Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times

Advertisements

No. People suffer before they die. It's a part of life that must be embraced. If one truly embraces all what death brings then you may perhaps be able to appreciate life.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm a nurse. People rarely die peacefully.
I watched my sister die as she was gasping for breath from a pulmonary embolism. It was not peaceful. She fought to the very end.

I work as a CNA. I have seen any people who were peacefully asleep or unconscious from pain meds while death took them as well.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:10 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
My mom passed peacefully in her sleep back in '92. That's the way to go!

Old 03-24-2013, 05:31 AM

43 posts, read 100,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I watched my sister die as she was gasping for breath from a pulmonary embolism. It was not peaceful. She fought to the very end.

I work as a CNA. I have seen any people who were peacefully asleep or unconscious from pain meds while death took them as well.
I am sorry to hear about your sister's death. :-(
May she R.I.P

Old 03-24-2013, 05:36 AM

43 posts, read 100,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
This is true. most dying patients are given enough pain killers to ease the body. Thus, they are "peaceful" Even those that arent given anything will lapse into an unconscious state for a short while before they truly die.

It would be unusual for a person to die, screaming and fighting. It may work that way for some, but for most, those last few minutes or hours, will be quiet and motionless. You can call it peaceful if you want to.
I doubt anyone will have the ability to sream..but fighting yes.

Maby the only people who might scream is people who is murdered or something like that.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:38 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm a nurse. People rarely die peacefully.
Pretty much....this has been my experience as well. Ready or not death comes when it comes.

The terminally ill weakened from the disease process usually do not scream as death approaches but you can tell who is ready to go and who is not. The ones who fight are always restless and agitated...rarely get relief from anything except the strongest narcotics and sometimes you feel like your giving them doses that are strong enough to put an elephant to sleep but they have no relief. Those are the ones who have not made peace with death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperC View Post
I doubt anyone will have the ability to sream..but fighting yes.

Maby the only people who might scream is people who is murdered or something like that.
Yes some people do die screaming it really depends on what they are dying from. I have witnessed people dying from PE and massive heart attacks...these are traumatic sudden deaths and rarely do they go quietly. Liver failure and COPD deaths are also usually extremely unpleasant ways to go.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
This is true. most dying patients are given enough pain killers to ease the body. Thus, they are "peaceful" Even those that arent given anything will lapse into an unconscious state for a short while before they truly die.

It would be unusual for a person to die, screaming and fighting. It may work that way for some, but for most, those last few minutes or hours, will be quiet and motionless. You can call it peaceful if you want to.
I worked with terminally ill people over a period of years, and was sometimes there with them when they died. And I have been with friends and relatives when they died. What was said above reflects much of my experience.

Almost everyone I can think of had a fairly long and painful period of decline. But the closer their lives came to an end, the greater the differences. Some went into a coma and never moved after that, some were conscious and quiet at the end and drifted rather rapidly into death, and only a couple were terribly disturbed and restless, clearly struggling against pain and death.

A surprising number of people were accepting of death after a certain point in their decline, and were essentially waiting for things to be over. And a number regretted that their families were in totally unable to deal with death, and they made it virtually impossible for these people to talk about dying with their families. I ended up listening to them, and it was what their families should have been doing. Very sad that at the end of your life you are left to share the summing up with a stranger.

An acquaintance of mine who had had a stroke died recently. He died about two or three weeks after the stroke.. a bit more, I guess, with his wife sitting at his bedside, holding his hand. He was very weak, but not wacked out on painkillers. He was quite aware that he was about to die, and he had looked forward to it for weeks. He and his wife were able to exchange some words a few times, mostly he simply looked at her and smiled. And then he was dead.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
A surprising number of people were accepting of death after a certain point in their decline, and were essentially waiting for things to be over. And a number regretted that their families were in totally unable to deal with death, and they made it virtually impossible for these people to talk about dying with their families. I ended up listening to them, and it was what their families should have been doing. Very sad that at the end of your life you are left to share the summing up with a stranger.
My Mom was the opposite -- she would not talk about her situation with anyone, not even my Dad. Even to the point of figuring out her treatment. Here she was, a perfectly healthy 63 yo, and 6 months later she was gone! I sometimes think that she would have suffered less if she hadn't done all the radiation/chemo for what was an inevitable outcome. WE knew she was going to die (and talked about it with each other), but I don't think she ever accepted it. She was one of the ones that was on massive pain killers, and finally went into a coma. I'm always in awe of people who were talking with their loved ones up until the end. With Mom, either from cancer or meds, coherent conversations were pretty much impossible the last month or so.

I'd rather go like one of my distant relatives. In her 80s, walked home from church (after singing in the choir), died of a massive heart attack in her kitchen. I'm sure it was painful, but it couldn't have lasted long. I'd rather have that than months or years of a slow, painful decline.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
No they don't however if they die suddenly like say in a wreck they usually don't see it coming. So they are dead before any real pain sets in, the brain takes a longer time to process things

Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,213 times
I happened upon this thread and it made me think of MIL's passing. It was not peaceful. My wife was there and it hurt her greatly that she couldn't do more to relieve her mother's suffering. Then in the following days people helped twist the knife in her heart by asking, "Did she go peacefully?". Did they really want to hear the truth? Of course not. All my wife could do was offer a meek "Well, she isn't suffering any more" or the like while thinking about her mother clutching her chest and struggling to breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.