Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2019, 10:58 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I'm turning into a grumpy old lady at 57 who uses th b*tch card when people **** me of

Now that I'm a widow woman people think I'm stupid and don't know cars, AC, maintenance. Well I've got new for them I'm not stupid, gullible or nieve.

Bring it on I'm stubborn, opinionated and ready for war.
I don't have that much energy. I seem to sigh a lot these days. I'm in my 60s and have been around the block a time or two. I'm reasonably intelligent, and my 30 year old son teaches me quite a few things. I have to put up with, "I told you that last week.", but the job gets done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 10:11 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
Thank you, Harry. I shall buy a can of the starter fluid. Can I use it if I got air in the line? Jim says I did by letting ALL the gas drain out.

Linda's son, told me he would get me a valve cap for my tire at his Hyundai dealership but as I suspected, he was too sh*tfaced to remember the conversation. So I went to Wally-World and to buy a packet of them. A lady worker asked if she could help me and I told her what I was looking for. She found them and she insisted she buy them for me!! They were only .88 and she got a discount but still..... A total stranger doing something so nice for a stranger (me)!!!!!! I sure am not used to that.

Ah, shh, you are very lucky to have knowledge of "men" things. I am always saying "I shoulda listened! To Dad, hubby."

I too, have limited energy, G. I so understand. I have, though, been seeing a little increase in my energy since the surgeon's nurse told me when to take one of my pills. I have been faithfully taking it in the morning for a few days and I really find a difference. My slow thyroid.

I bought two pair of "peddle pushers" at Wally-World a couple of days ago, my usual size, tried them on at home and found they were loose! I thought of keeping them and hoping they would shrink in the drier but took them back that evening. I tried the next size down and they fit so well. NOW I hope they DON'T shrink. I am going down to see if they have a tan pair in my size. I might take myself to the movies after. I "need" to see Downton Abbey. I watched that every single week for 7,8 years and I need to see the movie!! If not today, tomorrow. A matinee at 12 and 3:30 is showing and since it's going on noon, I will see about the 3:30 show. I will tell Linda I will fend for myself for supper, like I did last night. She forgot to take anything out for supper. When she and Jim have lunch out, she usually tends to say to hell with the rest of us for supper. I have learned to have a tv dinner in the freezer.

Happy Humpday!!

Eta: Harry, do I need to take the cover off the air filter before I spray it?? Duh.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:52 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Nope. Just spray the short burst to get to it the best you can. I dispute that having all gas out of the line was a problem. The standard drill is to push the plastic bulb that advances fuel a fixed number of times, set the carb to choke, pull until it catches and then move on to half-choke and pull. You can see and feel when the fuel is in that bulb, and when it is and you push it forward, you are much more likely to flood the engine with repeated attempts than not have enough fuel.

The starter fluid is usually enough to get the gas flowing in a stable manner and overcome minor flooding.

Thyroid pills need a half hour to an hour to absorb BEFORE you eat or drink anything. The stomach acid and stuff eats the active part of them when you don't. They are one pill that you will need to learn to titrate, as the effect varies and blood tests only tell part of the story. If you can find the book by Dr. Richard Shames, he spells it out. He practiced in Florida for a while and was the one that got my wife and me on the right track. I almost got into it with an intake nurse at a local hospital over the idea of patient titration of thyroid meds. Her ignorance and blind rule-following was physically offensive and she clearly didn't know spit about thyroid issues.

Old 09-25-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Nope. Just spray the short burst to get to it the best you can. I dispute that having all gas out of the line was a problem. The standard drill is to push the plastic bulb that advances fuel a fixed number of times, set the carb to choke, pull until it catches and then move on to half-choke and pull. You can see and feel when the fuel is in that bulb, and when it is and you push it forward, you are much more likely to flood the engine with repeated attempts than not have enough fuel.

The starter fluid is usually enough to get the gas flowing in a stable manner and overcome minor flooding.

Thyroid pills need a half hour to an hour to absorb BEFORE you eat or drink anything. The stomach acid and stuff eats the active part of them when you don't. They are one pill that you will need to learn to titrate, as the effect varies and blood tests only tell part of the story. If you can find the book by Dr. Richard Shames, he spells it out. He practiced in Florida for a while and was the one that got my wife and me on the right track. I almost got into it with an intake nurse at a local hospital over the idea of patient titration of thyroid meds. Her ignorance and blind rule-following was physically offensive and she clearly didn't know spit about thyroid issues.
Ummm....wth is titrate and titration?

Yes, I take it before I do anything now.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:28 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Titrate is to measure the precise amount used. The word comes from chemistry and a glass tube that measures out the amount of chemical dispensed, like a very precise measuring cup. When you titrate a medication you change the amount used and observe the effect closely. Thyroid replacement therapy has a very specific sweet spot where there are minimal side effects. Too little and you can be lethargic. Too much and your heart can beat too fast and you can be more prone to anxiety, etc. You have to pay close attention to the little changes that are related to how much you are taking.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Titrate is to measure the precise amount used. The word comes from chemistry and a glass tube that measures out the amount of chemical dispensed, like a very precise measuring cup. When you titrate a medication you change the amount used and observe the effect closely. Thyroid replacement therapy has a very specific sweet spot where there are minimal side effects. Too little and you can be lethargic. Too much and your heart can beat too fast and you can be more prone to anxiety, etc. You have to pay close attention to the little changes that are related to how much you are taking.
Thank you for 'splaining that to me. I think the doc did the right dosage because I don't feel lethargic all the time and my heart doesn't seem to beat too much. Of course I am on meds for that too!!

Old 09-25-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Thank you for 'splaining that to me. I think the doc did the right dosage because I don't feel lethargic all the time and my heart doesn't seem to beat too much. Of course I am on meds for that too!!
I'm on the border. My numbers aren't bad enough and my irregular heartbeat isn't irregular enough. I take naps. I'm too tired to do anything about it.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'm on the border. My numbers aren't bad enough and my irregular heartbeat isn't irregular enough. I take naps. I'm too tired to do anything about it.
G, do you have insurance and a primary doctor? I never knew how REALLY bad I felt until my pills started making me feel better!

Yesterday I went to the movies and saw Downton Abbey. It was great. Then since I noticed the cinema was right beside BELL'S and they have a buy anything and get anything for $1, I went over. When I was down here 10 years ago, I found BELL'S carries Gloria Vanderbilt jeans and when I went home, I used to have them shipped up there. I got two long legged pairs of jeans for $38!! TWO sizes smaller. Her clothes are so wonderfully made for us chubbies! I went back today and got 2 pair of Skecher sandals for $46. They are so comfortable. Now I can retire the ones I have been wearing that I hate how my feet are always coming out of them. Got my credit card back too. That will help raise my credit score.

Hagweekend.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:56 PM

LOL at Hagweekend.

I have insurance and loathe my see someone different every visit family practice. I'm looking around for something that will be better for me.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Hi! Thought I would pop in and say hi. Lol, I notice nobody wonders about where I have gotten off to! Just teasing. I assume most see me alive and posting in other threads/forums.

It has been so dry here until Monday that pouring rain was a happy thing. Got 2.9" in 45 mins.! No rain yesterday again. Today is cloudy but no rain....yet. Ya never know down here.

It's been kind of peaceful the past couple of weeks here. Correction....NO day is ever peaceful around here, it's just how I handle things. My mind is still restful since my major meltdown so I can ignore the crap. I am pleased with myself.

Don't know where I left off, I don't read back my posts most of the time. Since I had my 8 weeks appointment with the Podiatrist yesterday, makes me want to tell about how darned comfortable my new Skechers sandals are. Both pair. I highly recommend them. I have never had a comfortable sandal on my feet before. These are like walking on clouds. They even have arch support in them!

It's weird how I sometimes forget dates that used to be so important to me in my old life. As an adult, not as a kid. Like I can not forget that tomorrow, Thursday, was my anniversary to my 1st husband. I was 17, so that impacted me. Yet, Friday, Columbus Day, is the day my dad died. It takes a while until all the commercials make me realize that day is coming. I have completely forgotten the days my mother and hubby died the past few years. I remember after but then feel so guilty that I forgot! How could I do that?? Does that happen to anyone else? Is that normal? I sure don't forget THEM ever, just the dates. I'm a little sad about Friday coming but I shall not dwell. Is that what this is? Not dwelling anymore on the devastation these days caused me? TRYING not to dwell.

Hope everyone has been well since I was last here. G, how is the new place? I won't ask about shades. HAGD everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning