Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Social Groups
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Social Group
This is a public group.

Retired Singles

Group Created by ConeyIsBabe

Now that you have retired from work, either because of years/age eligibility or health issues, what do you plan on doing the rest of your life? It's easier when you have a built-in support system as a married couple, but starting a new life as a single person is more daunting. Do you plan on relocation? Where? How do you make new friends? Let's share ideas. Are you counting the days to retirement? Wannabees are welcome to join this social group and share your concerns. Please post something to keep our group on the top of the list. Please post your favorite photos !

View All Members Showing 10 of 116 Member(s)
Showing 5 of 9 Picture(s)
Showing Social Group Messages 101 to 110 of 240
  1. karibear
    11-10-2008 06:11 PM - permalink
    karibear
    Hi bluecrab, I didn't stock up anticipating retirement, but I've always been the frugal, pay as you go type. There was a brief time when I had no real choice but to use credit cards [depressing story], but for the most part they are paid off now. I tend to buy used stuff whenever possible, and recycle what ever I can. I have enough clothing to turn into a dozen quilts, and still not run out! I also cook from scratch, and buy in bulk whenever possible. I have a grain grinder and a bunch of totally unnecessary but fun kitchen appliances. Since I'm living on social security, the main thing I did was get rid of my place in WA where the COL was going up almost daily, and move to another state where I can actually afford to live. Since I can't see well enough to drive any more, every place I need to go is within walking distance, so I have no car insurance or rising gas costs to worry about, just utilities and groceries. And my mortgage payment is lower than the space rent I had in WA.
  2. quiet walker
    11-10-2008 11:41 AM - permalink
    quiet walker
    Hi and thanks ConeyIsBabe
  3. quiet walker
    11-10-2008 11:40 AM - permalink
    quiet walker
    bluecrab, yes I stocked up... On items I looked forward to using for my model trains hobby. I love craft (spent a lot of time watching my father and grandfather in their workshops) and anticipated finally having time to work on things I liked to do. You know what's funny though. All this time I've been waiting, seems like I'm a generation short. Just as I was to start on my trains, the last of the local hobby shops closed. Reason given "Nobody wants to build or make anything anymore." And there were declining sales. Then I went to the library, very much looking forward to finally having the time to read. And I found a much reduced selection of books from when I was there last (they had those wood cabinets with the little drawers and cards ). The librarian said that fewer people want books anymore, they want DVD's instead. Does anyone else here have this experience?
  4. ConeyIsBabe
    11-10-2008 10:09 AM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    bluecrab...... that's a great question. My answer is NO - with an explanation.

All during my working years I lived a very frugal life (with the occasional extravagance of Bruno Magli shoes). I brown-bagged my lunches, I maxed out my employer deferred-tax retirement plan, I purchased most of my clothing at Thrift Shops, never bought fancy electronics or big-screen TVs, never upgraded my house (except when the roof leaked)......... drove the same car, frugal to the max! Then, after retirement, I moved from the big city to a small town where the price of my teeny-tiny city home bought my Oregon 4-acre country home and the cost of living is very affordable.

YES, there are many ways to downsize after retirement but it helps to live in an area that is very affordable, like mine = the Rogue Valley and Evans Valley in s/Oregon - Grants Pass, Medford, and surrounding small towns.
  5. bluecrab
    11-10-2008 03:49 AM - permalink
    bluecrab
    I'm glad to see our little group growing!
    burt43-I'm not a fan of cold weather so NH wouldn't work for me.
    I have a question for all of you who are retired. Is there anything you bought or stocked up on in anticipation of retirement? I have 238 days left(will it ever get here?). For example, so far I've bought some undies(sorry guys) and socks on sale. I plan to get more at the next sale. I also thought I'd extend my magazine subscriptions. I want to buy now while I have the big teacher salary(LOL). New tires for my car. Is there anything you did to cut expenses for retirement before you actually retired?
    Thanks! Love this group!
  6. ConeyIsBabe
    11-09-2008 04:27 PM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    WELCOME quiet walker !

I know what it's like to start over again..... did exactly that when I relocated from Miami FL to 3,000 miles west ! I left behind 30+ years of friends and in the last 5 years haven't made any new ones since moving to my small town; but, that's my fault for not trying very hard
  7. quiet walker
    11-09-2008 01:51 PM - permalink
    quiet walker
    Hello everyone. What a great idea for a group. I retired a couple of years ago and have had one of those lives that are ripped out by the roots a few times. Now starting over again. But I'm used to that
  8. nancy thereader
    11-08-2008 03:11 PM - permalink
    nancy thereader Moderator
    Gosh, thank you , bluecrab and coney. It's great of you to remember.

And, I agree about New Hampshire, beautiful in summer, spring and especially fall, but really really cold in winter. The older I get, the more I want to be warm.
  9. karibear
    11-08-2008 08:31 AM - permalink
    karibear
    burt, I wouldn't like it. Too cold in the winter. Fall may be beautiful with all the colors, but after 3 decades in AK, I want 4 seasons with a mild winter. And space for all my critters, which I don't think I'd have there, or at least I couldn't afford it. I also can't drive, so everywhere I go has to be within walking distance.
  10. ConeyIsBabe
    11-07-2008 09:57 AM - permalink
    ConeyIsBabe
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY NANCY

I hope all your birthday wishes come true

P.S. The Birthday ROSE is for you !