Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times

Advertisements

Well, I guess folks here took this statement one way and you meant it differently. As you can tell, many firearm owners are very sensitive to certain statements AND we totally understand why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
People who would store their firearms and ammo together really need to rethink that. Many states have laws that forbid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We live in an apt complex and have our gun case, accessories and ammo in the closet of a spare bedroom......can not have gun case sitting in "public view" like the living room (complex policy). A pest-control tech came into our apt a couple of weeks ago, I was home, and he checked out the spare bedroom and its closet where the gun case, accessories/ammo are at. I told him the closet is the only place we can have this stuff. He told me that his wife has a handgun, but he wants her to give it to her brother........he doesn't like guns, apparently. He asked me, since guns/ammo are stored in the same places by most folks (I guess), "what would you do if a fire broke out in your apartment around the ammunition?" I really didn't know what to say to him! When we owned a house, we had our ammo locked up in the bottom of the gun case we have right now and that is where the ammo still is. We do keep 2 loaded clips of .22's sitting inside the gun case for the Ruger rifle we have and 2 loaded clips of .22's sitting inside for the Sig Sauer handgun.
Anyone one here think about fire and ammo storage? We are keeping the ammo right where its at.
Free ammunition that cooks off is not as dangerous as ammunition fired from a gun. The heavy part of a .22 rimfire is the bullet; if it is placed in a fire and allowed to detonate the light-weight brass casing will be the "fast" projectile and it will not have enough mass or velocity to be a credible threat to anything other than eyeballs, lips and dental veneers. If a box of ammunition is in the closet with the door closed and a fire breaks out around it, I seriously doubt that the door and walls would fail to contain any cooking detonations. I really don't think the risk is as great as it may seem to a pest-control tech without practical knowledge of internal, external or terminal ballistics.

Just make sure your apartment doesn't burn down.

Keeping the ammo in the safe would eliminate the whole problem, of course.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, I guess folks here took this statement one way and you meant it differently. As you can tell, many firearm owners are very sensitive to certain statements AND we totally understand why!

I have always said that while the internet is a good way to communicate it is most often the hardest, you can not see the person's face, mannerisms etc....A LOT of assumptions are made when chatting on the internet and we shouldn't do that.

Being passionate about our second amendment rights is one thing, dragging someone through the mud is another (based on assumptions etc). Guess it boils down to the type of person. It's all good though, no worries.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Leaving helpful information for people that ask questions is one thing, but making ridiculous statements or arguing with a known, and very well trained firearm's user, is quite another. I don't think any of us want to run other's off, but we also stand up for what we believe in. Again I might add: Anyone that thinks it is okay for our government to make laws against ammo storage in our homes is sick. There is no need ever to store ammo and firearms in separate locations, maybe under lock and key, never separately.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:02 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Leaving helpful information for people that ask questions is one thing, but making ridiculous statements or arguing with a known, and very well trained firearm's user, is quite another. I don't think any of us want to run other's off, but we also stand up for what we believe in. Again I might add: Anyone that thinks it is okay for our government to make laws against ammo storage in our homes is sick. There is no need ever to store ammo and firearms in separate locations, maybe under lock and key, never separately.

No one has said that they support such a ammo storage law.
And no one is arguing, we each state our thoughts and POV's, one's training/background is irrelivant being that we all can post.
Like I said being passionate about the second amendment is one thing, dragging others through the mud based on an assumption or because they may or may not agree is another!!

Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Perhaps, YOU are being a bit to sensitive now! As for me, I think that the training/background a person has with firearms is extremely valuable. I done a Thread here asking about a fires affectness to ammo and have learned about it and say "thank you" to those who contributed info to my Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
No one has said that they support such a ammo storage law.
And no one is arguing, we each state our thoughts and POV's, one's training/background is irrelivant being that we all can post.
Like I said being passionate about the second amendment is one thing, dragging others through the mud based on an assumption or because they may or may not agree is another!!

Old 07-19-2011, 06:56 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
If the 'case' is a netal box, but not air tight, if there is a fire the guns wll burn and be ruined. If ammo is in there it will cook off as HW says. When it does it just pops and the brass is what flies a few feet.

I have more guns than the 18 gun cabinet can hold, so no ammo is in it. If the house burns I loose the guns. (bummer) My ammo is in Mil surplus air tight boxes, and in a fire these are a bomb. Other black power which I have a lot of, is a weak bomb, being in oem metal containers.

This place had best not burn I guess.

I got a few guns loaded all the time, and of those with one in the pipe, in a fire that one is gonna be moving, but i doubt any thing bad will happen. The rest will cook off, and pop, being harmless.

I tell a rat man there for vermin, to mind his own bee's wax. Or scalp him.

LOL a few years ago working on a paint crw as the ram rod my guys found a Wasser 10 Ak clone and came to me all wide eyed. I told em move the gun, so no paint gets on it move everything else in that closet and get the job done. Just don't play with the safety or the trigger.

The job got done, and upon leaving I made sure that gun was just like it had been, leaning in the closet.

A safe made to last 2 hours in a house fire full of ammo is a bomb, if there is enough ammo in it, and the fire passes 2 hours.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM

I got red and green dot for shotguns in cardboard oem containers, but Black powder comes in cans, metal cans. Flinters won't run of the other new so called syn black powwders. I use GOEX mostly, and am working up my own. I have no access to the sulfer compounds or the niters here naturally, so have pharmisuticals. The char is a no brainer with alders by the brook. I keep some of this in coolers in a shed, brass and shot shell are in air tight ammo boxes in the house. If I took all the ammo I have for everything, and put that in the 18 gun locker it might just fit. No mags would though probably, maybe little .45 acp mags, but not the AK mags.

If this house burns none of that will matter anymore. It will be gone.

Around here the Volunteer FD hasn't lost a cellar hole yet!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:13 PM

Oh yeah the cans are like what a pint of paint thinner comes in. A book like size thin steel can with a screw top. In a fire the can would cook off, but in a ammo box it would be a bomb. Mine is in no ammo box for that stuff. I am not that crazy.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 AM

Pyrodex refuses to burn in a flintlock. May as well try to fire a lead ball down range with corn starch, or baby powder. Won't work. If that is about all one has then still he must have a little real black powder and create pain in the butt duplex loads. That would be apx 10 grains of the black first, then the rest of the charge as Pyrodex, and prime the pan with real black.

I do use FFg and FFFg, and even FFFFg Goex.

2F is course powder suitable for 50 cal and larger bore rifles.
3F is suitable for pistols, six shooters, and small bore rifles like my .40 .
4F is suitabe for small bore pistols and primer in flintlocks.

There are other grain sizes for use in cannon and larger bores than .75.

Yes you are quite right open black powder dumped on the ground or some other surface is first hard to light with a match and once you get it burning it just flashes. A big WOOF of a flash.

Cow Horn containing a pound of the stuff will just flash off, and while the wearer of a cow horn full will be burned proabably, he will live to suffer the burn. I have never seen a powder horn go off yet.

I am not sure why either, since I shoot lefty, but load like a righty and have caught the cotton fring on 1761 fashion frock coat fring at my sleeve end on fire and still used the powder horn to charge measures and the like.

The only way I know my frock is on fire is everyone else who noticed is running away! I don't have that coat anymore but because I wore it to bare threads and it fell off me.

I have 2 six shooters one is EMF clone of the 1860 Colt Army takin' a .451 ball. The other is a Ruger Old Army (ain't nuthin old about it) and it takes a .457 ball. I could use Pyrodex in them, but I don't.

Once I had too many BP guns, and had too many sizes of round ball all too close in sizes and i would end up at a shoot and have the wrong size ball. I sold off those guns to get a spread of round ball I could see by eye and know what it was.

Last Fall I sold off the moulds too..... So I can't get into any more trouble with the wrong round ball.

I had a gun as an example that shot 440 and 441 each so the 440 would work in the gun for the 441 ok, but then th 441 ball wouldn't ram in the 440 gun fer beans, and I couldn't tell by eye.

I had other very odd sizes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting