Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 05:03 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times

Advertisements

I hear that. All I have not in proper cans is black powder and I know it is. The stories are amazing for these few cans I have of it in coffee cans. Things like it is over 150 years old, and what it can do at that age. I use it and it has worked as well as new.

Mixed up smokless is another whole ball of wax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 05:20 PM

I have seen that too. Guy buys a vintage Cold in .38. Gets his hands on a old box of reloads at a gun show, and there is a squib. The guy thinks he missed the target and sends another rnd down the bore. End of gun, end of story, the squib is still in whats left of the barrel.

The funny part was he was wanting another vintage colt for free. Sorry Bub no can do.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:59 PM

Yup I sent one made by the russians down a single shot .22. It didn't sound right and I sure dind't send another down that tube. A cleaning rod cleared that jam... Only time that has happened to me.

I opnce suffered a chain fire reaction in my 1860 Colt repro. That was the very first time I fired this gun from building it as a kit. I have no idea what really went wrong, but I think a spark somehow got under the the cap/ clyinder to the right of the one I fired.

Nothing seemed usual and as far as I can guess, it had to have occured at the very first shot. When I went to fire the 6th round the gun went click, no pop from the cap either.

I re-capped that chamber and broght it around and fired that cap and it popped, but no boom.... With that I placed the gun pointing down range and left it 15 minutes. After that time passed I pulled the cylinder from the frame and set that down taking some steps away to the rear of it and to the side trying to see of there was still any ball in there.

I couldn't see well enough, and decided to go check the target. Sure enough there were 5 in a group and 1 flyer.

After that I looked over the gun real well and could not find any leading or any other flaw, not any damage what so ever. That gun has never done that since, and I only load 6 when I will shoot them all right then. Only a fool would load all six and holster a gun like that.

My Ruger Old Army has the same set of rules, any black powder six shooter should.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:03 PM

I agree, but it's pretty tuff the first time a new gun is fired and it happens on the first shot. I had to stop and figure out how that happened. The key was having number 6 fail to pop and fail to fire the 2nd time when it popped.

My head at first was screwed up six ways from Sunday. It had to be the first shot and the 6th went down range the first time that gun was ever fired. I was experienced by then with BP and had my Ruger a while before the Colt clone. I built the colt clone myself, and it is almost flawless. I didn't have a leeter in the alfabit.. I need to go see which letter I munged up making Samual Colt Address New York ( I was missing the L in Colt and used a F upside down LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting