Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 12:24 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,210 times

Advertisements

When DH died I wrote an obituary for the closest big-city paper. It ran something like $425 for 200 words. Darn good thing I didn't add a picture! He was a journalism major and would have wanted it; his friends were in the area and around the same age (78) and I knew they'd appreciate it. I also sent a copy of the paper to his brother, who hadn't been able to make it here from California.

I was mildly disgruntled when the local freebie paper picked it up; I suppose they had an agreement with Big City Paper that they could publish obits for anyone from our town. I guess I felt like I write it, I paid for it and they got to use it.

When my Ex died he was penniless but there was a tiny item in the paper in the state where he died so maybe some states do require it. When Mom died, Dad chose a very brief obituary in the local paper but included the name of the funeral home. The funeral home published a much longer obituary on their site as part of their services. I gave the local funeral home the full text of DH's obituary for their site and included a picture of him drinking the local beer in Reykjavik.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 12:49 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Strangest thing, in the obits, is when you see your name...

Old 02-12-2021, 12:57 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
No charge for obit here, but opted not to have one for my DH. Family and friends were called; everyone else, who cares? No need for others to know my business.
That too. My dad died in 1981, and it was a big funeral. And what people did back then, is they had a big spread laid out at the house afterwards. But one or two people from the church, or friends of the family, stayed behind at the house.

Because the time of the funeral and the burial was laid out in the obituary, it wasn’t uncommon to have house break ins when everybody was at the funeral. So the old hometown solution was somebody stayed in the house during the funeral.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:15 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times
What is interesting is if you look through older newspapers the obituaries were much more to the point than some more recent ones. "Mr. Fred Smith, of Farmtown, died on March 15th, 1941. Survivors are his wife, Bertha of the home and son Billy of Silo. The funeral will take place at Union Church at 2 PM on March 21st."

Some of the "high status" obituaries now include so much flowery language (which is fine if the family wants it, I suppose), but it almost reads more like a résumé and includes details like "Fred was an extremely successful businessman with an extensive 401K investment account that he enjoyed using for country club dues and trips to his weekend villas in the Cayman Islands and Bora Bora, where he competed in Iron Man competitions and won "Top Iron Man" on his 90th birthday" (okay not really, but close). But for some people, it's like that competitiveness even follows them in death in their obituary.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:17 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Many times, findagrave.com has obituaries or mini-obituaries. However, someone has to add them to the memorial page of the deceased. Often, users can upload photographs and sometimes, it is a scan/photo of a newspaper obit. No charge to read, or research. It's a good site for genealogical research.
Yes, I was just looking at my father's findagrave.com entry a few days ago.

No mention of his first or second wives, only the third one (the drunk). No mention that he had two children with the second wife. Not really a surprise as he went to great lengths to avoid having anything to do with his children.

But I'm sure the entry was the doing of the drunk's adult children. No mention that she drank herself to death: internal bleeding from alcoholism. Wouldn't want to admit that.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:20 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That too. My dad died in 1981, and it was a big funeral. And what people did back then, is they had a big spread laid out at the house afterwards.
My father passed in 2000. The mourners, quite a large group, went to a Chinese restaurant afterwards. I bought lunch for everyone.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:22 PM

274 posts, read 237,502 times
My husband and I want inexpensive cremation and no obituaries. We've left explicit instructions for those we leave behind, and they are well aware we don't want the funeral industry or anyone else making money from our passing.

However, when I was growing up, our local newspaper had a section where they published all public information from the courthouse. Birth certificates, death certificates, marriage licenses, and divorce filings. Oh, and real estate transactions.

A publication could still possibly get away with publishing what I've listed above, I don't know. But this paper also published the names of who was admitted and who was discharged from the local hospitals. That definitely wouldn't be allowed today.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:36 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
I remember my grandparents wakes when I was little. They were two days, from 2-4 and 7-9. The funeral was in church, then the cemetary......then we all would go to a restaurant, have brunch.....with drinks of course. Back then I think funerals cost just as much as weddings.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:49 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Default Huh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
You can`t read their obit on Legacy, unless you join for a fee.
Since when ?

I've been using it for over 10 years with no fees. Searching is free.

https://www.legacy.com/search does not even need a sign-in.

If you want alerts on new names etc, that does require a sign-in and setup, but still no fee.

From https://www.legacy.com/obit-messenger/help.aspx#q7

"How much does ObitMessengerâ„¢ cost?
ObitMessengerâ„¢ is a free service."

Old 02-12-2021, 02:00 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
What is interesting is if you look through older newspapers the obituaries were much more to the point than some more recent ones. "Mr. Fred Smith, of Farmtown, died on March 15th, 1941. Survivors are his wife, Bertha of the home and son Billy of Silo. The funeral will take place at Union Church at 2 PM on March 21st."

Some of the "high status" obituaries now include so much flowery language (which is fine if the family wants it, I suppose), but it almost reads more like a résumé and includes details like "Fred was an extremely successful businessman with an extensive 401K investment account that he enjoyed using for country club dues and trips to his weekend villas in the Cayman Islands and Bora Bora, where he competed in Iron Man competitions and won "Top Iron Man" on his 90th birthday" (okay not really, but close). But for some people, it's like that competitiveness even follows them in death in their obituary.
The "Not so humble" obits! We see some here in the Chicago area that are doozies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Grief and Mourning