Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 03:09 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I have had lots of deaths lately.My friends lost their uncle recently which was within 6 months of them losing their dad.Also, my other friend lost his grandfather recently. My friend at church had at least 2 relatives die recently.Also, this woman i grew up lost her grandmother a few days ago. Its just really sad.Thanks in advance y'all.My friends family member died of the flu.I am bummed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 04:27 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,723,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hello everyone,
I have had lots of deaths lately.My friends lost their uncle recently which was within 6 months of them losing their dad.Also, my other friend lost his grandfather recently. My friend at church had at least 2 relatives die recently.Also, this woman i grew up lost her grandmother a few days ago. Its just really sad.Thanks in advance y'all.My friends family member died of the flu.I am bummed out.
Most likely it was from pneumonia not the flu. People always have and always will die from pneumonia, typically secondary to other healthcare issues.

When someone has an operation do you know one of the reasons why they want to get them out of bed, moving, sitting up and doing deep breathing exercises asap? People who've had surgery tend not to want to deep breath and expand their lungs due to the pain. If you stay in bed, don't expand your lungs you could end up with pneumonia and die.

Old 03-01-2020, 04:35 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hello everyone,
I have had lots of deaths lately. My friends lost their uncle recently which was within 6 months of them losing their dad.Also, my other friend lost his grandfather recently. My friend at church had at least 2 relatives die recently.Also, this woman i grew up lost her grandmother a few days ago. Its just really sad.Thanks in advance y'all.My friends family member died of the flu.I am bummed out.
I appreciate that you can be sympathetic to your friends, but since not one of these deaths are directly linked to you, nor even to any of your relatives, I almost get the impression that you're "looking for trouble."

Old 03-01-2020, 07:09 PM

5,575 posts, read 6,500,449 times
It sounds like you are at the age where parents and their siblings are of the age to begin passing away. This happens as we age and come in large numbers if your friends are in your age bracket. The elders begin dying off.

You can feel bad for your friends, but I don't see any reason for you to "grieve" like they would at the loss of their family member. Now when it begins happening to your own family members.......

Old 03-01-2020, 10:15 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,323,847 times
The older you get... If you live long enough, everyone that you've known when you were in your 60s and 70s will be dead. My husband's grandmother died when she was 99 years old.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:06 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,644,982 times
By the time you are 50, and if you lived in the same medium plus size area most of your life, you will have some connection to a person that died just about everyday.

A friend, their parent, or children
A neighbor, their parent or their children.
A coworker, their parent or their children.
a business owner you always patronized, their parent, or their children.
a church member, their parent or their children.
That isn't counting relatives and their inlaws.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:54 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,062,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
"looking for trouble."
Paying interest on borrowed grief leaves little when the bill comes due.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:55 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,062,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
By the time you are 50, and if you lived in the same medium plus size area most of your life, you will have some connection to a person that died just about everyday.

A friend, their parent, or children
A neighbor, their parent or their children.
A coworker, their parent or their children.
a business owner you always patronized, their parent, or their children.
a church member, their parent or their children.
That isn't counting relatives and their inlaws.
I scan the obits, still didn't make the grade.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:41 AM

922 posts, read 790,814 times
Why is everyone saying the OP is using "borrowed" grief? It's possible the op knew some of these people. I have often been well acquainted with family member of my friends, spent time with them at family functions over the years, and grieved when they died. Some of these people I had known for decades. Does this mean I am not allowed to feel grief just because they weren't directly connected to me?

Old 03-03-2020, 08:08 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The older you get... If you live long enough, everyone that you've known when you were in your 60s and 70s will be dead. My husband's grandmother died when she was 99 years old.
On the other hand, it amazes me that so many of my mother's friends are still alive. She has several lifelong friends, all hovering around the 90 mark. She is in her own home, but many of them are in a couple of facilities nearby. She doesn't see them, but they call one another and talk now and then.

Of course, she has lost many, too, and all her siblings are gone even though she was the oldest. She still has a living uncle, though, her mother's youngest brother. He is 95. His children just recently put him into a facility because he's back to fighting the Germans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning