Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:10 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Which would you choose....
I like the Hi-Power a lot, but there are so many good DA autos out now that I'd have to choose one of those over the Browning. Being able to just pull the trigger on the first round instead of pulling back the hammer first could be the difference between staying alive or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:26 AM

46,267 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I wasn't specific enough, sorry. I am interested in what you have found to be the most reliable, the least likely not to fire. Accuracy is not the issue, but rather the reliability of the primer. It's for a .22 auto pistol that will be a concealed carry. I know it's not big enough and I know it should be a centerfire, please don't jump on me! I just want it to fire.
You will have to see what works....nothing can be 100% all the time....

But, the .22 mini mag CCI's they are a little pricey.....and have not seen many mis fires with them...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Just to be sure I have this straight; Rather than take an adult approach and not (supposedly) read through an entire thread largely dedicated to little other than the mechanics and practicality of different types of firearms you opted for a different approach.

You decided to (supposedly) read the thread, even though it dealt with an inanimate object you obviously hate and fear. The contents of the thread got you so worked up you were compelled to make a lengthy, totally off topic, vitriolic post castigating others that fail to share your hate and fear.

Aside from letting us all know that when you are worked up you fixate on male genitalia (not that there's anything wrong with that but it's way more personal information than I needed) was there a constructive purpose to your rant?
I would have just said....

Go troll somewhere else....

But I do like your response....

and this one...

Quote:
You are intitled to your opinion. What you might should have said is "I've come to my own deduction: The gun is an extension of MY penis"

I obvious point here is we are discussing tools that we use. Maybe you have a slanted view imposed on you from the New York culture.
I for one did shoot a intruder in my home 25 years ago. Crime happens, and it happens to good people. Better to be well trained than deceased.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
When you are speaking of muzzle velocity or velocity at 50 yards there are many others that beat a 45 ACP, a 22 magnum does, probably even a 22 LR would. But velocity is no measure of a cartridges usefulness for anyone except the uninformed... The military would not be considering going back to the 45 ACP if the 9 MM was so darn good. Like I have said else where, ask your friendly Medical Examiner what works and what hurts.

But to answer the OP's question "what do you think of this pistol"? my answer is "not much".
I understand....

Look at it like this...

If I hit you with a 28 ounce wood baseball bat at full speed....
or a 34 ounce at 3rd speed...is it the same?

I know those are way out there....theroies....

Either way, keep um coming guys....

Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I wouldn't pay less than $500, though.
Original price is $650...they are close out....does that change your mind?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
When you are speaking of muzzle velocity or velocity at 50 yards there are many others that beat a 45 ACP, a 22 magnum does, probably even a 22 LR would. But velocity is no measure of a cartridges usefulness for anyone except the uninformed... The military would not be considering going back to the 45 ACP if the 9 MM was so darn good. Like I have said else where, ask your friendly Medical Examiner what works and what hurts.

But to answer the OP's question "what do you think of this pistol"? my answer is "not much".
Well, I have only been retired from the Army for jsut over a year and I have not heard anything from the front lines they are going to or even attempting to go back to the .45.

Do you have some links to back you up....

BTW, I'm not just talking everyday front units either...

Old 02-11-2011, 06:51 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
Fact is ALOT more people are shot & killed with 9MM than 45 in the civilian world, probably the military world too by now. Its been around about as long as the 45, maybe longer. The biggest thing against the 9Mm is America's bigger is better attitude. I succumb to it myself in many ways & thats why I hunt with a 45/70 when 30-06 is the more accepted caliber, its just what I like, but thats not to say that a smaller high velocity caliber is no good. Will a 45 hit harder, sure it will, but either is plenty for most of what we do & if the difference is ammo cost and the ability to practice IMO you are better off with a 22 you can shoot daily than a 45 you can shoot once a month. Then theres simple shootability, almost any body can shoot a 9 acurately, a 45 takes more technique & skill to hit with. The military is constantly looking for new & better things, talking to returning soldiers I havent heard any complain about either the 9MM or the 223, both guns often lamented by guys no longer in & people who read too much.

At any rate, as long as I could look at the gun & decide for myself if its what I wanted I might buy one. Its been recomended to me by more than one 1911 guy as a good entry 1911 thats easy to acessorize. Theres snobs everywhere, especially in the gun world. I dont buy into snobbery much. I'd look at one, shoot it if I could & base my decision on the gun in my hand.

Last edited by Tin Knocker; 02-11-2011 at 07:13 AM..

Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Quote:
I like the Hi-Power a lot... Being able to just pull the trigger on the first round instead of pulling back the hammer first could be the difference between staying alive or not.
I've never shot a Browning Hi-Power, but wouldn't you carry it cocked & locked, like a 1911?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:30 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Well, I have only been retired from the Army for jsut over a year and I have not heard anything from the front lines they are going to or even attempting to go back to the .45.

Do you have some links to back you up....

BTW, I'm not just talking everyday front units either...

REALLY? You were in and didn't hear about the Military Forces Joint Combat Pistol trials.
Joint Combat Pistol Search Plods Along

Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
I like the Hi-Power a lot, but there are so many good DA autos out now that I'd have to choose one of those over the Browning. Being able to just pull the trigger on the first round instead of pulling back the hammer first could be the difference between staying alive or not.
God and John Browning Intended the Hi power (Ok, and Saive) to be carried Cocked and Locked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting