Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2018, 10:17 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times

Advertisements

Ah, the stresses of the season. People who normally have very different lives come together to remind themselves why they don't come together more often.

I used to enjoy having to work on the 25th. Stuff would start to get heated or contentious and I'd smile, stand up, and say "Well, I've got to go open up the theatre." There was no way they could stop me or drag me into the quicksand over the cesspit of the annual argument. From the looks on the customer's faces, it was obvious that many of them were also looking at the excuse of a movie to catch a break from uncle Ned yammering on about politics or disrespectful kids or his anger du' jour. Some of them had the unmistakable deer-in-headlights look.

Speaking of which - remember which forum this is in responses - NO politics, NO religion, NO culture or age or other wars. We're going to eat this d***ed bird (or tofu for vegans) in peace this year!

Just wondering... Are vegans really aliens from the Vega star system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 10:47 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Niece's wedding/reception last night. I had a great time. Did not meet any single woman. Had a few drinks so questionable if I could drive (probably not really questionable...LOL), so I decided to play it safe and take my first Uber. Calling one in the next hour or two to take me back to my car. Great, safe concept. Only pain going back to get my car.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:29 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
That's great to hear, john! So I take it no hangover? Then you didn't need an Uber. j/k Ya know, I have heard it said time and time again that you (meaning people) will meet somebody when you least expect it. I have always met guys when I wasn't "looking". Glad you had a super time. Now to get your wheels back.

Harry, you made me so lol with your post. It does seem to always go like that, doesn't it? I had never experienced anything like that until I was married the second time. BIG family of in-laws. The last Christmas that we put on for them, which I didn't realize would be the last one, I was caught on video (my voice) talking smack with the neices about their grandfather's driving. Also my Dad didn't like HIS Dad very much. Navy (my dad) vs Army (his dad). Battle of war stories.

Trish, the gf, called again and told Linda, the mother, not to bother making her macaroni and cheese because she (Trish) had just bought some from CostCo. Oh boy! Another hissy fit. "Store bought tastes store bought! Maybe I will just go over and add some eggs to it!" (The "kids" house is never locked, plus Linda has a key, which son asked for back the other night!) I told her she better not do that! Then I fibbed and said "maybe Trish is just trying to ease your cooking burden." Then I told her "it's Trish's house now too, so maybe you should take a step back and let her feed "her family". I did not get an adverse reaction but I don't think she will listen. She is going to fight Trish tooth and nail. Linda even complained to her son about this. Poor Ben (the son) caught in the middle of a fight his mother is creating. Not good.

Nope, unplugging my router did not fix Alexa. If Xfinity can't help me, I will send it back. Of course there was no paperwork in this box!

Old 12-24-2018, 09:40 AM

I sold my Echo to Linda this morning for one of her grandsons. I hadn't thrown any of the packaging away so it's just like it is new. She will pay me Thursday. I hope it's not a bum Echo, then I have to get it back and return it. I lost my enthusiasm for it. I will stick to my cd/radio. Oh well.

We found out we have yet another problem in the household. Linda went to get her vodka for her Harveywallbanger cake and it is all gone. The 15 year old has been drinking it. I found out last year he was drinking some liquor I had in the fridge.

Oh well.

Merry Christmas to you all. I hope everyone one has a peaceful evening and day today and tomorrow. My best to all.

(((Hugs))),
tami

Old 12-24-2018, 10:42 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
It's chilly here, only 61°. Average is mid-high 70s°.

Bought myself a present the other day, a gold rope chain. I sold and lost everything I had up home in Massachusetts before having to come down here. I live month to month on my SS and had a few bucks extra this month.

After checking out the cheapest couple of places I could think of, Wal-Mart and Goodwill, I decided to go try a pawn shop! Wth, I know I sold very good stuff to one up home! Selling, you get peanuts for your stuff but thought maybe I could find a bargain. Goodwill was too expensive! $399 for super thin gold chains!

I found a 14k 18" gold rope for $195. I said I would take it and the guy only charged me $140!!! Good deal! I feel more like myself with a little bit of real gold around my neck now.

Diamonds are my birthstone but pawned all I had. Last year I bought a fake art-deco ring in sterling silver for $49 and people keep complimenting it. A friend said it was gorgeous and so what if they are lab created? They are perfect, real diamonds are not. He is so right! So I can now stop my yearning for a real diamond. Next on my list, a couple of pair of gold snuggles for the two holes in each ear. Because of my MS, I have a very hard time with getting jewelry on and off. So I will put them in and leave them. I used to so love wearing junk earring for all the holidays! I am blessed not to have allergies to metals.
May I join you? I'm fellow jewelry lover (I call myself a magpie, I see something shiny, I must "peck"at it).

To us magpies, there's nothing like a little piece of bling to cheer us up, and I'm happy you were able to find that gold chain and ring-and even better that you didn't have to break the bank to get them. There are lots of places out there- sometimes second hand stores, I've even found some treasures at the clearance counter at Walmart, knick-knack stores and places where they sell antiques (consignment based in my experience). And you're right, cubic zirconias and other variations of manmade diamonds look so darn good these days I sure couldn't tell the difference between those and real diamonds, except as you say the real diamonds have imperfections.

So enjoy, and wear it well. I know you do.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:43 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
I sold my Echo to Linda this morning for one of her grandsons. I hadn't thrown any of the packaging away so it's just like it is new. She will pay me Thursday. I hope it's not a bum Echo, then I have to get it back and return it. I lost my enthusiasm for it. I will stick to my cd/radio. Oh well.

We found out we have yet another problem in the household. Linda went to get her vodka for her Harveywallbanger cake and it is all gone. The 15 year old has been drinking it. I found out last year he was drinking some liquor I had in the fridge.

Oh well.

Merry Christmas to you all. I hope everyone one has a peaceful evening and day today and tomorrow. My best to all.

(((Hugs))),
tami
You too, Tami.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:49 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
On the 2nd day of my hangover. It is wearing off slowly as I drink spiked EggNog.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:56 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:

Oh well.

(((Hugs))),
tami
I'm not sure an Echo for a grandson is a good deal. Maybe, or maybe not. Electronics are one thing, and young'uns are another. Besides, you'd have to feed him.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:29 AM

Good afternoon everyone! Everyone survived? Even john with his big head. I LOVE spiked eggnog, John. Old New England, already made, rum, brandy, whiskey, scotch! Talk about getting sh*tfaced! My original love is Hood's Golden Eggnog and put my own brandy in it.

G, the grandson is not that young. He is 13 and a savant. VERY brilliant in his area. So no probs there. My gift to his mother was a real hit with everyone in the family! I was so hoping the hairbrush would do as well on her hair as it does mine. It does perfect. I'm glad it came with a companion small brush, like mine did, she put hers in the glove compartment of her vehicle. Gave me a good idea of what to do with mine!

I got the first Christmas present in 7 years from Ben and Trish! The softest pajamas I have ever felt against my skin. I'm too cheap to pay that much money for pjs!! Plus a pair of matching slippers. Oh, and an ornament. I won't put it on the tree here so I hung it on my wall. A nice cardinal.

They do Christmas on Christmas Eve, so yesterday didn't feel like Christmas. It felt like just another day. Which, is what I have been trying to train myself to think for 7 years. Well, 7 years next month, but he was so sick the last one, it wasn't much of one. It feels wonderful not to be depressed for a change because of the holidays.

GG, where are you? I hope you are too busy with your son to pop in. I miss you!

Have a good day everyone.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:46 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Peace and hope to all for the new year.
I'm always struck by the way that many of those things that we have put out of our minds (or on a back burner) come flooding back after Christmas. It's like the door slams shut and we are standing on the front porch contemplating which way to go. Do we turn right or left or cross the street? The country is in a turmoil on several fronts but for a few days we were able to focus on family and friends and good memories and were (I hope) in a better place. The holidays were a struggle for many years but are enjoyable now.

We had a shirtsleeve Christmas but the clouds are spitting snow this morning -- an uncommon occurrence here. Nothing on the ground now and they say we might see more snow on Friday. It is always welcome in the desert. Our winters are usually 50-degree sunny days but cold nights and we are a bit overdue for the coldest days of the season. I have a friend in Australia who was telling me that they observe Boxing Day as a sort of decompression period after Christmas. It is the height of summer there and it is often a sweltering day -- nice not to do anything for a day.

Christmas was a joyous event at my house. Even the cat was in a good mood with a new catnip toy. My daughter and I took a pre-holiday vacation by train to LA and San Diego earlier in the month and had a great time but that put us un a bit of a rush during the last week before Christmas. I made fudge and cookies, like always, and she did too -- so we just moved from one plate to another on Christmas. I'm sure my triglycerides are sky-high with all the stuff I've eaten. I'll have to find some discipline. Maybe I'll join a gym...

While I'm doing that, I want to wish you all a peaceful and healthy New Year for 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning