Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 07:19 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I assume that they meant $900 for being printed one day in the newspaper.
Ours is not really a local newspaper; it covers greater Los Angeles, but it's over $1,000 to place an obituary, which we found when our mother died. I don't know what the local papers here charge. I assume that this is the reason that many obituaries aren't run, which is disappointing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 08:08 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
That's a real problem I never even thought of - the accuracy of the obituary will be dependent on who writes it and with divorces and remarriages, the last spouse or surviving children will have the final say. Can you have competing obituaries printed by different family members?

I was listed in an obituary with an incorrect last name. It wasn't just a spelling error, it was a whole different name. Nothing malicious was meant by it but the family was in deep mourning so I never mentioned it.
Yes, you can. My mother had a very simple obituary local to her, listing all her children’s names. My aunt wrote one to place in their old hometown paper where she still lives. Because “the people there wouldn’t understand”, she listed me under my married name. At that point I had been married 30 some years and have never taken my husbands name, but dear heavens they wouldn’t understand that.... so in one spot I have my husband’s name.

As someone who does genealogy, obituaries are very nice things to have, but they are very emotional documents, and I tend to not consider them as primary sources if that makes sense. And you have to understand I’m coming from a spot where I actually put my mother-in-law‘s wrong middle name on my husband’s death certificate. So generations gone are going to be looking his up his death certificate and say Bertha Rose Magillicuddy.

When you’re dealing with people, you’re going to have people issues. I was stunned that I had to fill out practically everything on my husband’s death certificate so I didn’t check I just wanted to get it done. And it’s like the 1930 census, when they asked my grandfather the names of all the children. My mother had been born not quite three years before, and as the only girl they all called her sister. When pressed for a name my grandfather was at a loss and said Emma. That’s his mothers name. Every once in a while I have somebody in the family email me and say who is this Emma? Even when they try to be accurate people just can’t.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:36 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Because “the people there wouldn’t understand”, she listed me under my married name. At that point I had been married 30 some years and have never taken my husbands name, but dear heavens they wouldn’t understand that.... so in one spot I have my husband’s name.
My father-in-law's obit didn't list his children's spouses. So my husband and children were listed and I wasn't. It appears my children sprung out of thin air.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:27 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My father-in-law's obit didn't list his children's spouses. So my husband and children were listed and I wasn't. It appears my children sprung out of thin air.
That's so messed up if the son's are still married. Who wrote his obituary?

Old 02-24-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That's so messed up if the son's are still married. Who wrote his obituary?

His mother and never-married sister and his divorced sister. His nephew's wife wasn't mentioned either. There was also pictures at the wake which included everyone but the in-laws.

It's messed up alright. In my mother's obit, we made a great effort to include the in-laws.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:05 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Well, I want a funeral with a visitation, food, a bar, and plenty of time to chat for all the guests. No cremation , please, I want my plot of dirt and an upright granite marker that can been seen and read from the road. Plant me near the cemetery road so nobody has to walk a long way, and make a bench part of my marker so whoever can sit comfortably and ponder my life and their mortality. Make it comfortable so people will stick around for a few more minutes.
Really I'd prefer to be slid into a mausoleum. I'd hate to still be alive and be buried...that's one of those fears in my soul!

Old 02-24-2021, 06:12 PM

3,264 posts, read 1,745,602 times
I'd think some folks would post it on face book. I don't use it so I wouldn't know.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:53 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I am pretty sure that the inclusion of spouses on obits wasn't always done. Because I remember the first time I saw something like, "He is survived by his son Charles (Denise), daughter Mary Jones (Scott)....etc.", I couldn't figure out what was going on. But yes, it's very standard nowadays.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:12 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Since when ?

I've been using it for over 10 years with no fees. Searching is free.

https://www.legacy.com/search does not even need a sign-in.
A search on Legacy.com only lists name/date of death and a button to View Result that takes me to Ancestry.com which is not a free service for me. Of course I can start a "free trial" with a credit card but I don't like to do that since it's often annoying trying to cancel free trials.

OP, do you have a paid subscription to Ancestry.com? Is that why you can search for free and get obits?

Old 03-07-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
"He is survived by his son Charles (Denise), daughter Mary Jones (Scott)....etc.", I couldn't figure out what was going on. But yes, it's very standard nowadays.
Just saying I didn't even get a (YorktownGal). It was his son, Daugher, Daughter, grandchildren x, y, z.

Not that I'm bitter or anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning