Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times

Advertisements

I do love eating at krystal every now and then around here. They should try one out in Anderson. My parents love it but haven't been to one in years since the closest one is in Greenville.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Kind of a tangent here, but I thought Nashville had a few White Castles(?)
Yes, they do! I ate at one of them when we moved here in 2003. I can't imagine them having to close any of them up! Frozen just isn't the same!

Old 10-10-2012, 01:46 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Krystal and White Castle may overlap in Nashville, not sure. But I do believe the nearest White Castles to Greenville are in Kentucky, in towns along I-75 where they overlap with Krystal. Also in that area you will begin to find Frisch's Big Boy, which are very good. They top their burgers with tartar sauce rather than 1000 island. Would like to see them come to Greenville, but they do not have the rights for Big Boy in this area. Would have to be the national Big Boy chain out of Michigan, which is a bit more like the old Shoney's and does use the 1000 island. Would like to see Big Boy make a comeback in the Southeast, since most Shoney's are closing.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 AM

367 posts, read 585,011 times
The Nashville metro area has both White Castle and Krystals.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Would like to see them come to Greenville, but they do not have the rights for Big Boy in this area. Would have to be the national Big Boy chain out of Michigan, which is a bit more like the old Shoney's and does use the 1000 island. Would like to see Big Boy make a comeback in the Southeast, since most Shoney's are closing.
I miss Shoney's. At one time, it had good food and great service. When Shoney's started closing multiple successful locations in the area, experimented with all-day breakfast buffets and charged a little too much for smaller portions, they doomed themselves quickly.

Shoney's in Greenville were: North Pleasanburg Drive (SC-291) across from Bob Jones University, Laurens Road (US-276) at Duvall Drive, Orchard Park Drive, White Horse Road (US-25) near I-85. Greer had one at East Wade Hampton Boulevard (US-29) at North Main Street (SC-14).

One Shoney's remains in the upstate area, Greenwood. In western North Carolina, you can find Shoney's in Asheville, Clyde and Franklin.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM

I liked Shoney's best back when they were a Big Boy franchise, with the iconic statue out front. They were never quite the same ever since, and have been truly declining in the last 10 years. They used to have a major presence in the Southeast. The other remaining Big Boy franchises seem to be doing better, with Big Boy in Michigan, Bob's Big Boy in California, and Frisch's Big Boy in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indianna. I just wish they would reopen a Big Boy franchise here. I enjoy the breakfast bar, Big Boy burger, and hot fudge cake.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:00 AM

There is also still a Shoney's in Lavonia, Ga. And one or two in Charlotte. And I fondly remember eating at the Pleasantburg Shoney's in Greenville back when I was a student at Furman University. Would often go for the late night breakfast bar on Friday or Saturday nights. And interestingly we would often see Christian TV hosts Jimmy and Joanne Thompson there, who had just finished their night time broadcast on Channel 16. And I remember one time they were accompanied by none other than Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker. And you would have thought some Hollywood movie stars had just entered the establishment, as they were fondly recognized by an adoring crowd of diners. They signed autographs, and Tammy Faye went and prayed with some folks at a table.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
There is also still a Shoney's in Lavonia, Ga. And one or two in Charlotte. And I fondly remember eating at the Pleasantburg Shoney's in Greenville back when I was a student at Furman University. Would often go for the late night breakfast bar on Friday or Saturday nights. And interestingly we would often see Christian TV hosts Jimmy and Joanne Thompson there, who had just finished their night time broadcast on Channel 16. And I remember one time they were accompanied by none other than Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker. And you would have thought some Hollywood movie stars had just entered the establishment, as they were fondly recognized by an adoring crowd of diners. They signed autographs, and Tammy Faye went and prayed with some folks at a table.
Whatever happened to that chain? They had such a resurgence in the 80's and 90's (funny advertising too), but just started closing up shop. I NEVER saw a Shoney's that was hurting for business anywhere.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Shoney's may have made poor business decisions which resulted in the closure of numerous popular and successful locations. When your business starts disappearing from the areas you serve, your patrons will go elsewhere.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,376,936 times
Rick Erwin is planning to open a new restaurant currently called "Rick's Deli & Market" in the new RiverWalk at RiverPlace on Camperdown Way. He refers to the concept as "a real high-end, neat New York deli."

Restaurant scene grows in downtown Greenville - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area