Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 10:55 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times

Advertisements

I started a thread over on the Retirement forum about New Year's Eve rituals or traditions. My late wife had a bunch and I still observe one or two. Putting pennies outside before midnight and bringing them inside after midnight gives you good luck and prosperity (everybody knows that, right?).

But, indeed, the gunfire is bothersome. For some people, there's nothing like squeezing off a few dozen rounds to welcome the new year. I stay under cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 11:32 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
Good afternoon everyone. Yikes, janelle, I sure wouldn't want to be around live bullets!

john, bad boy.

Suns, will pop over to retirement forum. Yes, my dad taught me about the money trick. Sadly never works for me.

It's 81° here, not too too much humidity. Pretty quiet around the neighborhood because the south bound side of I75 is shut down for a tanker rollover. We can see the highway as we come down the side street we live off of and as the crow flies, it's almost in out backyard! So it's nice when part of it is shut down. All sorts of good news on the moon news! Helicopter crash, a big accident on the Skyway Bridge, someone struck by a train. Wowzza, happy new year!!!

Back to the every day sos, different year routine. I won't complain, I woke up this morning. That's half the battle!

HAGD everyone.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:01 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Switched cell service to Virgin Mobile along with a new phone. Was a bit frustrating as what the documentation was saying should be on the website, was not what was on the web site. I had to call and speak to a representative and of course the rep had an accent that was difficult to understand so that dragged it out, but we got it done. Good news was they ported my old number over to the new phone in about 10 minutes. As of now, I have two Virgin Mobile Accounts. The old one, which I let my girlfriend use and a the new one for me. I did not get into combining the two account into one account as by then I did not want to keep at it with the rep. Project for another time.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:04 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Chin up, John. It took me best part of a year to get the cable provider to admit that I'd cancelled service, stop billing me, adding horrendous late fees, and send a check for my $11.58 over-payment. I just wanted them gone.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:14 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,234,555 times
its hard being alone.

i need to win the lotto.

$ solves everything.

saw harry potter slippers i think i'm going to buy them. they are too cute.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
I love living alone but I am not alone. I have friends I socialize with. I have a young lady friend I see once a week or so and she sleeps over maybe one night a month.

I might could go for a bunk mate maybe one or two nights (at the most) a week, but no more. If it came to having a full time partner or staying alone, I would choose staying alone.

I love the freedom to come and go where and when I want to. Eat, sleep, drink, etc what and when I want to. Make the bed when I feel like it...........LOL

Old 01-06-2019, 10:02 AM

I like your thread over there, Suns.

LMAO, john, you are too funny!!

It was only 53° when I got up at 8:30 this morning! I still have my hoodie on and it's going on 11:30! I don't think it's that cold anymore but I still have it on. Gosh, I am getting to be a wussy Southerner!!! Now that I wrote about it, I took the hoodie off. Hmm, it's not warm!

I got my necklace a few days ago and I am not pleased. The pendant is beautiful but the sh*t chain is for the birds. That's what I get for buying on line I guess. It is SO thin and the clasp is SO tiny, I had to ask Linda to put it on for me after I struggled for half an hour. She then told me of a flea market that is open only on weekends and there is a vendor that sells chains by the inch. I went down yesterday after Linda took the dammed chain off for me and the lady found one of her chains that fit through the bale and she made me a chain with a lobster claw clasp. Granted, it's only 18k gold plating but it has a guarantee for life with it and if I break the chain she will repair for free. She told me so many people have the same problem with their chains now. It's a standard now for gold chains, especially buying on line. Not many normal people can afford solid gold chains anymore. So my rope I bought was a steal! Oh, I tried to put the pendant on my rope. Nope, too small. So instead of going back to the pawn shop, I went to the flea market for a "quick fix". Maybe some day I will get around to going. Maybe. As long as this chain doesn't turn my neck black, I will wear it. Only cost me $36 for a 24" chain and I can get it on and off over my head. I'm thinking of going back next weekend and having her make a 20" for the pendant. I think I would like it a bit more up on my neck. Maybe.

Oh, thank goodness the Christmas vacation is finally over!!! I just don't know how these school systems work down here!! These little bast*rds are always on a vacation or a day off from school it seems!! We 3 adults can not wait for tomorrow morning!! It has been hell.

Every time my Alexa can't answer my question, I then ask her why she is so stupid! She then tells me to go to the feedback section on the app!! Lmao. It's funny!

HAGD everyone.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:16 PM

I have about a dozen really nice pairs pairs of earnings that I don't wear.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I have about a dozen really nice pairs pairs of earnings that I don't wear.
I've given up on earrings, G. My fingers have so little feeling in them that I can't put the backs on them very well. It takes me an extraordinary amount of time to get them on. I have tried french hoop backs but they still give me problems. I gave up last week and bought two pair of 10k gold snuggies at Wally-World and managed to get them in and I just leave them. I have two holes in each ear.

My goodness, we are getting ready for 40° weather tonight and in the morning. Some counties may get below freezing! Not us fortunately. Today is nice. 67° right now. My kind of temperature. Beautiful sunshine, low temperatures.....perfect. Sometimes I like living down here. Considering the "real feel" of Plymouth is 34° right now, I am pleased to be down here. I'll be moaning and groaning pretty soon about how hot I am!!!

I saw a bald eagle yesterday!! We don't get to see many of them here. Ft. Myers has a bunch of them and very occasionally one will fly up this way and I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time to see that baby! Magnificent. Just magnificent. I see many huge birds on a daily basis but seeing a bald eagle is just so special.

The old man client that Ben's nursey gf, Trish, has been taking care of for years, died last Friday. She is very bummed. The guy was 104 years old!!!!! His mind was still together and his body was only a little frail. What stories he used to tell her! Too bad his time had to come.

Off to go get my smokes. HAGD everyone.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:44 AM

I did the Gerania thing a few minutes ago. There are a few guys doing some work on the road in front of my house. They're replacing underground cables. I walked outside and shouted, "Yo, what are you guy doing?" One of the guys came over and told me. I said, you're not from here. I said that. He's from Honduras, he has an excellent command of the English language, he's married, no kids. We exchanged first names and shook hands.

I have no idea why people answer my questions. He told me his wife's name and the town in which he lives. I guess that I just look so lame and defenseless that no one thinks that I could ever hurt them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning