Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:15 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,577,808 times

Advertisements

I started having dreams about my husband about six months after he died. The first one was startling because I was talking to him and asking him questions about his death. In my dream, I had driven to his office, only it was different. It was now in a glass and stainless steel building instead of a log cabin in the country. He had an office that was a tiny cubicle with just a black metal desk, a phone and a chair. He ushered me in, and I sat in the "client" chair facing him at the desk. I commented on how stark and barren the office was compared to his old one, and he said he had to work his way up. (?) I asked him if he knew he was dead, and he said yes. I then said I was glad he didn't have a heart attack, and he replied, "But I did." I was stunned, and then asked if it hurt, and he said "Not really." I asked what his last thought was and he said, "Love you." I laughed and told him I thought it would have been, "Oh, s***!" and he said, it should have been, and he laughed. Then the dream was over. When I woke in the morning, I immediately wrote the whole dream down, and have for each one since then.

There have been about ten more dreams, and in each one, we're younger, in our thirties, maybe. We have the kids, but they're the age they were in our thirties. The dreams are really warm and tender, but we've never "talked" like we did in that first dream. I do get whiffs of him and I hear his voice say something once and a while.

These kinds of things happened after my mom died, and before that, when my grandfather died. My grandfather was especially present for the first couple of years after my first child was born even though he died nine years earlier. With my mom, the room would get really cold. Even in summer, it would be like someone had left the freezer door open for a minute. Then it would warm up. I knew it was her. I don't know how, but I did. On the other hand, I never had those experiences when my dad died, yet we were incredibly close. Go figure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 01:52 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
Oh Marcy! That is an incredible story of your hubby! I have no doubts that our loved ones can speak to us while we are asleep. Our minds are totally at rest with no outside interferences to distract it.

I'm sorry to hear of your little sis' death so young. I'm also so glad she came to you to comfort you. Glad Momma had some and apologized for not believeing you so many years ago.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:10 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
The only dream I remember having about my husband since he died was one where I couldn't find him. That was most upsetting.

He did visit me, though, in the middle of the night a few hours after he died; I felt a finger in my palm and gave it a squeeze, and then it was gone. I have no doubt he's around, but I keep telling him that as much as I love him, I'm not ready to join him just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Not certain why but pennies are known to represent "signs" from our beloved deceased.
If so, my wallet is full of 'em! LOL

Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,577,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Not certain why but pennies are known to represent "signs" from our beloved deceased.
That's funny. My husband HATED pennies. He would refuse to carry them, and when he had them, he'd put them in a 3 lb coffee can. When I cleaned out the house to sell it, there were about 8 cans full or partially full of pennies on his workbench in the garage going back about 10 years. I took them to CoinStar gradually over about 3 months and I think I made about $20.00 after all that. Now, I'm collecting pennies and putting them in a coffee can. It's about 1/8 full. I will think twice the next time I find a penny.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 AM

769 posts, read 1,007,712 times
Wow, so many amazing stories here from everyone. I, too, believe in signs and visits from our departed loved ones. I'm 20, so I've not been married yet, but I will tell you all a story that I remember from when I was younger (about 10 years old) and my grandfather had passed away. Every night after we had his wake, I would go to bed fine, and at some point in the night wake up in a cold sweat and gasping for air. The thing is I would never remember what I was dreaming about, but for some reason, I would always have a sense or feeling, if you will, that somehow, it had to do with my grandfather (even though I really had no reason to believe this to be the case at all). Anyhow, the first night, I just thought it was something weird and didn't make anything of it. The second night, I got more suspicious but just thought that maybe it was some strange coincidence that it had happened two nights in a row. After the third night, however, I knew something had to be up. After about a week, I was driving alone with my dad (it was his father who had passed), and I just (very nervously) brought it up to him that I had been having these experiences for about a week (I had not told anyone previously) and he told me that he thought that maybe it was "grandpa" trying to send me a sign that he was okay and not to worry about him. I remember thinking, "Well that's one hell of a way to send a sign that you're okay; by waking me up in a state of panic, confusion, and fear" lol. But it turns out, after that, I never had another one of those experiences again and I just felt very at peace regarding my grandfather. Thus, I just took that as another sign that my dad was right and that my grandfather was just trying to tell me that things were okay, even if I thought it was kind of a strange way (sorry grandpa ).

A lot of people would think I'm "nuts" for believing in stuff like this, but I honestly, 100% do. I believe in God and I do think that there is so much that we just simply don't know and understand. I think that our loved ones never truly leave us and that they're always there to watch out for us and stick by our sides when we need them. Some people ask me how I can believe "all that stuff" and I simply respond, "how can I not?". I know the experiences that I, and others (such as you lovely people), have had and I just can't discredit them. I just don't believe that you die and then that's just it.

Anyways, thanks for reading my post and also, thanks again for sharing your stories here. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through them all.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:13 PM

971 posts, read 1,454,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Wow, so many amazing stories here from everyone. I, too, believe in signs and visits from our departed loved ones. I'm 20, so I've not been married yet, but I will tell you all a story that I remember from when I was younger (about 10 years old) and my grandfather had passed away. Every night after we had his wake, I would go to bed fine, and at some point in the night wake up in a cold sweat and gasping for air. The thing is I would never remember what I was dreaming about, but for some reason, I would always have a sense or feeling, if you will, that somehow, it had to do with my grandfather (even though I really had no reason to believe this to be the case at all). Anyhow, the first night, I just thought it was something weird and didn't make anything of it. The second night, I got more suspicious but just thought that maybe it was some strange coincidence that it had happened two nights in a row. After the third night, however, I knew something had to be up. After about a week, I was driving alone with my dad (it was his father who had passed), and I just (very nervously) brought it up to him that I had been having these experiences for about a week (I had not told anyone previously) and he told me that he thought that maybe it was "grandpa" trying to send me a sign that he was okay and not to worry about him. I remember thinking, "Well that's one hell of a way to send a sign that you're okay; by waking me up in a state of panic, confusion, and fear" lol. But it turns out, after that, I never had another one of those experiences again and I just felt very at peace regarding my grandfather. Thus, I just took that as another sign that my dad was right and that my grandfather was just trying to tell me that things were okay, even if I thought it was kind of a strange way (sorry grandpa ).

A lot of people would think I'm "nuts" for believing in stuff like this, but I honestly, 100% do. I believe in God and I do think that there is so much that we just simply don't know and understand. I think that our loved ones never truly leave us and that they're always there to watch out for us and stick by our sides when we need them. Some people ask me how I can believe "all that stuff" and I simply respond, "how can I not?". I know the experiences that I, and others (such as you lovely people), have had and I just can't discredit them. I just don't believe that you die and then that's just it.

Anyways, thanks for reading my post and also, thanks again for sharing your stories here. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through them all.
I enjoyed your post citylover9. I am probably more skeptive than most posters on these threads but I believe as you do and share your same feelings.(and I am closer to 80 than 75 years old)

After 4 1/2 years of wife's passing, I still seem to catch a glimse or hear a sound that reminds me of her which causes me to look up from what I am doing.

My story begins as my son and I was sending thank you notes to the funeral condolences and attendee's about a week after the funeral. The doorbell rang and a fellow introduced himself and said he was there to buy my business. I had priced it and spoken with several people over the past 15 years. He made his offer and I thought about it for about 5 minutes and said, "Let's do it". Knowing fully that everybody says don't make any hasty decisions for about a year after going through the ending of a 53 1/2 year marriage. I took the sale offer as a sign that my wife was still helping me as her 13 1/2 year cancer treatments had reduced our funds to the point that I wasn't able to make all the payments and still have a house to live in. So I am now retired and living on my small teacher retirement monthly check all because my "lovely" helped me when I needed it. I never felt that way with the passing of any other of my kin and wondered why?

Old 11-04-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
That's funny. My husband HATED pennies. He would refuse to carry them, and when he had them, he'd put them in a 3 lb coffee can. When I cleaned out the house to sell it, there were about 8 cans full or partially full of pennies on his workbench in the garage going back about 10 years. I took them to CoinStar gradually over about 3 months and I think I made about $20.00 after all that. Now, I'm collecting pennies and putting them in a coffee can. It's about 1/8 full. I will think twice the next time I find a penny.
My grandmother raised me for the first three school years so I have a lot of "old timers" sayings and knowledge. I was taught, "A penny saved was a penny earned", so I liked and always picked up pennies. Another one was, "Take care of your pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves". LOL

Old 11-04-2012, 05:12 PM

379 posts, read 534,174 times
I have read with some "envy" of all the accounts of being visited by your loved one in dreams. I have not had that occur yet. I have heard a song that evoked memories, saw a pickup exactly like his today, but nothing yet in my dreams. Maybe someday.....

In another previous post, I had asked for thoughts on keeping my telephone with his answering machine message. I listened to it, one day while I was trying to figure out why the phone wasn't working, and was really shaken up by hearing that voice of his. It brought back a flood of emotions. It was suggested by someone that I put the phone in the closet, and if I wanted to hear it again someday, take it out and hear his voice again. That's what I decided to do.

I bought another phone to replace the first one. Before I disconnected it, I wanted to hear his voice one more time. I had done nothing to the phone since I first heard the message. I decided to listen to it before putting it in the closet. The message was gone....just gone! I had not changed anything, the message was just gone. I panicked that I had lost his voice forever. (I do still have his cellphone with the recording on it). I will still keep that phone....I don't know why....but maybe someday....who knows.

So, now I firmly believe that hearing that message was a sign from Jim. A sign to let me know that he is still here with me. Finally, a sign. I am so grateful.

I got a new phone and recorded the exact same message that he had left....only, of course, in my voice. I'm sure he would approve.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
That's spooky, tn.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 PM

I was the other way tngirl, I about came unglued the first time I heard my wife's message. I unpluged the machine and haven't touched it since. Different strokes for different folks. Probably need to take the batteries out before they corrode.

Glad to see you faired the storm friend Tami!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning