Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:06 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Yes, it is my most vivid, most profound childhood memory. I remember every detail. It has shaped my philosophy on life and convinced me of an afterlife.

My father passed away after a long illness when I was 7. About a week after his death, I was awakened in the middle of the night. In my initial groggy state, I knew someone was there, but I was not afraid. I sat up in bed. There was a bright light coming out of the west bedroom wall. I felt there was a figure in the light, but I couldn't make it out. I remember becoming alert and asking "Who are you?" in my mind (I did not speak anything aloud). I was initially confused, but not afraid.

I remember squinting into the light (though it didn't hurt my eyes) wondering for a few seconds if it was Jesus, Mary, or God (I was Catholic)... Then I was no longer confused, I knew it was my father - he made it known to me without a word. I felt his love and warmth and knew he was close.

No words were ever spoken but I begged for him to stay with me and he responded, in my head, that he couldn't. I asked if I could go with him. He said I could not. I asked if I would ever see him again. He said yes, but it would be a very long time. I felt then he was leaving me and I started crying as the light receded back into the wall until it was gone.

I immediately jumped up and turned on the room light. I went to the wall and touched it, trying to figure out where the light had gone. I looked around my room but knew he was gone. I was crying because I missed him, but I also felt a sense of peace and reassurance. I remember I did not want to leave my room to tell my mom in case he decided to come back. I was hoping he would come back.

The next morning, I woke up and went to the breakfast table. My mom, paternal grandmother, and baby (1 y.o.) sister were there. I told my family the story about my dad visiting me. Both my mom and grandma informed me that he had also visited them the night before - they were certain of it and we all started crying. I told them I think he probably visited my sister also, but she couldn't talk to tell us about it. For years, I'd ask her if she remembered anything.

For over 30 years, I have replayed every detail of this event in my mind - and I remember every detail and feeling I had. I have never had an experience or even a dream like that before, or ever since. I am a very rational person. I wouldn't believe this story if someone else told it to me - but I know I experienced it.

What does it mean? Could it have possibly been a dream? No, it was real and vivid, different from a dream. I was awake when it happened - I got up and turned on the light and touched the wall. And how to explain my other family members having similar experiences that night?

And why is it so similar to other people's published experiences with the bright light? At 7, I knew nothing about these type of stories- how could I just make that all up in my young mind? No other explanation makes sense to me, except to accept that my father visited me - to have faith. I feel when I see him again, he will ask me how I could ever even question the validity of the experience.
I wouldn't question your experience....it is human nature to do so....b/c society seems to frown on anything that cannot be explained....me, I'm not a follower and don't care about the trends and beliefs of society....

This happened to you, for whatever reason....believe it and when you think of it, cherish it for what it is...
I think loved ones stay around b/c we hurt so much and cannot let them go, which isn't fair...and I think sometimes we do it unknowingly....sometimes, they want to stay and wait for us, and others go on, after saying they're good-bys for whatever time it takes.

Not so long ago, and this is no lie....I woke up feeling someone kissing me on the cheek....actually, that is what woke me up....I thought I was nuts...b/c no one was in my room...and thought that mom had moved on. She and I were very close....she was my savior....but, this just happened oh, maybe a month or two ago...

So? Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:14 AM

thought I had posted this, but I guess not?

when my mom passed away, right afterwards, my sisters and I every Sunday, got together to go through things and clean out the house. (now mom was blind....and she had this half moon shaped thing on the table that was a combination, clock, temperature and something else?) Anyway, she would hit the top and it would give her the time and temp.

so, every Sunday, when we were in the house, as soon as we were all there, this clock would go off constantly, as if someone were hitting the button on top over and over again. At first it kinda freaked us out, we would all stand there and look at each other....but then, my one sister said, "I think she is trying to tell us, it's ok to do this, and that she is still here with us". We'd look at each other and then proceed, as if nothing happened, smiling to ourselves.

then I had a dream....went downstairs, and there was mom, standing at the baker's table where she kept all her money, lined up in 20's, 10's, 5's and 1's.....

in the dream there were no words spoken, but I said, "mom, your not supposed to be here!" She looked at me and smiled, and then, the most miraculous thing happened....she changed, and her hair grew long and blond....she was taller then usual, and she was wearing a long sleeved white blouse, with kaki colored jodphers on, with a long scarf around her neck, she was dressed like a pilot.....and b/c her sister flew planes, I think she was trying to tell me, she was with Aunt Annie...? Not sure, but it was a pleasant dream....

Old 04-26-2015, 12:33 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,882 times
A week ago or so I had a dream in which one of my deceased friends kept telling me, "Remember this. Don't forget it." (I knew him since we were about 5 years old. We lived together and were best friends for years. He passed of a congenital heart defect several years ago.) I can't remember what he told me in my dream, unfortunately. In the middle of the night the next night, my overhead bedroom light came on and scared my husband and me out of a sound sleep. I used to wake my friend up to go to work by flipping the light on and yelling, "Yay! It's time for work! You get to be productive today!"

Two days ago, I was telling my mom about my friend appearing in my dream but I was unable to remember what he said. She and I were walking around a cemetery, looking for our ancestral burial sites... and just as I was telling her about my dream, I walked around a grove of trees and saw my friend's name written on a gravestone. I was slightly taken aback and then my mom said, "He really wants you to remember what he told you." He was a very "larger than life" kind of guy, so if there's a person who could somehow communicate from the Other Side, I think he'd be one! He was such an affable, happy kind of person. Everyone loved him because he was just so much fun to be around. I hope he'll "visit" again so I can remember what he told me!

Old 04-26-2015, 02:26 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,364 times
Quite a few years ago I lost a friend in a mysterious aircraft accident. It was crashed in a precarious and unstable location on a mountain glacier so there was no recovery of the bodies or aircraft. I was grieving without comfort a few weeks later and I had an unusual dream. I dreamt that my friend was on a large ferry. The ferry was going across a large body of water taking him away and I couldn't go. I asked if I was ever going to see him again and he said in his usual enigmatic and half joking manner, "More than once."

I awoke immediately. I believed that I had been visited and I know that in a million years I could not have predicted that answer that was so perfect for him to say, even within my subconscious. I was comforted by the dream.

My husband had a dream very recently of our recently passed dog's sister that had preceded Pepper in death by 4.5 years. She was white and looked more like a wolfhound than airedale but it was Ginger and it was like she was telling my husband that she and Pepper were okay. It comforted him immensely.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
A week ago or so I had a dream in which one of my deceased friends kept telling me, "Remember this. Don't forget it." (I knew him since we were about 5 years old. We lived together and were best friends for years. He passed of a congenital heart defect several years ago.) I can't remember what he told me in my dream, unfortunately. In the middle of the night the next night, my overhead bedroom light came on and scared my husband and me out of a sound sleep. I used to wake my friend up to go to work by flipping the light on and yelling, "Yay! It's time for work! You get to be productive today!"

Two days ago, I was telling my mom about my friend appearing in my dream but I was unable to remember what he said. She and I were walking around a cemetery, looking for our ancestral burial sites... and just as I was telling her about my dream, I walked around a grove of trees and saw my friend's name written on a gravestone. I was slightly taken aback and then my mom said, "He really wants you to remember what he told you." He was a very "larger than life" kind of guy, so if there's a person who could somehow communicate from the Other Side, I think he'd be one! He was such an affable, happy kind of person. Everyone loved him because he was just so much fun to be around. I hope he'll "visit" again so I can remember what he told me!

same thing happened to me, we were friends since high school...and after, and when he passed, he visited me in a dream but I cannot remember to this day what he said to me....as in real life I was preoccupied with another very sad and engrossing event in my life.

and I've lost several dear friends in the past few years....and one early morning, I woke up, to the feeling of someone kissing me on the cheek, honestly, I felt it, and it woke me.....but I have no idea who it was.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:07 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,549 times
I've had a few odd things happen and have had dreams but I always end up questioning it, I wish I didn't and could just trust that it is a sign.

A couple of years ago a friend passed away. We were not close in the sense that we saw each other often or talked often, but I always felt we had a special connection. He was one of the nicest, sweetest, kindest people I have ever met.

His passing was very sudden. I saw him not long before I found out he was sick and he was totally fine. When I heard he was sick I thought it was something minor, and never thought I would never see him again. I sent him a get well card, and then found out he passed away. I wasn't even sure if he ever got my card.

Then I had a dream that he called me to tell me that he wanted to let me know he got my card and to say thank you. Then he said I have to go, and I think he said someone was calling him and he was gone. I never saw him in that dream. I will never forget that dream, and hope it was him. I would love to see him again one day, and maybe he will tell me it was really him.

I also had a couple of dreams after my grandmother passed away. In one dream I also never saw her, but I knew it was her and she was telling me to go see a dentist, that I need to go see a dentist. I didn't listen to her in that dream, and shortly after I developed a problem with my tooth that would have been prevented possibly if I had gone to a dentist sooner.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:32 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,006 times
I lost my maternal grandma some years ago (terminal cancer). She and I were very close.
Prior to her illness, I used to go to her house on Saturday and stay over until Sunday - this was every weekend, no matter what. Years (now decades) after her death, I still think of her. Well, one Saturday just a few years ago, I thought a lot about her, and felt a little sad. I swear, she spoke to me - I heard her voice, clear as day, but didn't see her - she spoke my name, and said, "I've lived my life...don't worry about me. I'm fine. You need to live your life. Enjoy the things you like. Enjoy life." That was it. I caught myself saying, "I miss you, Grandma!" and felt a warm sensation, as if someone was hugging me. Mind you, I was the only person in the house, as I lived alone. I know that my parents and grandparents are watching!

Old 05-29-2015, 04:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,549 times
A family member told me the other day that a couple of years ago she woke up one night and her friend was standing by her bed. She was a little shocked to see her, and looked at her clock. Then the woman was gone. The next day she found out her friend died during the night, at the exact time she saw her in her bedroom. Was this woman's spirit visiting and maybe saying goodbye? I think so. I have heard this happens more often than we think, but I do wonder why they choose to show themselves like that to some people and not others.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:15 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,642 times
Only in my dreams and I was like WOW, i thought you were gone. Nothing in real life.

I've met people who say they've gone through mediums. I doubt it's their loved ones they're speaking to, more like an evil spirit lying to them about who they are.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:04 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,922,901 times
When I was a kid, at Christmas time at school, we used to buy gifts for everyone, they had a special sale where kids could buy inexpensive gifts.

I bought gifts, bought myself a tiny screwdriver set in a nice clear plastic case (this was late 70's)...

When my dad saw it, he asked me if maybe he could have it. This touched me as my dad was never one to ask us kids for stuff, he was one to go without and drive beaters so we had nice clothes and great chrismas's, a great happy childhood...so I was very very happy to give these to him...I was honored

decades later...my dad died after battling cancer for a year, this was nov 2014

A few weeks ago I was at my moms fixing things and went to my dads tool room to get a screwdriver...I opened the drawer and there was this little set...sitting there...

I had opened this drawer many times even before dad died and don't remember seeing this, or didn't notice it...

I have been having a rough time in my marriage and dealing with my dads passing and have been talking to him (one way conversation of course)...

and there it is...this little screw driver set...it floored me and I had myself a good cry...uncontrollable sobbing cry...cant remember doing that since I was a kid...even typing it now is very difficult...

the screwdriver set is still there...when my mom finally moves I will probably inherit all his tools...I wonder if that set will disappear or if it will still be there the next time I open that drawer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning