Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Where are you from....the lowest I've seen here (still there) at a store right now and it is close to $900 here in Huntsville AL.....and it did not look that good...

And these are Browning Hi-Powers?

Belgium and Inglis (Collectible, one of those was my 2nd most expensive one... $400 mint with belt and holster)

Picked that one up in Mobile.

Not saying that they are all over, but they are VERY doable.

And they are 'more over' now with the recent batch imported.

Here's a good place to do some reading:
Browning Hi Power
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 12:44 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,195 times
Quote:
I'm not going to spend $800 plus on a pistol....thats just out of my range....
$800 is exactly how much I paid for my Colt "New Agent" 1911. But I had to part with a darling of a Sig .40 first. I can't afford a collection, so I like to trade & upgrade.

I wouldn't pay less than $500, though. The old cliche is true: you get what you pay for. Check out a gun show if they have those wherever you are, and go later in the afternoon on the last day of show when guys are ready to unload thier leftover inventory (no pun intended).

Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Please forgive the thread drift, but what .22lr ammo is best these days?
There is no pat answer to that question. Different rifles (and pistols as well, although few can shoot a pistol so well as to tell the difference) will group tighter with different ammo.

If you want the most accurate .22 rimfire ammo you can get, it's probably Eley, not too commonly found, and quite expensive.

I generally buy any good name brand .22 that's on sale at the local Bi-Mart, no dissapointments.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:21 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,914,585 times
Default As to Browning hi-Powers...

These, made in Canada by Inglis I believe, were the issue sidearm when I was in the Canuck Army. Very sliick operating, reliable and for the most part semi-accurate, though of course the 9mm is never going to be too effective. And back then (1967 or so) we didn't have any'them dang-fangled high-fallotin' performance bullets, no sirree, sonny! Why... if'n we missed the enemy with our ,308 NATO FN-CALs, why... we hopped on over to his foxhole, and chewed his head off!" Mighta even et it fur dinner!

etc etc yada yada yada.

I did enjoy that I could check out about 200 rounds of 9mm or .308 ammo in the evenings on base and saunter down to the range and plink away to my heart's content. I wonder if you can do that in anyone's army these days? Likely not in the Canadian, since there's probably a bespectacled but camo-dressed Toronto-based accountant standing by picking up the spent rounds so he can have them reloaded.

(BTW, now I'm a certified, legally immigrated ["What's that, mommy?"] American. And danged proud of it too.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,712 times
Jeeze, I love these gun and ammo posts! What thrills me most is the emphasis on owning a handgun, the feelings of security,
that come with the privelege of having that measure of protection, tucked in your waistband or strapped to your side, the premise
that we agree to the protectors of our own lives, the right to ensure a way to sustain our own lives, is the crux of the issue. We can
opt to put our faith in law enforcement, to subscribe to a school of thought that has these authorities as all inclusive, the beginning
and the end of all things. Guns were never meant to be anything more than instruments of death. It's not like there is any reasonable
benefit from blowing a wad of lead out of a tube with the purpose of killing, crippling or disabling the party who found themselves in the
crosshairs of destruction.
This country has arrived at a time where a handgun is as smart as a cellphone. If you choose to live your life on the edge, why
would it matter whether you sought to have protection or not? Somewhere beyond the caliber, the bore and the muzzle velocity, comes
the question: "Am I ready to take a life". When you travel with guns, this is a question that you really need to answer. As for me?
I've come to my own deduction: The gun is an extension of the penis, a statement of macho which is not too unlike those Peacocks who
puff-out their feathers, strut themselves and seem to be saying from their passive niche, Screw-U-2.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Jeeze, I love these gun and ammo posts! What thrills me most is the emphasis on owning a handgun, the feelings of security,
that come with the privelege of having that measure of protection, tucked in your waistband or strapped to your side, the premise
that we agree to the protectors of our own lives, the right to ensure a way to sustain our own lives, is the crux of the issue. We can
opt to put our faith in law enforcement, to subscribe to a school of thought that has these authorities as all inclusive, the beginning
and the end of all things. Guns were never meant to be anything more than instruments of death. It's not like there is any reasonable
benefit from blowing a wad of lead out of a tube with the purpose of killing, crippling or disabling the party who found themselves in the
crosshairs of destruction.
This country has arrived at a time where a handgun is as smart as a cellphone. If you choose to live your life on the edge, why
would it matter whether you sought to have protection or not? Somewhere beyond the caliber, the bore and the muzzle velocity, comes
the question: "Am I ready to take a life". When you travel with guns, this is a question that you really need to answer. As for me?
I've come to my own deduction: The gun is an extension of the penis, a statement of macho which is not too unlike those Peacocks who
puff-out their feathers, strut themselves and seem to be saying from their passive niche, Screw-U-2.
Just to be sure I have this straight; Rather than take an adult approach and not (supposedly) read through an entire thread largely dedicated to little other than the mechanics and practicality of different types of firearms you opted for a different approach.

You decided to (supposedly) read the thread, even though it dealt with an inanimate object you obviously hate and fear. The contents of the thread got you so worked up you were compelled to make a lengthy, totally off topic, vitriolic post castigating others that fail to share your hate and fear.

Aside from letting us all know that when you are worked up you fixate on male genitalia (not that there's anything wrong with that but it's way more personal information than I needed) was there a constructive purpose to your rant?

Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,105,856 times
Default What you think of this pistol????

Quote:
here is a 9mm that beats a 45...yes these are store bought loads...I know that hand loads can improve quality....

9mm MUZZ. 50 YDS. MUZZ. 50 YDS.

158 FMJ 950 914 317 293

230FMJ 780 720 310 265
When you are speaking of muzzle velocity or velocity at 50 yards there are many others that beat a 45 ACP, a 22 magnum does, probably even a 22 LR would. But velocity is no measure of a cartridges usefulness for anyone except the uninformed... The military would not be considering going back to the 45 ACP if the 9 MM was so darn good. Like I have said else where, ask your friendly Medical Examiner what works and what hurts.

But to answer the OP's question "what do you think of this pistol"? my answer is "not much".

Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
Quote:
,,,When you travel with guns, this is a question that you really need to answer. As for me?
I've come to my own deduction: The gun is an extension of the penis, a statement of macho which is not too unlike those Peacocks who puff-out their feathers, strut themselves and seem to be saying from their passive niche, Screw-U-2.
You are intitled to your opinion. What you might should have said is "I've come to my own deduction: The gun is an extension of MY penis"

I obvious point here is we are discussing tools that we use. Maybe you have a slanted view imposed on you from the New York culture.
I for one did shoot a intruder in my home 25 years ago. Crime happens, and it happens to good people. Better to be well trained than deceased.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:43 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
There is no pat answer to that question. Different rifles (and pistols as well, although few can shoot a pistol so well as to tell the difference) will group tighter with different ammo.

If you want the most accurate .22 rimfire ammo you can get, it's probably Eley, not too commonly found, and quite expensive.

I generally buy any good name brand .22 that's on sale at the local Bi-Mart, no dissapointments.
I wasn't specific enough, sorry. I am interested in what you have found to be the most reliable, the least likely not to fire. Accuracy is not the issue, but rather the reliability of the primer. It's for a .22 auto pistol that will be a concealed carry. I know it's not big enough and I know it should be a centerfire, please don't jump on me! I just want it to fire.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:53 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times
Quote:
comes
the question: "Am I ready to take a life".
When I was young and foolish I had the notion that I would prefer to die myself rather than take another man's life. Vietnam cured me of that. I now take the position that as a law abiding member of society and my family's sole provider, my life is worth more than that of some thug who would intentionally do harm.

Luke 22:36

But, back to the thread: my dream hand gun is a Walther P88C. Someday, I'll get lucky and find a good one at a good price. For now, I'll have to be content with a Glock 19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting