests?
Do you really get that many people coming to your door? I haven't had anyone come to mine and I have lived here a year as of yesterday. I had more denomination representatives come to my door in Michigan that here. Anyway, I disagree with the don't answer the door idea. Mostly because I work on a Fed. govt. survey where I have to knock on doors and I am sick of people assuming I am a Jehovah's Witness or something! Sometimes they answer the door after the third time I am there. <sigh> Oh, and I ignore the no solicitors sign too, as I am not soliciting for your business.

I really think all you can do is politely say something along of the lines of thank you for caring about me, but when it comes to me and God, we're good.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:50 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,550,565 times
Know someone in Greenville who is starting soon with the census bureau going door to door doing the survey for the 2010 US census (census bureau). As annoying as people ringing the doorbell soliciting is......not a good idea to ignore the bell. Could be the census!

If it is not the census conducting a survey then you know what to do!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:02 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,816,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Run outside naked screaming USA?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:09 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,971,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Know someone in Greenville who is starting soon with the census bureau going door to door doing the survey for the 2010 US census (census bureau). As annoying as people ringing the doorbell soliciting is......not a good idea to ignore the bell. Could be the census!

For those who don't know, and there are no doubt a surprising number of people who don't, the 2010 Census begins on April 1.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 AM

347 posts, read 981,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Do you really get that many people coming to your door?...
Yes, I really do get that many people coming to my door
And I never see them knock on my neighbor's doors either.
Am I being targeted or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area