Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2019, 01:37 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times

Advertisements

Hi to the chilly willy gang!

Monday I happily got chilled, Tuesday I had to use my new robe. It is so wonderfully soft and warm. Didn't need it today but the next few days might go down to the 40s and 50°s. 50°s down here but 40°s in Central and North Florida. I have been wearing socks to bed.

Everybody I interacted with yesterday began a conversation with "how do you like this weather?" Everyone just was loving it. People were even smiling more.

I get my new dentures Tuesday. I had a lot of work done on my lowers yesterday and there are no more problems with them. I'm almost a month ahead of schedule but this is my choice. Been a long road.

Happy Hump Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 08:35 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Tam, that's quite chilly for your area. That's about as low as I'd want to go, but unfortunately it's not the bottom for me.

When I lived in North Carolina, my husband and I visited the relatives in Northeastern Pennsylvania at Christmas, and I thought that I might freeze to death. I'd grown up there - and I didn't always love the cold - but living with daily temperatures above freezing, visiting the winter wonderland was taxing.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:26 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Tam, that's quite chilly for your area. That's about as low as I'd want to go, but unfortunately it's not the bottom for me.

When I lived in North Carolina, my husband and I visited the relatives in Northeastern Pennsylvania at Christmas, and I thought that I might freeze to death. I'd grown up there - and I didn't always love the cold - but living with daily temperatures above freezing, visiting the winter wonderland was taxing.
I’m wondering a little about temperature, too. My goal is to get back to friends and family in PA (Pittsburgh). But at least the Bay Area of California is cool — so cold isn’t too far off cool. But cold is cold. I guess I’ll see when I get there.

My sister called Tuesday and was excited about the snow; it was windy and the snow was swirling because it was powdery. Perfect day for staying home and making stuff.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:12 AM

I knew I was never going back to Massachusetts so I didn't bring one item of cold weather clothes. Even last year when it got below 32° I was able to manage by wearing two pairs of socks and my Patriots knit cap, Pat's jacket and a pair of gloves I bought.

Right now it's 64°, feels like 63° but I am loving it! Very little, if any, sun. A touch breezy.

I have a little story I am also going to post over in the Nature forum.....

I watched a Heron flying with Storks yesterday. Up and down, back and forth along the canal starting at 7:30 a.m.. My last observation was around 3:30 p.m. when 3 huge Storks were resting on top of the hill that goes down to the canal. All 3 were lined up in a row and this Heron would walk over to each and then jump down into the canal. The Storks made the full grown Heron look like a juvenile. They are massive. After about 20 minutes one Stork flew away down the canal and the Heron took off behind it. The next Stork took off after the Heron flapping its wings like crazy. The 3rd Stork said "wait for me!"

I think we have a Heron who is confused about its identity!

Then there was a Blue Heron looking like it was displaying but I couldn't see if there was another one down along the opposite bank.

An interesting day of bird watching.

Time to go make lunch. Rare roast beef with mayo on Pepridge Farm oatmeal bread. I love oatmeal bread.

Have a great Saturday, everyone.

Oh, if anyone is looking for a nice TV show to watch on a Saturday night, I love "Crikey! It's the Irwins!" 8 p.m. on the Animal Planet station. I loved Steve Irwin to pieces and love seeing what Terri, Bindi and Robert are doing for animal conservation. Steve would be so proud. It's a feel good show and I just relax watching it.

Old 11-17-2019, 12:20 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,521,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I knew I was never going back to Massachusetts so I didn't bring one item of cold weather clothes. Even last year when it got below 32° I was able to manage by wearing two pairs of socks and my Patriots knit cap, Pat's jacket and a pair of gloves I bought.

Right now it's 64°, feels like 63° but I am loving it! Very little, if any, sun. A touch breezy.

I have a little story I am also going to post over in the Nature forum.....

I watched a Heron flying with Storks yesterday. Up and down, back and forth along the canal starting at 7:30 a.m.. My last observation was around 3:30 p.m. when 3 huge Storks were resting on top of the hill that goes down to the canal. All 3 were lined up in a row and this Heron would walk over to each and then jump down into the canal. The Storks made the full grown Heron look like a juvenile. They are massive. After about 20 minutes one Stork flew away down the canal and the Heron took off behind it. The next Stork took off after the Heron flapping its wings like crazy. The 3rd Stork said "wait for me!"

I think we have a Heron who is confused about its identity!

Then there was a Blue Heron looking like it was displaying but I couldn't see if there was another one down along the opposite bank.

An interesting day of bird watching.

Time to go make lunch. Rare roast beef with mayo on Pepridge Farm oatmeal bread. I love oatmeal bread.

Have a great Saturday, everyone.

Oh, if anyone is looking for a nice TV show to watch on a Saturday night, I love "Crikey! It's the Irwins!" 8 p.m. on the Animal Planet station. I loved Steve Irwin to pieces and love seeing what Terri, Bindi and Robert are doing for animal conservation. Steve would be so proud. It's a feel good show and I just relax watching it.
Robert looks just like his dad.

Old 11-17-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’m wondering a little about temperature, too. My goal is to get back to friends and family in PA (Pittsburgh). But at least the Bay Area of California is cool — so cold isn’t too far off cool. But cold is cold. I guess I’ll see when I get there.

My sister called Tuesday and was excited about the snow; it was windy and the snow was swirling because it was powdery. Perfect day for staying home and making stuff.
Pittsburgh is pretty cold. My nephew went to grad school there. I also remember the Steelers home snow games. The ones in the 1960s and '70s were fantastic. That was when many fields were grass. Players would slide for yards on the newly fallen, wet snow. The mud games were even better.

Northeastern Pennsylvania was cold enough for me. We cracked zero more than a couple of times. I think that it (maybe) felt worse then because we didn't have the ability to buy warm clothing and have it delivered to the house.

The older I get, the colder I get.

You live in or near San Francisco?

Old 11-17-2019, 07:07 PM

So, tam, tell this Eagles fan about their win tonight.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:19 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh is pretty cold. My nephew went to grad school there. I also remember the Steelers home snow games. The ones in the 1960s and '70s were fantastic. That was when many fields were grass. Players would slide for yards on the newly fallen, wet snow. The mud games were even better.

Northeastern Pennsylvania was cold enough for me. We cracked zero more than a couple of times. I think that it (maybe) felt worse then because we didn't have the ability to buy warm clothing and have it delivered to the house.

The older I get, the colder I get.

You live in or near San Francisco?
Oakland, across the bay.

And right now I’m all toasty in bed. But I guarantee at least twice tonight I will feel the need to heave off the duvet and get cold. Feels good to chill and warm up again.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
So, tam, tell this Eagles fan about their win tonight.
Lol, that was a bit of payback for stealing the SB that year with the same play that put us ahead yesterday. Needless to say I was so darned happy.

I finally took my bathrobe off sitting on the lanai. It was 53° at 6:23 a.m. when I got up but it's 63° now. I even broke out my blankey for my bed. I was using my bathrobe but I either had cold feet (with socks on) or a cold chest and arms for a couple of nights. Last night I was toasty warm. Of course, I still am keeping my window open about 3 inches at night. It never went above 56° yesterday andno sun. The geckos are MIA. Poor things.

I was thinking tomorrow was when I was getting my new dentures but it's a week from tomorrow. Good thing I realized it before I showed up tomorrow!

I watched the funniest movie Friday night, "The Book Club". I had so many lol moments! I am the Candice Bergman character. There was such a handsome man in it but I didn't know who he was. All through the movie I kept saying "how come I have never seen this dude?" It was Don Johnson!!! Oh my! He is aging so well like Sean Connery did. (Up to a certain point.) I wasn't too impressed by "Sonny Crockett". Now....va va voom! If you ladies "of a certain age" want to watch a hilarious movie you can relate to, watch this one!

Have a good Monday!

Old 11-18-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oakland, across the bay.

And right now I’m all toasty in bed. But I guarantee at least twice tonight I will feel the need to heave off the duvet and get cold. Feels good to chill and warm up again.
I kick them off when I'm asleep and wake up shivering. It does feel nice to warm up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning