Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:30 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times

Advertisements

If one is happy alone, so be it. Enjoy it. If one is happy mourning, so be it. If one is happy being a recluse, so be it. If one is happy dating, so be it. If one is happy remarrying, so be it.

To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 01:45 AM

574 posts, read 376,837 times
I have read thru all of these posts on this thread. I have also read much as I started searching grief and widowers and coping right after my wife passed. I needed answers and help. I found a lot of ideas but it is different for everyone.

If you read the entire thread, one thing that stands out is men will sometimes date very soon after. And women will usually not for a much longer period of time. And many women will never date again. And the opinions of men and women on what is a reasonable time to wait is also very different. It is true here and just about anywhere else one might look for the answer.

What is kind of a good bit of advice is wait one year before doing anything of a financial life changing nature. It is true that our minds are still struggling with the new world and we don't always make good decisions.

As far as dating after losing a spouse, only one person can make that decision. I am on a few forums and chat with a few. Getting married again to me at this time sounds totally out of the question. It is so complicated at this age. Chances are there are two or more mortgages, multiple financial considerations, not to mention multiple family issues.

I have heard from men and women both who want companionship but not all the things that can go with it. So many just see one other person regularly. Their friendship serves them both well. It seems to be common. People don't want to be alone, but they also don't want to be married.

In my own case, I am not dating yet. I have friends and family and other types of support. I am adjusting to the new life. It is easy and hard at the same time. Good days and tough days. But I do feel the loneliness. And that is likely to drive me to seek out companionship sooner or later. And that is actually a very scary thought. At least fo me.

There is no minimum or maximum time a person should wait. And there is no right or wrong as to remaining alone or finding another. It may be the only good thing about being a widower. The only pressure to do anything is self imposed. If you are not sure? Guess what, you don't have to decide.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:43 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
I have read thru all of these posts on this thread. I have also read much as I started searching grief and widowers and coping right after my wife passed. I needed answers and help. I found a lot of ideas but it is different for everyone.

If you read the entire thread, one thing that stands out is men will sometimes date very soon after. And women will usually not for a much longer period of time. And many women will never date again. And the opinions of men and women on what is a reasonable time to wait is also very different. It is true here and just about anywhere else one might look for the answer.

What is kind of a good bit of advice is wait one year before doing anything of a financial life changing nature. It is true that our minds are still struggling with the new world and we don't always make good decisions.

As far as dating after losing a spouse, only one person can make that decision. I am on a few forums and chat with a few. Getting married again to me at this time sounds totally out of the question. It is so complicated at this age. Chances are there are two or more mortgages, multiple financial considerations, not to mention multiple family issues.

I have heard from men and women both who want companionship but not all the things that can go with it. So many just see one other person regularly. Their friendship serves them both well. It seems to be common. People don't want to be alone, but they also don't want to be married.

In my own case, I am not dating yet. I have friends and family and other types of support. I am adjusting to the new life. It is easy and hard at the same time. Good days and tough days. But I do feel the loneliness. And that is likely to drive me to seek out companionship sooner or later. And that is actually a very scary thought. At least fo me.

There is no minimum or maximum time a person should wait. And there is no right or wrong as to remaining alone or finding another. It may be the only good thing about being a widower. The only pressure to do anything is self imposed. If you are not sure? Guess what, you don't have to decide.
very nice post stevie.. In my own opinon I think men like to be taken care of, like a mother figure, I wont comment on what some others look for... as im not a man..

Old 01-28-2017, 08:50 AM

I agree Stevie wrote a nice post and as I widower I understand it. I have opted to have a young casual friend with benefits. Might I change my mind in the future? I do not know but I doubt it as I do not want to become to involved with anyone. If the right thing came along I will deal with it then.

Bottom line is to each their own.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
very nice post stevie.. In my own opinon I think men like to be taken care of, like a mother figure, I wont comment on what some others look for... as im not a man..
I don't know what other men want. My friends and I don't usually talk about relationships.

For me, I have been doing all the housework for a few years. Also the yard work and all the maintenance.

I don't want a mother figure. I married my wife and she was my equal partner. We took care of each other.
A few weeks after she passed I had an accident with some tools. I injured my hand and needed stitches. I took myself to the ER. I could not hold back my emotions in the ER. For all these years I took her to the doctors and appts and was her caregiver and now after I had given everything I had, there was no one to take me to the ER.

I will eventually look for someone else. No idea when. But I will be looking for someone independent and not a mother figure. Just a normal committed relationship where we agree to take care of each others needs.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:32 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Stevie60, I am both sorry for you loss and your loneliness. What you describe is also what I picture in a new relationship - a partnership. As a widow, I do not want to be a mother figure to a grown man. I also do not want to be objectified in the pursuit of "benefits." I would want an equal partner with whom to share the work and joys of life. I had this kind of loving, intimate partnership with my lost husband, and if I were to find another, that's what I would want again. Of course, every relationship and every person is different; you can't reproduce what you had. It has to be something new. But I could not be my genuine self if I were to try to fit into the "roles" above.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
Stevie60, I am both sorry for you loss and your loneliness. What you describe is also what I picture in a new relationship - a partnership. As a widow, I do not want to be a mother figure to a grown man. I also do not want to be objectified in the pursuit of "benefits." I would want an equal partner with whom to share the work and joys of life. I had this kind of loving, intimate partnership with my lost husband, and if I were to find another, that's what I would want again. Of course, every relationship and every person is different; you can't reproduce what you had. It has to be something new. But I could not be my genuine self if I were to try to fit into the "roles" above.
No, there is no way to replace my wife. She was a wonderful mother to our children and a wonderful wife to me. Her goals in life were always to be a mom with the station wagon and take the kids everywhere. And then it was to be a grandma and do the same. She loved anything to do with the grandchildren.

She was a small woman. And stunningly beautiful. It was always comical when guys would meet me they would just think another geek/dweeb. Then she would walk up and kiss me and they would get very confused. And then there were a few men who became almost obsessed with her. I nipped that in the bud in no uncertain terms. She had a real strong effect on men. She never thought nothing of it and didn't flaunt it or even flirt. I took her on a dependents cruise on an aircraft carrier when we were first married. She was easily the most beautiful girl on the ship. I had a lot of fun when guys would ask me how I got someone so beautiful? My comments are not g rated.

Our relationship was about as good as it can get. We never had the big fight. The worst it ever got was giving each other the silent treatment. And that never lasted very long. She was more than content to be a mom and a home maker. She sewed and did a multitude of arts and crafts. Always making outfits and costumes for the kids. She taught herself to knit and that was her last foray before she got to sick to do much. When we built the house she helped design the kitchen and bedroom closets and such.

I know I cannot replace her. I know I have to guard against comparing someone else to her, or to expect someone else to try to be like she was. It isn't going to happen. I was invited tonight to go to an all girls band. My friend is married to one of the singers. It is a place where they have regular jam sessions for female musicians and such. I thought a long time about it. And I called him and told him I am not ready to go out yet. And I am not ready to meet other women. I want to, I really do, I am godawful lonely. But each day is a struggle with my emotions and I am pretty sure I would only hurt someone else. I cannot tell the difference between grief and loneliness. They both stink!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie60 View Post
No, there is no way to replace my wife. She was a wonderful mother to our children and a wonderful wife to me. Her goals in life were always to be a mom with the station wagon and take the kids everywhere. And then it was to be a grandma and do the same. She loved anything to do with the grandchildren.

She was a small woman. And stunningly beautiful. It was always comical when guys would meet me they would just think another geek/dweeb. Then she would walk up and kiss me and they would get very confused. And then there were a few men who became almost obsessed with her. I nipped that in the bud in no uncertain terms. She had a real strong effect on men. She never thought nothing of it and didn't flaunt it or even flirt. I took her on a dependents cruise on an aircraft carrier when we were first married. She was easily the most beautiful girl on the ship. I had a lot of fun when guys would ask me how I got someone so beautiful? My comments are not g rated.

Our relationship was about as good as it can get. We never had the big fight. The worst it ever got was giving each other the silent treatment. And that never lasted very long. She was more than content to be a mom and a home maker. She sewed and did a multitude of arts and crafts. Always making outfits and costumes for the kids. She taught herself to knit and that was her last foray before she got to sick to do much. When we built the house she helped design the kitchen and bedroom closets and such.

I know I cannot replace her. I know I have to guard against comparing someone else to her, or to expect someone else to try to be like she was. It isn't going to happen. I was invited tonight to go to an all girls band. My friend is married to one of the singers. It is a place where they have regular jam sessions for female musicians and such. I thought a long time about it. And I called him and told him I am not ready to go out yet. And I am not ready to meet other women. I want to, I really do, I am godawful lonely. But each day is a struggle with my emotions and I am pretty sure I would only hurt someone else. I cannot tell the difference between grief and loneliness. They both stink!
Going out for a night of music does not mean you are there to replace your lost, loved one. Get off your a$$ and go.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:40 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
My wife died of cancer three months ago. I'm not the basket case I was nowadays, but of course my life partner is gone and frankly I'm pretty lonely. I am 52. I wondered what others' experiences are/ were in this situation. Thanks.
First, I am very sorry for your loss.

I lost my late fiance when I was 23 years old. I learned from my support group that the decision to move on and find a new partner after the death of a beloved spouse/lover is emotionally wrenching and deeply personal.

Some people, even after a happy marriage, start looking for a new mate fairly soon. Others choose to remain single. There’s no right or wrong decision.

Whatever you do, try not to fall into the rebound relationship trap. Honesty is always the best policy. If you are only looking for a physical relationship or a friendship from a woman, be honest. I think good women will be understanding towards your situation. No matter what your decision is, try not to feel guilty moving on.. Our loved ones want us to move forward.

best of luck.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
First, I am very sorry for your loss.

I lost my late fiance when I was 23 years old. I learned from my support group that the decision to move on and find a new partner after the death of a beloved spouse/lover is emotionally wrenching and deeply personal.

Some people, even after a happy marriage, start looking for a new mate fairly soon. Others choose to remain single. There’s no right or wrong decision.

Whatever you do, try not to fall into the rebound relationship trap. Honesty is always the best policy. If you are only looking for a physical relationship or a friendship from a woman, be honest. I think good women will be understanding towards your situation. No matter what your decision is, try not to feel guilty moving on.. Our loved ones want us to move forward.

best of luck.
I agree. Avoid a rebound serious relationship. A rebound FWB is OK, but nothing serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning