Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 10:17 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times

Advertisements

I wanted an obituary for my MIL. I would have gladly written it and paid for having it placed. I think having something in print for my spouse would have helped him in the grieving process.

But the family was against the idea and since I wasn't part of the family, I kept quiet.

I'm not sure but what we are the poorer for no longer observing old-fashioned rituals like graveside services and headstones. When someone is cremated and their ashes scattered, there is no physical focal point for grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 10:22 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,349 times
Obits are not free. You have to pay for them. And the more you want to say, the more they cost.

Official Legal notices for death, are a requirement for probate court if somebody had a significant estate to divy up, or somebody passed away without a will... or they left a lot of bills. That's not the same as the obit above, and yes it costs money too.

It would be trite to say: "it costs a lot of money to die".

If you're poor, dirt poor, indigent poor, tragically poor, you do without.

www.legacy.com is a fairly cheap option. It works/makes sense in the 21st Century.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:22 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
You can use this website to search for obits in other than local newspapers.

https://www.legacy.com/

Also can sign up for e-mail alerts based on names or city or employer or other keywords.

Listings go back to year 2000

FWIW, I have found branches of the family tree I didn't know existed.
You can`t read their obit on Legacy, unless you join for a fee.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:36 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I stand corrected. I thought a minimal death notice was a state requirement.
You might not be wrong. States have the right to have their own laws.

I know when I was younger in Pennsylvania, there was an actual section called vital statistics in the newspapers. For some reason I think it appeared on Thursday, and the vital statistics listed births that week, deaths, marriage license applications, divorces finalized — I think that was it.

But it was information that was gleaned in some way. You couldn’t not have it in there. My thinking was it was like a county issued bulletin because all those things go through the county courthouse.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:51 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I wanted an obituary for my MIL. I would have gladly written it and paid for having it placed. I think having something in print for my spouse would have helped him in the grieving process.

But the family was against the idea and since I wasn't part of the family, I kept quiet.

I'm not sure but what we are the poorer for no longer observing old-fashioned rituals like graveside services and headstones. When someone is cremated and their ashes scattered, there is no physical focal point for grief.
DH and I, are going to be cremated, but we will have a bench, at our favorite beach, with our names on it.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:16 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,099 times
My mother passed away age 93 last August. Among the details we discussed was having an obit in the paper. As mentioned it was relatively expensive & unlike in years past getting a physical paper now is going the way of the dodo. Neither me or my brothers or any grandkids get a newspaper, I think one brother & myself are the only ones to actually read any news (online) at all.

We didn't feel it was worth the cost and effort as it was "in the old days" since hardly anyone would see it anyway, except for some of her contemporaries who would get the news from telephone callers. We put a notice and photos on her Facebook page which reached almost everyone she knew or their kids/grandkids who shared the info & were then able to add their comments & remembrances to her page.

I'm not the biggest fan of FB but have come to the conclusion there are a few things it is good for & spreading information about something real is where FB has the most people gathered now.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:29 AM

9,119 posts, read 6,165,173 times
No charge for obit here, but opted not to have one for my DH. Family and friends were called; everyone else, who cares? No need for others to know my business.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:33 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,762,172 times
Many times, findagrave.com has obituaries or mini-obituaries. However, someone has to add them to the memorial page of the deceased. Often, users can upload photographs and sometimes, it is a scan/photo of a newspaper obit. No charge to read, or research. It's a good site for genealogical research.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-12-2021, 11:37 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,722 times
My husband and I will not have obituaries, or traditional funerals either. No interest in either.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:21 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,542 times
If you want some fun, listen to some of the smaller radio stations from Ireland (many accessible via the web) daily around noontime, Ireland time. They read off the recent, local deaths, some with a mini obits. It's quite interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning