Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2019, 01:26 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times

Advertisements

I don't "do" dates. Over the years I had enough negative experiences with holidays and required observances and/or celebrations that I now no longer view a day as special simply because it happens to fall on a particular past calendar day. Each day has to stand as special on its own merits. Obviously, YMMV, and this is just a personal quirk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 08:12 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
My dad was born on October 11th, so almost Columbus day. My husband was born and brother died on December 13th, so that's a memorable day. I can never remember what year my brother died, but I think that's because I don't really want to. My nephew got a little loud on the 10th anniversary because I didn't mention it. It was a bit hard for me to consider him gone.

He was an extremely intelligent, adaptive, mercurial, globetrotting, millionaire 5x over guy who died of, probably, a curable disease or disorder in a third world country. He wasn't wealthy at the time, and there was almost nothing for anyone but the the wealthy in that place at that time.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:53 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,189,747 times
Today would have been my 49th anniversary if I had not divorced and tomorrow is the 15th anniversary of Dad's death. There, I got both off my chest and tomorrow will be a fine day. Love you, Daddy.

Maybe I might start acknowledging holidays more. I have shut myself off to feeling happy about them. Especially Christmas. There is no one I want to buy a gift for. Last year I got my first present in 8 years, from the now ex-gf of Linda's son. So nothing for me again. I have bought gifts for various members of the family each year but nobody thinks of me. That hurts. The gift I bought Linda 3 years ago is still sitting un-used out in the garage. It was something she really said she would like, so I bought it. Why she hasn't used it, IDK. It wasn't a cheap knock-off either. Oh well. I'm just feeling sorry for myself. This too shall pass. I shouldn't complain, there are plenty of other people in the same position. This is just the spoiled only child talking.

Lol, can you tell talking to "myself" helps me? I just happen to be dragging lots of people along with me into my brain.

That is very sad about your brother, G. I don't care what other people say, I still wouldn't want to be sick in any other country except here. Unfortunately it is the same here too....the poor don't get the care the "rich" do. Hubby and I found that out when BJ'S fired him and he lost his health insurance. His doctor's hands were tied when hubby had to depend on the state. Doc couldn't treat hubby the way he really wanted to. Doc was really upset. He liked hubby a lot. He enjoyed him. Hubby always made him smile.

I am fortunate enough to be able to afford the best insurance that is offered. Put it this way, I make sure I can pay for it. I am blessed that I don't pay a "real" rent. If I did, no way would I have my insurance. I wouldn't have a new vehicle either. Come right down to it, I wouldn't have a darned thing.

Today is the kind of day people think (wrongly) Florida is all about. It is perfect. Low humidity, sunshine, a light breeze, just gorgeous.

Have a good Thursday, everyone.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:28 PM

I talk to myself and the cat all of the time. It's my son's cat, but she's here fairly often. Whenever he has to work overtime or will be out of town, she stays with me. I talk to my sister at least once a month, often more, and the captain of the home town football team about once a month. He became the boy next door since I moved there when I was 12. We barely spoke to each other then. He has told me about his mom telling him about the pretty and nice girl just down the street and that he should date her. She watched me cut their lawn, shovel their walk, carry their groceries. Old world values.

When mom was old and I had moved away, he made necessary repairs to her house. She had people, but they didn't always show up or do a good job. He was a contractor. He did those repairs for the cost of parts and gas. I once talked to him about mom having a problem getting to an early morning test at the local hospital, and he insisted upon driving her there. Not only that, he made sure that she was properly checked in and made it to the appropriate waiting room for the test. He apologized for not being able to wait until the test was over.

He'd watched both of his parents die, so that was part of it. His mom wasn't very old when she died. Maybe early 60s. He moved back into the family home to help his dad, and he died before he was 70.

He's now one of my best friends. Who would have thunk?

Old 10-11-2019, 11:13 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,503,361 times
Just a note to say I am happy to have found this thread active again. I need to put it on my Subscribe list as I missed a whole big section, which I just go caught up on. I enjoy reading everyone's posts. Please keep em coming.

ETA: Just did. Now I won't miss any of the conversation going forward.

Old 10-12-2019, 03:45 PM

Lol, welcome back, Lodestar.

IDK what to make of yesterday. IDK whether to think Dad was watching over me or it was just coincidence. I am pretty sure that it was coincidence but I like putting a spin on it that it was Daddy.

Thursday I got two advertisements for lawyers to help me with the civil action that was filed against me Wednesday. WHAAAT???? So I called one of them and left my name and number.

Meanwhile I looked up how much I owed this place. Not bad, under $2K. So I decided to heck with paying a lawyer to settle my debt. I called the company and spoke with a very nice man and we came to an agreement for $500 less than what my bill was. I paid it in full so the case is closed. Phew, good thing I got those advertisements or I would have been served with a subpoena for court! Who knows how much money I would have been clobbered with then! I am once again down almost no money to my name but starting next month I should be able to start getting things back together. I need to be a little more prudent for the next couple of months. If worse comes to worse, I can dip into the little savings account I opened up a couple of months ago. Got $200 in it already. I am pleased with myself for doing that. I will try and keep myself from dipping into it. I have only one more debt hanging over my head from the past and I will use this savings account to pay that off in a couple more months. Then I am all caught up from my past life. It's tough trying to claw out of debt. Once out of it, I don't plan on getting into it again! Maybe my credit score will improve in a while and I can get a senior apartment somewhere. I don't need much, a studio apartment would suffice.

Have a good night, everyone.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:59 PM

Once it starts, this stuff seems to never end. One shark after another comes along to take a bite.

Yeah, we will get some money from people who don't have much because they can't pay for expensive lawyers.

Pus sucking maggots.

On that happy note...

Old 10-14-2019, 08:45 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,503,361 times
I am Lodestar 77. Please use this when referencing me. There is a Lodestar who is an active poster here on CD. My comments, when I make them, may not always be in line with hers, and I don't want people thinking my comments are hers and create a problem for her. Thanks much.

I mostly lurk here on CD, and hang out in one particular forum. I refrain from commenting because my views are not always in agreement with the majority, and I don't want a p**sing match to happen. I find this day-to-day discussion to be quite pleasant, and I enjoy all who post to this particular thread. I will if I have something to add to the convo.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:54 AM

Ok, lodestar 77. I didn't know there were two. Lol, there may be more. I always shorten handles. I will refer to you as just 77 from now on.

Cheers.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:44 AM

Good almost afternoon. Lmao, G Tell us how you really feel about debt collectors. Rofl! Ain't it the truth. Sadly I had to dip into the savings. One demon uses a triple roll of tp A DAY!!! Now that his demon brother has been thrown back into our household, it's up to almost 2 rolls. I would not but any until the check cleared, so I could see how much I had left. My car payment automatically comes out on the 19th and I don't get anymore money until the 1st. So I transferred some money into my checking yesterday and the check cleared today. We now have to for the bathroom I have to share with the demons. I got yelled at by some other female in the house when I asked to borrow a couple of rolls! I put two rolls on the kitchen island as soon as I walked in the door after going to ALDI'S.

It would be nice if not for the humidity. 84° but feels like 94°. The cooler air just keeps stopping before it reaches us and next week is forecast to be unbearably hot again.

My key fob to my suv broke this morning. My keys fell of as I took them out of my pocket. There is a big black piece of fob missing. I have searched and searched for the piece between the suv and the front door....nothing! There is no way to attach my keys to it now. I am going to wait until next month to go to the dealership if I have to pay for a new one. I will call and find out. it's always something.

Happy Hump day, everyone!

Last edited by harry chickpea; 10-16-2019 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Pejorative removed. NOT in this forum. EVER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning