Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 05:00 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
If you do you're a bigger idiot than I thought!
You haven't addressed the logic/question.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 05:10 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistajane View Post
Excellent post! And yes, I'm quite sure that if I do get laid off I will NOT qualify for a factory job or manufacturing job that supposedly is coming to Gville, maybe in the next few years!

Poeple need to get real on this forum. Any other forum you go to the TRUTH is posted and posters don't bash others for it. Why can't we all be truthful here and STOP with the BS and the sugar coating of Gville? I'd feel really bad if I kept posting about how good it is here and had families move, only to be laid off soon! Let's keep it real..............
Unfortunately there is a group of very childish people in the Greenville forum that do their best to stop people from telling the complete truth about the area. Like you said people on here need to keep it real....the cover up has become sickening!

Old 05-19-2010, 05:15 PM

98 posts, read 368,864 times
Greetings all,

My wife and I are RN's (I am a paramedic as well) and are considering a move to Greenville area in the next year or so. I have read about the hospital layoffs. Do any of you know if the layoffs included RN positions or is that position fairly stable? Thanks

Scott

Old 05-19-2010, 05:17 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Unfortunately there is a group of very childish people in the Greenville forum that do their best to stop people from telling the complete truth about the area. Like you said people on here need to keep it real....the cover up has become sickening!
Hey, you just described yourself.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:41 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Hey, you just described yourself.
Thanks for proving my point about childish behavior! Knew you would be the first one to walk right into that one.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:37 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott26 View Post
Greetings all,

My wife and I are RN's (I am a paramedic as well) and are considering a move to Greenville area in the next year or so. I have read about the hospital layoffs. Do any of you know if the layoffs included RN positions or is that position fairly stable? Thanks

Scott
All I can say is that the story mentioned most positions involved would be "support" positions & medical departments that had seen a drop in patients, and that patient care would not be affected.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 AM

156 posts, read 332,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
So just because YOU lost your job means the rest of us have to be negative about the local economy even though we still have our jobs? Wow. Guess that means if you jump off a bridge, I have to also right?
No, it means quit painting this Norman Rockwell picture of Gville on this forum when in reality Gville is NOT like that.
Yes, we DO have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation, and YES there are jobs "coming" to Gville, but plants have to be built before any of that happens, we're talking a year or longer before these jobs are actually in existence! And YES the biggest employer in Gville IS having major layoffs which will mean ALOT for Gville and its economy depending on how many are laid off. And YES, it is the medical field thst is laying off - people are under the impression that the health field is immune - its NOT. And YES we do have lots of crime for an area our size, thats coming from statistics. And YES Falls Park is gorgeous but the downtown area is about 2 blocks long, looks much bigger from pics.
Lets get real on this forum.....

Old 05-20-2010, 08:33 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Quote:
...Yes, we DO have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation, and YES there are jobs "coming" to Gville, but plants have to be built before any of that happens, we're talking a year or longer before these jobs are actually in existence! And YES the biggest employer in Gville IS having major layoffs which will mean ALOT for Gville and its economy depending on how many are laid off. And YES, it is the medical field thst is laying off - people are under the impression that the health field is immune - its NOT. And YES we do have lots of crime for an area our size, thats coming from statistics. And YES Falls Park is gorgeous but the downtown area is about 2 blocks long, looks much bigger from pics.
I can understand everything above with the exception of the last portion, which is simply not true. Downtown is not large, as has been mentioned many times on this forum, and which can easily be discovered by viewing a map... duh. While it is not large in size, it is definitely much larger than "about 2 blocks long", as you have incorrectly stated. Such a comment leaves doubt in my mind regarding your familiarity with the subject, or at least your willingness to "keep it real" in every aspect.

The map I linked above clearly shows that McBee Station is more than two blocks from Main Street, as is Heritage Green on the opposite side. The BI-LO Center is equally as far from Main Street as McBee Station. From the North Main Street and Stone Avenue intersection (Horizon Records and The Bohemian Cafe) down to the South Main Street and Markley Street intersection (Fluor Field at the West End, not shown on the map), you pass approximately 15 blocks.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,912 times
Quote:
No, it means quit painting this Norman Rockwell picture of Gville on this forum when in reality Gville is NOT like that.
Yes, we DO have one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation, and YES there are jobs "coming" to Gville, but plants have to be built before any of that happens, we're talking a year or longer before these jobs are actually in existence! And YES the biggest employer in Gville IS having major layoffs which will mean ALOT for Gville and its economy depending on how many are laid off. And YES, it is the medical field thst is laying off - people are under the impression that the health field is immune - its NOT. And YES we do have lots of crime for an area our size, thats coming from statistics. And YES Falls Park is gorgeous but the downtown area is about 2 blocks long, looks much bigger from pics.
why does getting real mean being negative?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:31 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott26 View Post
Greetings all,

Scott
Hi Scot,
The layoffs announced were only 50 out of an employment base of over 10,000 at GHS. The 50 people being let go were not in the patient care areas, but in support functions.

RN positions should be fairly stable.

In addition to GHS, the other main hospital, St.Francis, has an additional campus planned that has started construction with the first outpatient building, so a good deal of new medical employment will be coming online with that campus.

Greenville has also scored some very large retirement villages in the last couple of years, one being The Cascades, which employ RN positions. With the amount of retirees moving to Greenville due to the beauty of the area and 4 season climate, seems RN's will continue to be in demand.

If you haven't been to Greenville before, many who visit describe the beauty of the area as a Norman Rockwell painting. Quite the compliment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area